3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2011 3:34 PM by zukracer RSS

Must be something to this hotel business

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

In an article today, as seen here http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/department-44714-hotel-island.html the federal government (actually, The Department of Defense will be the owner) is going to get into the hotel business. It is a truly beautiful location (right on the Gulf of Mexico), but the competition in direct proximity to the site is fierce, especially with all of them trying to get their business back after the oil spill that destroyed the tourism business in Florida last year. It says that they will not provide housing or force government employees to stay at the property, but I would guess that will change when it becomes operational.

Your tax dollars at work....maybe we'll get a return on this one.........

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Okaloosa Island, Florida, USA
  • Re: Must be something to this hotel business
    zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Actually the DOD has a long standing history of operating "hotel" like properties on the bases.  I worked a project in the UK where we were allowed and choose to stay on base in visiting officer quarters.  It was no Marriott by any means but it was a nice stay and for something ridiculous like $27 USD/night it was a no brainer.  We were out in the middle of no where so literally the other option was a little hole in the wall place at a truck stop for 4x the nightly rate in pounds. 

This though sounds like a new departure for them, actually running a publicly accessible spot, so time will tell. If they can use the funds to keep their base going, more power to them  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

zukracer:

The island they are placing this on is truly a beautiful location, except when those big windstorms come thru.....thanks for updating me on the DOD having other properties. I didn't know that . Since I like to learn one new thing everyday, you've made my day complete!! Now, I can head for the golf course......

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Hey Tef, no worries very happy to know I have helped make at least one person's day complete, mine is on a treadmill set on never end

Hit a few extra balls down the course for me

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...