6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2011 1:59 AM by anadyr RSS

What If?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Here's something for Platinum members to consider, especially life timers:  Suppose you had the choice to accept full Marriott Rewards benefits for a stay (Marriott Reward points, 50% Platinum member bonus, 500 point welcome bonus as a Platinum member, Elite Qualifying nights), or none of the above and a greatly reduced rate for the stay?

• Would you pay, let's say the regular rate of $599 plus tax (about 669 total) at the Marriott Marquis, Times Square, high season, to get one EQN, 5990 Marriott Points, 2990 points for Platinum membership, another 2990 if you paid with the Chase Marriott Rewards Visa, and 500 welcome points, for a total earning of 12,480 points and one EQN?

• Or would you be willing to forego it all and pay just $500 plus tax for the room alone.  Assuming you still had access to the Concierge Lounge as a Platinum member?

My question is aimed at a small group of Insiders for whom points are valuable, but EQNs are not.  And points earned may or may not have as much value for evyone when there is a cheaper alternative.  Marriott is not considering this alternative as far as I know, but from a marketing standpoint it follows the Priceline model--pay less for the same unsold room but get no points.

Love to hear what you all think.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What If?
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

For a hundred bucks more, I'd take the 12k pts and EQN.  After all, if I'm already paying 600$ for a room, money isn't an issue anyway.  $600 for a room...I can't imagine!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Yep and all it comes with is a bed!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I'm following your train of thought Stones, but I'd pass at this level. Now if the room started at $199 and I could get it for $99 then I'm in. Also, I'd like to have the option for each stay versus have to declare prior intentions.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Pained

agreed.  I would go for the savings if it were substantial.  Otherwise, no deal.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Agree with both of y'all.  For the difference of 199 v. 99, I'd forego the points, eqn, etc.  That's a whole lot different than 599 v. 500 though.

Dear PP et al, perhaps we've seen there is a price at which we'd forego the amenities and points.  I used that example to show about a 20% reduction, but deeper cuts would work as well.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...