9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2011 1:04 AM by anadyr RSS

Where's this?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

es.jpg

Hint: In the Northern Hemisphere to start.

Near but far from the madding crowd, to subvert a phrase.  Incubation area for many species of flora and fauna.  Part of the national refuge system.

Anyone know?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Where's this?
    arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Hmmm......

SS, I thought this one mightn't be a problem, but then I looked again.

Part of the difficulty is that the "clue" in the question seems to lead us up a cul-de-sac.

1.     "Far from the Madding Crowd" - apparently unproblematic: the title of Hardy's fourth novel - in which case it would be set in Hardy country - Wessex - basically Hampshire and Wiltshire in UK. But it doesn't look quite like Salisbury Plain, if for no reason other than you'd expect to see a few old tanks buzzing around too, or alternatively a major microbiological research centre.

2.     The words themselves - "Far from the madding Crowd's ignoble strife" - come from Thomas Gray's "Elegy in a Country Churchyard", in which you'd expect the answer to be Stoke Poges in Buckinghamshire, no more than 30 miles from London - but that doesn't to fit the image either.

And so........I concede and await the wisdom of others.

Have a good week-end

A

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

If you have not yet been nominated for the Nobel in Literature I made that nomination now!

Here  is the website for this locale

Thanks for brightening my Friday

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Alas, it is one of the gaps in my CV - therefore I accept.

Thanks for the link. Well, I was in the right hemisphere, but the continent ... not quite!! It looks like one of those fascinating places which cater for all tastes. I must confess that there are moments when I greatly envy your place of residence. I've not be there since 1968 when, as a young, very naive postgraduate, I came to a summer school at UCLA, and decided to take the opportunity to drive up the Pacific Coast Highway to Stanford and SF. It was a strange time; Bobby Kennedy's assassination was recent; Watts was in turmoil; and Vietnam was already casting a dark shadow. I remember meeting some Navy guys in a bar - the Redwood Lounge, I think - near the Point Sur base and getting totally plastered. When I found woke up the next day, and wished I hadn't, I found a note in my pocket - "Dinner on the Navy at 18.00". Feeling like death, I turned up. And so did they.

On your "better or worse" question -  though, like you I'm sure, I'm fairly sceptical about "instant fixes", I'd nevertheless agree that the site is a more enjoyable place these days. The reason? - for me, it is less about the architecture of the site, more about the diverse mix of contributors, the range of topics/themes under discussion, the more imaginative use of images......  and an apparent (relative) reduction in the rate/range of complaints, at least for the time being.

Do Insiders ever meet?

Have a good week-end?

A

We should have a reunion and I know just the place!  Anyway, iot would be nice to have a meet and greet sometime on the dime of Marriott (no points deducted of course).

And now that we have Stewards we should be getting them to arrange this!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I would be glad to arrange this if you slip me a few of your Marriott Shares and put me up in a suite at one of your fantastic hotels in California!!!

Just sold my house in Atherton for 53M or we could have had it there.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I was just offered $1 million for 300 of my posts. Should I accept that offer?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...