This discussion is locked
Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

35 Replies Latest reply: Oct 30, 2011 10:24 PM by anadyr RSS

Warning: Censored for abusive statement

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Recently one of my posts was censored/deleted by the community manager.  I think it's in the best interest of other Insiders to see what the community manager says about why the post was censored/deleted along with the lecture and warnings not to insult, attack, or flame, none of which do I think I was doing in the least.  Also, note that even though the cm censored/deleted my post he/she admittedly doesn't think I reached the abuse level, yet I was chastised and warned that personal attacks, insults and flaming would not be tolerated.  Maybe it's just me, but I'm not gonna let anything anybody on this site says cause me to feel abused.  My correspondence via private message with the CM is below with the CM responses in red.

Subject:                                            Private Message: Re: why was my post censored/deleted?

I have sent two direct messages as instructed by the community manager, but have not received a reply as to why my post to the "why" thread was censored/deleted.

Greeting nuhusker and thanks for your patience. The post was marked as abuse because of the overall tone of the statement. Although I personally agree with your statement about the relevancy of the entire thread, we do ask everyone to be respectful of others (Insiders and Marriott associates alike).

The tone of my post was a joke.  Maybe you re-tune the sensitivity setting on the abuse meter.  I've read plenty on this message board that makes anything I've said look like small talk.

Hi nuhusker, That may very well be true, but the point is that not everyone may recognize the joke. The term "abuse" is used for all cases of moderation, regardless of their reason, so although this post was marked as "abuse" the default term may be strong in this case.

We encourage a healthy exchange of opinions. If you disagree with another member, please challenge the opinion or idea — not the person. Personal attacks, insults and "flaming" will not be tolerated. You may challenge others' points of view and opinions, but please do so respectfully and thoughtfully.

Thanks for your cooperation and participation on Insiders!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Warning: Censored for abusive statement
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I assume that the accuser of the abuse was not shared with you. I thought in this country, you have a right to know who the accuser is so that one can be more sensitive when dealing with that individual plus to get a perspective on why they considered it abuse.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Roger that, Jasper.  Anonymous...or maybe it was the CM who took offense, although he/she claimed not to be.  At any rate, I think its important for others to see that the sensitivity scale is set very low. 

Unfortunately, when incidents like this occur, they make one reconsider whether or not they want to significantly contribute to the site. I know I have been criticised for several of my postings, which makes me feel like reducing my participation on this site, however, I will not let one or two individuals deter me from actively participating on the site, unless I feel that too many feel that way.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I had two posts deleted by  the former CM in Insiders 1.0 and 2.0. In one case it was for use of a single word (which was not profane or threatening I might add). The word involved described the verb that denotes the process of removal of facial hair through the use of a sharpened steel blade!  But it was seen as offensive and outside the lines by an automated or human censor. I gave up.

Problem with humor is that not everyone gets it and some take offense at every little thing, sometimes not seeing the big picture. 

Sorry that it happened to you.

I would hope that we all have a sense of humor..Shame on those that don't..wait a minute, I may get censored for this comment!!!!

If I could find that "report abuse" button I'd click on it! 

"A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road."

Henry Ward Beecher

To paraphrase the great American philosopher, Brad Paisley...when we see a deer, my wife sees Bambi and I see antlers on the wall.

And so it goes with my lame attempt at humor.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I seem to recall that someone on here was recently pleading for the censors to save his/her honor...funny how things that go around come around. I say, let it all hang out.

painedplatinum -- that's funny.  I assure you and everyone else it wasn't me.  I'm too proud to beg and plead.  And there are probably some people I've met over the years who would accuse me of having no honor.  I like your take on it...let it all hang out.

We have short term memory loss!  Or just forgot!  Or none of the above

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

"Trouble maker", me, got censored for trying to send you information about the famous automobile show/parade/event at Pebble Beach.  I don't remember the event, I had never heard of it before.  I think it had something to do with Rolls Royce.  It's all your fault!

Likewise, got into trouble for mentioning a Marriott Employee in a compliment, but stated the full name.  I agree that is a problem, and I never did that again.

It seems like the members who have a lot of posts seem to get themselves in trouble. I guess trying to be a good contributor can sometimes land you in "jail". The more posts one makes, the more likely you will either offend someone or make an unintentional error of judgement.

jasper, that's probably true...the more I open my mouth the more I tend to put my foot in it.  But in this case, I don't believe my comment warranted the personal warning from the community manager about personal attacks, flaming....It was the com mgr that blew this thing out of proportion.

Steppingstones, I recall the poster you referred to earlier who couldn't seem to get along with anyone who was offended by cigarette smoke.  I thought he was entitled to his opinion and never once felt insulted, attacked, or flamed by anything that was said.

I take full blame for all errors of omision and commission, whenever they occurred, are occurring or will occur!

Actually not but I feel better having said that.

But I digress. I take some issue with Jasper (whom I greatly admirenot only as an up and coming poster hot on my heels) on the relationships to number of posts and making censorable comments.  We can make it every time, even if we only post once in a blue moon.  I have seen single posts that made me wince, or should have been censored. I have also called my POC (when an Ambassador) to report solicitations, lewd comments, or other questionable posts.  Thus I was shocked when I was censored for using a single word (shown above).

As a Superstar I would have expected some slack

You don't have to worry, I will never achieve you unsurmountable number of posts and frankly don't care if I do!!!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I want to make it clear to all members of the community, should they suspect me, that I was not the one who made lewd comments to SteppingStones.

ProfChiara

I think there is a difference between sense of humor and making unwarranted accusations. But as long as you find it very funny, let it all hang out!!!!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

pained

I clearly recall the whiner.  I'm sure you do too.  In my opinion, that person continues to whine.........

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

Wow, I'm getting worried now!! I haven't noticed anything mentioned that I would consider 'bad' in anyway. In my own 'real world' life, I am occasionally misunderstood (my tone or choice of words) and the written word obviously can be so easily misinterpreted when one least expects it. Hmmm, I don't know what else to say....I don't want to be censored...I cry easily.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I know I've been pegged twice by the CM (once it was deserved ) and also believe a comment back to me should have been censored. But that was a long time ago. I'm happy to report that I'm a nicer person now.

fhllast4ever Platinum

Whaaaat?  Marriott platinums pegged, censored, castigated, slapped on the hand by CM's for comments on this site?

In my book you are all superstars for depositing a lot of money at Marriott properties and for spending a lot of time on this

website sharing your opinions, emotions, experiences  and wisdom.  You all deserve to be loved, nurtured and be showered with

more perks!

Wow..I agree with you 100%. Thanks for your encouraging comments..Appreciated!!!

Absolutely!  Wish the message was being heard at hotels too.

you had my vote at superstars!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Husker

I would definitely dissent on the OInsiders support and find you guilty!    Seriously, who knows what trips someones trigger, but as you said, the owners have all the cards. 

Agree too!

I tried to inform SS about an event and got censored. That was awhile ago, no hard feelings.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings, In the interest of absolute disclosure, the vast majority of discussions and comments are posted in the community without a problem, as they meet the terms of use. Which means, just about everyone is abiding by the terms of use, nearly all of the time. That's excellent, thank you!!

Instances where posts or comments are moderated for not abiding by our terms of use are the exception, but let's keep the trend going. So what happens if a comment of yours is moderated? Please remember to keep calm and avoid making personal accusations towards anyone and kindly message the communitymanager to inquire as to the reason. We're happy to look into the matter for you and answer any questions, even if it takes multiple messages to get on the same page.

If I may ask, do you use an automatic screener to catch offensive language, words, or phrases.  I was disallowed for using the word "shaved" in reference to a person's head (as opposed to beard)?  More clarification would help since the offense was not aimed at another insider just a description of a thrid party.

I respectfully add these comments and I assure all insiders and the community manager that this will be my last public post on the matter of me being censored recently, but I wanted to update insiders on the most recent response from community manager.  I do apologize to any insider who has been offended.  If anything I've said/typed has been offensive to anyone, I shouldn't have said/typed it.  Period.  The community manager is right, what I intend as a joke, others could interpret to be aggressive or a personal attack?  That's probably a stretch, but the community manager owns the website.  The community manager takes exception to a phrase I used in an email to him and accuses me of making accusatory and disrespectful statements towards Marriott associates or other insiders.  Sorry, CM. Politically incorrect, maybe.  But not accusatory and disrespectful.  But respectfully, I find your description of anything I've said to be a direct insult to me.  But I'll do my best to play by the rules of the website and promise not to report abuse by anyone for anything you say. And, hey, how bad can it be...my Huskers won!

"Greetings again nuhusker, I'll be replying to your thread on the topic of abusive but I wanted to also respond directly. I've been away for business and after rereading the correspondence I wanted to apologize for coming across as though I was chastising you. That was not at all my intention.

Would it have sufficed to say that although the statement was intended as a joke, others could misinterpret it to be aggressive or a personal attack? If not, please let us know what you have a question with.

Now on a separate topic, we mentioned the bit about challenging opinions and ideas, not as a lecture, but in response to one of your posts where you said, come on Community Manager, man up. After the post was moderated, I imagine you were frustrated and possibly insulted, but please avoid making accusatory and disrespectful statements like this towards Marriott associates or other Insiders. We could have better separated the explanation of the moderated comment itself and how the situation was handled, but we would expect that we could respectfully resolve any future miscommunications directly and our private messages would remain between us.

Let me know if you have any further questions and have a great weekend!

Andy"

NU,

I really enjoy your posts, so please keep them coming!

When I read them I am constantly reminded about one of my favorite steakhouses, "Misty's" in Lincoln!  What a memorable place.  This may "Date" me but years ago, one of my real favorites was "Ross's" in Omaha.  It was destroyed by the big tornado years ago and I don't think it re-opened.  To me there are few places that enjoy their college than the people from Nebraska. 

Keep the posts coming, most of us have been "Censored", some deserved some not, but your posts are very good!

NU you are the best and the man most likely to be wrongly censored in my book!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...