2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2011 2:25 AM by anadyr RSS

CC Ad Intel

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Today's Wall Street Journal reports that the two largest credit-card networks, Visa Inc. and MasterCard Inc., are pushing into a new business: using what they know about people's credit-card purchases for targeting them with ads online.

So if you use the Marriott Rewards Visa don't be surprised if you get adverts similar to places you've been or things you've purchased. Google already does this with gmail. 

I wish Insiders would consider using sme of this technology in deciding what words in a post could be tagged automatically.

Here's the link (whole article for subscribers only, sorry but there's a precis here)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: CC Ad Intel
    zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

SS the technology behind it is very old but the data they are mining is likely only recently "available" for their use in this way.  I worked for a company back in 1999 that actually could deliver you an ad based on your local area and your online browsing history.  There was a network of sites and a tracking cookie (same kinda technology used today) and if you were browsing for a blue honda accord, in a very short time you would start seeing ads for your local honda dealer with blue honda accords for the image every time you went to one of the network sites.  The network was pretty big and the software is still used in some form or another today by many many web companies, including MSFT

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: CC Ad Intel
      Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Advanced hindsight is my specialty, having once headed the Institute for....research into what should have been was our our motto

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...