1 2 3 15 Previous Next 215 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2013 9:13 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Rank Your Top 5 European Cities

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Having been across the pond infrequently, I'm looking for some manner to narrow the many options over there. We're thinking Dublin, London, Paris, Rome, and Lisbon. I've heard Prague, Krakow, Copenhagen, Barcelona, Brussels, Munich, Venice...are all great.  What are your thoughts?

If you could, please list your top favorites that you wouldn't want me to miss.

Many Thanks,

PP

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Munich, Germany
Paris, France
London, England
Garmisch, Germany
  • 1. Re: Rank Your Top 5 European Cities
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

London

Rome

Prague

Paris

Dublin

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: Rank Your Top 5 European Cities
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Great question!

Paris

London

Munich

Monte Carlo

Lake Como

• 3. Re: Rank Your Top 5 European Cities

The Lake Como I'm familiar with is in Jersey, between Belmar and Spring Lake.  I'll check out it's Italian cousin, thanks JC.

• 4. Re: Rank Your Top 5 European Cities
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Paris (city of lights), doesn't get any better than this

Monte Carlo (nothing like the mediterranean outside your bedroom window)

Prague (fascinating to see and talk to people about how this city has changed from communist rule to a free society)

London (listed 4 because I'm spoiled with my Florida weather...I don't like the rain...but this is a great city)

Bellagio (not a city, but on Lake Como) you can ferry to so many different, beautiful places on the Lake...and the sights are breathtaking!

Have a great time wherever you go....and let us know about it!!

• 5. Re: Rank Your Top 5 European Cities
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Venice

Córdoba

Avignon

Ghent

Rome

• 6. Re: Rank Your Top 5 European Cities

Prof,

Would a non French speaking American enjoy Avignon? I just read a bit of history and it sounds interesting.

• 7. Rank Your Top 5 European Cities
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Garmish

Paris

London

Cologne

Munich

• 8. Rank Your Top 5 European Cities

Eidelweiss? Looks very pristine.

• 9. Re: Rank Your Top 5 European Cities
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

For sure -- everyone at the tourist office as well as the hotels and restaurants I've visited has been able to speak English.  It's always useful to learn the basics of merci, bonjour, parlez-vous Anglais, and a few other phrases (not because they're essential but because people really warm up at the mere effort).  Besides the 14th C. papal palace and fantastic museum that dominate the city, you can walk out on the Pont d'Avignon (famous children's song from the plague times) over the Rhône and you can take day tours to places like Châteauneuf-du-Pape (some of the best wines in the world), the Vaucluse Valley, the Pont-du-Gard aqueduct and more.  Plus you're very close by TGV to very well-preserved Roman cities such as Nîmes, Arles and Orange.  In summer there are many musical festivals, and in winter (unless you can hit by the mistral wind) it can actually be pretty nice.  I drove there one Christmas from Dijon, where I was staying.

Hope this helps!
    ProfChiara

• 10. Re: Rank Your Top 5 European Cities
    chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

From a Brit perspective ...

London

Rome

Edinburgh

Amsterdam

Barcelona ... but I have never stayed at a Marriott at this location

• 11. Re: Rank Your Top 5 European Cities

Very helpful...I appreciate your time and detailed descriptions.

• 12. Re: Rank Your Top 5 European Cities

All good suggestions, Chris...even from a Brit!  Thanks

• 13. Re: Rank Your Top 5 European Cities
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

We had 4 out of 5 that we both enjoyed, while I have been to Cologne, (My buddies Father won the Cong. Medal of Honor there, Mr. Dyer, and his name is on the Cathedral's wall), I had not thought of it as a favorite place to go. but it is a beautiful city.IMG_1111.JPGDSCN0144_0115.jpgDSCN0131_0105.jpgDSCN0034_0024.jpg

Location Brand Hotel
    Munich, Germany
    Paris, France
    London, England
    Garmisch, Germany
  • 14. Re: Rank Your Top 5 European Cities
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Flew into Cologne/Bonn airport a couple times on official business, via Luftwaffe (yes really) passenger jet.  Love the city and it's history.  Wrote a short essay about 4711 and had it almost published.

1 2 3 15 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...