This discussion is locked
Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2011 10:35 PM by nuhusker RSS

What's the difference between a Private Message and a Direct Message?

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Thanks in advance for any help with this question.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What's the difference between a Private Message and a Direct Message?
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

One is private and the other is direct...LOL..I will be interested in hearing what the difference is!!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Husker...

I believe that when a Direct Message is sent it goes directly to your Communications page and shows up as a new communication on the meter and displays on the left side of the communications page as 'tef has sent you a direct message'. A private message is an e-mail that only goes to your private message box on your homepage (internal page we are taken to when we click on our name) and must be opened by you. Anyway, that's my non-technical reasoning.

I'm sure Pingreeman will chime in with the exacting difference.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Hi nuhusker - Thanks for the question, we've started a new FAQ to explain the difference but here's the gist.

Private and direct messages are two ways for Insiders to communicate directly. Direct messages appear in the Communications streams of only the people you send them to. Private messages on the other hand, do not appear within the Communications stream and are only visible to the people you send them to (on the Private Messages tab of their profile).

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I guess I don't see the point if both in fact are private.  Was there a problem with the private messaging procedure from the previous version of Insiders website that caused you to create the Direct Message feature?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...