12 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2011 3:58 PM by jasper100 RSS

Trying to get back to Platinum

joda Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I have been with Marriott Rewards for well over 20 years.  Many years I was platinum.  Since my retirement I have been downgraded to Lifetime Gold.  Not sure how many of the young men I trained and traveled with have Lifetime Platinum.  I called Marriott last night and asked how this could be.  They said I was close, 19 nights and 200,000 points away.  I questioned why with Gold I have a 50 night stay showing and have 26 nights this year.  Wouldn't that push me over the 75 night mark. No, they do not count my 50 nights on my Life Gold.  Any way around this?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Trying to get back to Platinum
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Jo,  

Are you saying that if you stay 19 more nights and earn 200,000 points you will be elevated to lifetime Platinum?  If so, with your current situation, how long would it take to cross those two lines? 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

joda Gold

Not sure how long it will take.  We tried to figure that out last night when taqlking with Marriott.  Not quite sure why I'm not there now.  I spent many years on the road before retirning.  I was hoping to reach it before a trip next summer. The 19 nights won't be a problem it will be the 200,000 points.  I've been reading this site trying to find ways around getting extra points.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I assume you have the Marriott Signature Visa Card..If not, then you could get a lot of bonus points by getting it? Also you can buy up to 50,000 points if that is an option!!!

Another thought..wait till November/December time frame and buy a $2500 gift card..and get the 25,000 bonus and if you use the Marriott Signatur card, you will get another 12,500 points.

I hope they continue this program in 2011..I assume they will since they have had it for the last five years or so. I always take advantage of it and get these easy to get bonus points.

joda Gold

Yes, I have the Marriott Visa.  Perhaps if I call them and say I'll switch cards or give me the 50,000 they are offering new customers.  I've had this card for years.

Like the gift card idea!

I assume you have the Marriott Signature Visa Card. If so, they won't care if you tell them you will switch card, imho. You can try but I will predict that will not move them to give you the bonus points.

salomone Gold 10 Reviews

I was going to cancel my Marriott Rewards Chase Visa card and apply for the Marriott Rewards Premier Visa card to get the extra 50,000 ponits until I read the find print stating that you are not entitled to the points if you already have a Marriott Rewards Visa Card.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Correct - I have both cards and another fine print - only one cat1-5 gift certificate if having both cards. Frankly, I'm not sure why I have retained the MRVC since I have the MRPVC other than cancelling a card can reduce FICO scores.

Here is another thought to garnish extra points....If you do not have an American Express Platinum or Gold Card, there are some very good promotions going on to get points. You may want to look into it..Once you get the points, you can transfer them to the Marriott. Then cancel the card after one year, realizing like Pingreeman noted, that your FICO score could be impacted. Just another thought!!!

coupons Gold

I believe that Amex and Marriott Rewards severed ties.

I did not know that..Thanks for the correction!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...