14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2011 8:38 PM by anadyr RSS

Melding

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Why can't the Marriott.com page, which seems to be getting more useful every day with a full month view of rates for given hotels, meld with the Insiders page?

Here's how I would do it:

1. Every time a post is made on Insiders for a place that is in my future reservations list I would get an indicator on Marriott.com's page.  This would alert me to a travel related comment which might impact my stay in some way or even change my decision to stay at a location.
  2. Each time I would post about a place that I have been or want to go on Insiders a small popup would tell me the number of times that I have stayed at this location or what other posts I have made on the place or a hotel.
  3. Every time I would select a hotel for a future stay on Marriott.com I'd get another indicator that there are (insert number) posts on Insiders about this area or hotel.
  4. When I make a reservation or inquire about a place on either site have the opportunity to go from both sites to a reservation screen without toggling back from Insiders to Marriott.com

What I am suggesting is that the two sites be melded so that I can find my way easily from local interest to reservations and back again.

Comments?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Melding
    chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Wow! ... I had to read that a couple of times to really get a grip on it ... you certainly do come up with some interesting ideas.  It sounds a bit like Nirvana ... it would be nice but I would settle for item 3 with a link to the posts.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Too much time on my hands I suppose but thanks

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I'm beginning to re-think my retirement plans.  Work may not be so bad afterall.

Well, some accused me of being retired on active duty for thirty years (old joke: man takes taxi from National (now Reagan National in DC) to meeting, passes a large government building and asks the cabby, "how many folks work there?"  Cabby answers, "bout 50 percent!") but retirement (if I ever get there) has its challenges. Here's why --  Henny Youngman often quipped, "Marriage is a three ring ceremony:  wedding ring, engagement ring and suffer-ring!"

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Good one SS.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I'm still dizzy, give me a few more days to work this out.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

ss

so you are suggesting that Marriott actually bring you potentially negative comments about a location you are considering?  why would they do that?  It's one thing to allow the community to discuss plusses and minuses of a property, but to bring those minuses to you readily doesn't seem like a great idea for them.  A site trip advisor that has no vested interest is one thing, but this is like Macy's sending customers to Gimbels.  It worked onMiracle on 34th street, but I don't think its practical in this case.  Am I understanding your idea correctly?

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Quite interesting. I would be happy to simply have a hotel-to-MRI-review link that would show reviews on the booking page, a la amazon.

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

Phew, I'm dizzy, too, but still some very interesting ideas....

heatherjt Marriott Associate

These are some great ideas steppingstones.  One of our focuses for 2012 actually is integration between Marriott.com and Insiders.  We've already begun including Insiders posts on Hotel Websites and over the next few months we'll be expanding these feeds to places like the Marriott Rewards landing page and My Account/Upcoming Reservations.  We haven't yet figured out the best way to integrate with search but we agree that there is a better way to help users who are researching or booking to use Insiders information as part of that decision-making process.  You raise a lot of interesting intersections that we'll evaluate as we work through this.  Thanks!

Thanks Heather. I hope that the site will continue to grow and evolve as we move along.  Some king of logical search, a la Google's, would be helpful as well as the ability to selectively filter in or out types of comments.  Most of all I wish the system would automatically assign tags based on content (this is not a big deal like the AI based natural language program that underlies  SIRI, the new i-Phone app, but a simple gmail-type assignment of tags based on content.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...