14 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2011 6:02 AM by arkwright RSS

OTMH?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Other than Marriott Hotels that is.

During the eighties I had the good fortune to travel to the UK frequently and the US Embassy frequently put me up in the London Elizabeth Hotel, adjacent to Hyde Park, near Bayswater Gate.  A few times I was fortunate to get thLE Suite.jpgeir Hyde Park Suite, 700 square feet of Victorian antiques and two matching 1850 fireplaces,  It was a fine old place, and a lovely walk to the seat of government.The staff were mindful of the need for privacy amongst their official guests, since this was the time of the IRA attacks then taking place throughout the capital.

Nearby pubs and restaurants made this the perfect place to rest and do business when in London.  Have any other Insiders been to this establishment?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England
  • Re: OTMH?
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I have not been at this hotel..It appears to be only for SuperStars!!!! Very Nice Suite

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

SS,

I think I was keeping an eye on you from the other side of the road!

A

Speakers Corner? Abbey Road?  The Long and Winding Road?

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Well, it clearly wasn't an Octopus' Garden.

Get Back (to travel)

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I had some projects out in the country side of the UK and found that there was limited accommodations in most areas.  Certainly no big brands like Marriott, Hilton, etc but what we did find was a Best Western in a lot of the places.  Now here in the states, Best Western is pretty far down my "places I'd consider" list.  In the UK however some of the properties were simply amazing.  A good number are old country estates or manor homes or some old castles.  One place we did stay at for a good bit of time was the Orton Hall BW in Peterborough.  The property was nice, definitely could have used a remodel of the rooms/beds but generally it was just great.  The property had 20+ acres of gardens and various buildings.  The staff were amazing and it really did just as good a job of customer service/meeting expectations as any courtyard or residence inn I've been to over the years.

Here's a few pix of the property from the BW site (dont have mine on this laptop ).  Overall all of the BW properties we stayed at while in the UK were great and I would have no problem recommending them if you were going to be out in the country side.  As with everything YMMV and you should research the properties but its hard to beat a night in a property that, in some cases was originally constructed before most of our country was discovered

orton2.jpgorton3.jpg

orton4.jpgorton9.jpg

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Wow Great Pictures..Thanks.

Thanks!  Cant take credit for the actual images but the property is pretty nice   I'll try to locate my pix from the site, there's some pretty impressive interior features they do not post pix of on their site.  Lots of things within a short drive of there so we enjoyed our time there for sure.  I actually racked up Diamond status with BW on that project and also managed Platinum with MR that year.  We stayed at 3 different BW properties while in the Cambridgeshire and Oxfordshire areas over the course of almost 5 months, each was very nice with its own charm and this one was the "youngest" having its roots as a 17th century manor home.  If you ever get up that way, check out the Peterborough Cathedral, its pretty impressive to say the least!

Zukracer,

I would never have believed this - even though I've been living in UK, off and on, for a long time. I wonder how the BW presence came about - and when? I've stayed at BW's elsewhere in Europe - Spain, for instance - in some impressive buildings, but nothing that quite matches this one.

Truly fascinating.

Many thanks

Hi Arkwright,

I stayed at a few and we stopped in at a few others while driving around the country.  I was there in 2007 and 2009 so the BW chains have been around a good bit it seems.  The rooms I got when I made diamond were really something pretty cool, I think more so that it was in the "main house" and up the grand staircase rather than out in the out buildings.  All in all no complaints with my stays at any of them.

This one looked impressive but I did not stay at this property.  They were nice enough though when we walked around the grounds    They really do have some pretty nice places...they equally have some pretty average spots as well so its all in where/what you are looking for when you look around.

http://www.bestwestern.co.uk/Hotels/Studley-Castle-Hotel-Studley-83891/Hotel-Info/Default.aspx

studly.jpg

Zukracer,

Many thanks. I'm sure that is a fair assessment.

Best regards,

A

Certainly a far cry from the Best Westerns in which I've stayed.  A new addition for my Bucket List, thanks

if you add to the bucket list, check out one of the castles they have for properties.  Some are pretty amazing and when we were there, the rates were pretty cheap

Will do now that they matched my status!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...