5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2011 5:59 PM by anadyr RSS

Free B&B for Veterans

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This Veteran's Day, as in the past, many Bed and Breakfast Lodges will offer a free night to veterans.

http://embracingbeauty.com/2011/09/20/free-bed-breakfast-rooms-for-military-and-vets-on-nov-10-2011/

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Free B&B for Veterans
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Very nice.  I would also suggest that for those who have time visiting a VA hospital is never a bad thing to do. Many vets are there for a long stay and appreciate any visitors. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

SteppingStones -- I'm glad you brought that up.  As you know I have visited our wounded heroes at WRAMC several times and even posted about it here on insiders.  There is nothing more appreciated by our troops and yet so humbling to me.  I'm going to change my plans for Nov 11th and visit our VA hospital in Iowa City.

Great idea NUHusker--we can all spend a moment or longer with these brave men and women who gave so much so that we could be free!

I will say though, as you already know but others may not realize, as much as these troops love it when a stranger drops by for no particular reason, they don't want sympathy.  I just tell them thank you, ask if I can get them anything, if they want to talk I listen, and then I move on. And it's tough to leave them with dry eyes (mine).  It's tough to see what some of these folks are going through.  But I hope others will take the advantage of the opportunity and the honor of spending just a little bit of time with them.

Abraham Lincoln said it best:

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate — we can not consecrate — we can not hallow — this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced.

It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us — that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion — that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain — that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom — and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links