5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2011 4:43 PM by nanaglo45 RSS

Crystal Gateway Marriott

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

IMAG0139.jpg

Anybody ever stay in the hotel? (I'm sure the answer is yes, but...)  I've never stayed in any of the 600+ rooms.

I gave a talk in one of the conference rooms at this hotel hotel this morning.  I can't count the number of times, over the years, I've been there, attended dinners (including some over-the-top black tie events), participated in conferences, etc.... 34,000 feet of conference space - lots of walking to get to some of the venues....

As I recall, the hotel opened in the late 1980's - at the time, supplementing the then-dated Crystal City Marriott (now known as the airport Crystal City - only a block or so away). It was strikingly modern (and, frankly, somewhat exciting).  There was no Pentagon City yet, and, accordingly, no Ritz Carlton a few blocks away.  Now, some 20 (or 25) years later, the place has been renovated, the lobby looks good, and there's some great art on the walls....  Parking underground - where the renovation has not yet reached - reminds one that the place has been there a while....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Crystal City, Virginia, USA
  • Re: Crystal Gateway Marriott
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Been  there many times and have enjoyed the ambiance a lot even with the un-updated look.  Best place to catch the subway in the AM anytime of the year since you never go outside.  Unless they have changed the numbering system, suite 1601 is the best of the best rooms there.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

I stayed there 2 years ago, had a great room, was treated royally and I wasn't even a Gold Elite yet. I am headed back there for 5 nights next week and now that I'm Platinum I'll get to visit the Concierge Lounge and maybe even get a better room. (I'll see about room 1601....) I was especially appreciative of the proximity to the Metro without having to walk out in any inclement weather enroute. The staff were all super and the bellman was especially helpful and knowledgable.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Dear Nanaglo, I logged about 300 mights there over a decade or so, and was always welcomed back no matter what time I checked in.  I found the staff to be caring, and I still keep in touch with a few of them.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

ssindc:

This is a great hotel with a great staff. Last January I was 'stuck' in Boston on a Tuesday with an approaching snowstorm that was going to shut down the airport and force me to stay with the winter weather in Boston until Saturday. Yuck! My flights had been cancelled one by one during the day and the last flights were ready to depart. The last flight to my destination had just been cancelled. I asked to be put on any flight that would get me out of Boston and they booked me to Washington with no guarantee that the flight would leave.

I called the Platinum phone line (without time to complete a reservation as they were boarding the plane) and asked the rep if she could book me into a Boston and DC hotel and ask them to waive the late cancel condition because of my circumstance (not knowing where I would wind up). She said she would and would leave a voice mail message for me on my cell phone for when I could turn it on again. When I arrived in DC (many hours later) the voice mail told me I was booked at the Custom House in Boston and the Crystal Gateway Marriott in DC. Both had agreed to waive the late cancel and that I should just call the one I was not staying at.

When I arrived at the Crystal Gateway, the front desk welcomed me from Boston, thanked me for my Platinum status, apologized for my tough day of travel, said he would credit me the points and send a 'package' to the room to take the edge off (wine and cheese). He also said he would CALL the Custom House to insure my cancellation was taken care of if that was OK by me. It had all been put in an e-mail record of some type that they and the other hotel had all the info. What service by both the Platinum line and the hotel to accomodate my issues!! These folks at the Crystal Gateway were top shelf in taking care of me after a long day of aggravation due to weather. It'll remain one of my favorite places.

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

Oops! As I have done before I mistook the Crystal Gateway for the Crystal City Marriott, the latter being where I have stayed before and will be staying next week. It is smaller than the Gateway and I usually prefer less rooms when possible. So since I have NOT stayed at the Crystal Gateway, I can only direct  my earlier comments about the Crystal City Marriott which I think is super. Just clarifying.... not that it probably really matters to anyone...