This discussion is locked
Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

20 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2011 11:42 AM by chrisf RSS

Down with the count?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

What say we get together and form an opinion that the posting count is a bad idea, and should be scrapped.  There is so much recrimination out there in Insider land about who is posting for chat what reason that it's become a worry and a bother to read them.

So, do you vote with me to eliminate all references to posting counts or badges for posting?

Let me know please

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Down with the count?
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

You have my vote!!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

You have my vote.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Not only am I in agreement that the posting, or points, as some call them are eliminated, but also that the monickers such as novice, rookie, apprentice, rock star, super star (no malice intended SS, not trying to test your sensitivity) or any other go away also. This was, I thought, supposed to be about travel adventures, etc and not how many.....

TEF yes. All gone!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

If these rankings weren't helping me on the nightly social scene, I'd say get rid of them.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

You got my vote!  I spend too much time on this site and don't need to be reminded of that.  I really enjoy the site, especially now that I can post pictures correctly.  Likewise, reading about other trips/tips is fun.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Having moderated some fairly large communities (one over 40k users and another over 20k users) I have found post count to be an issue for both good and bad reasons.  The bad is that people seem to want to inflate their counts.  Perhaps its the little blue bar thingie on this site, the other sites were "titles" people earned by getting post into the system.  Sometimes people would post random things and even take 11 posts to simply write T H I S O N E W O R D. with each letter being a separate post.  While I have not seen that here I think the issue becomes one of general understanding.

The positive nature of post count is generally one of participation and knowledge, though sometimes one does not equate to the other.  In most communities a newbie will look to more experienced folks for advice, perhaps more for "how it works" than for "is this right".  There was a new feature put in for reputation, which was intended to help identify people for posting quality vs garbage but no one seems to be using it.

The two forums I have moderated, the smaller has kept post counts and titles visible, while allowing the membership to "work it out".  The moderator staff really has taken a step back and honestly people have really settled down and do not post ho like they used to do.  The larger forum we have hidden the post count but left it available in the profiles for all to see.  There are also badges associated to users, some for staff/role on the site and other for other stats.  There are simply stars for levels.  What we did that really seemed to sway all of the post count into a more positive direction was to create several sections in the site for "chit chat" and random things, where post count is not impacted.  Any post created or moved there didn't increase post count so that kept folks on topic more in other areas and identified true participation vs idle banter.

Not sure if any of this would apply here, but I do see some value to keeping a measure of participation and perhaps knowledge.  Is it post count vs a icon that shows up based on posts, who knows.

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

I vote YES, get rid of the silly points!! It is creating an unnecessary pressure to compete in some way (for me) to show that I am perusing the site. Before I used to look at the site frequently, but admittedly hardly ever posted. Nonetheless I enjoyed reading others' posts. Now I feel I MUST contribute so as not to feel like an OUTSIDER rather than an INSIDER.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I'm in.  Plus, I appreciate the fact (and I hope Marriott does also) that the person with the most posts is ths promoter of the idea.  see, we are a community, and we can band together when we want to.  good for us!

We are the world!!!!!!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thanks for your opinions, we'll take them into consideration along with the other suggestions for features or changes! If we were to change the labels for the different participation levels, what would you recommend?

what do folks think about having a small icon for your preferred Marriott brand or two under your screen name?  Perhaps also a bar under the user name separating it from the icons for the brand(s).  The color of the band would be the same as your post count badge thingy (blue = 50, orange = 150, etc) but without displaying actual post counts.  This would give users a way to identify post count levels should they want/care.  The icons would allow users to say "hey I'm a loyal Courtyard person" for example or maybe have an icon for "all brands" for those of us that vary from week to week.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

The old version had posters identified for, I think, 50, 100 and 150 posts. It stopped there. I think that's plenty enough to identify someone as a 'knowledgeable' participant. I wouldn't recommend any further post number identity. I like the icon idea. It might give further clarity to a posters level of knowledge about a particular hotel type....as long as the poster could update an icon (add or remove) if desired.

I agree, the 50, 100, 150 is probably sufficient....maybe add a 25 to encourage folks to get going?

The icons would only work if it was something that users could control and you would also want to limit it to 2 or maybe 3, any more you would just want to use the "all brands" or something similar

And since Plat.Prem. is such a popular topic these days on here, perhaps we can have folks status accurately reflected for standard, silver, gold, plat, plat prem and the plutonium level for the extra super special folks

Andy, the level that matters is Elite level which can be displayed by the colored block as it currently is.

I find it most interesting when reading a post  to equate the validity of the poster not via an artificial construct like participation.  What a person on Insiders has to say stands alone regardless of the number of their posts. 

Zukracer raises good points in his reply but I remain unconvinced that badges work in this communi

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

You have my vote as well, and I think getting rid of the status badges is a good idea too.

ProfChiara

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

elite level  -  yes

participation level  - no

any other badges  - no

by the way, has anyone seen lifetime stays show up yet in our profiles?  It's now the end of October...

Nope not yet on LTE status. Only Verizon seems to have gotten that one posted (4GLTE)

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

You have my vote, as well, and for all the reasons that have already been so well stated. Thank you, steppingstones, for providing this opportunity to sound-off on this.

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

I couldn't care one way or tother ... I ignore the points/names anyway ... and I can spot the MRI experts by the number of times their 'monicas' come up!  I have just found that participating in the community has been very helpful ... and It is great that one can sound-off to like minded individuals about some 'Marriott' difficulties.  We may not resolve the problems here but it helps to know that one is not a lone voice in the wilderness ... and that the Community Managers pick up on our posts ...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...