21 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2011 1:31 PM by pingreeman RSS

Very unhappy with Marriott's reward program

jltodd Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I just completed 3 stays with a Marriott facility, for a total of 18 nights.  The total point rewards for this was 12,000, which is not even enough for one nights stay at their most basic property.  Have others had this same experience?  If this is the norm, I will be returning to Hilton's loyalty program where you are actually treated as a valued guest.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Very unhappy with Marriott's reward program
    jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

The points are accrued at 10 per dollar (except at Residence Inn, where it's 5 per dollar). The nights count towards status only, and the number of stays are immaterial in the Marriott world. So really, the ability to stay "free" is based on how much money you've spent, not how many nights you've already stayed; that's their particular measure of your value to them.

The math here tells me you're staying at a fairly low-cost property, or you've got some missing points (12,000 points / 18 nights = $66 per night average). Also, posting of points takes two to three days, so check your profile a few days after the last checkout; it you get an email folio, receipt of that is indicative of the points being posted as well.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

12,000 divided 18 nights equals 667 points per night. 

Staying at a RI or TPS gets you 5 points per dollar.

The rest 10 points per dollar.

IF you just signed up and had zero nights prior to these stays THEN, the average rate was either $133.40 or $66.70 per night.

The 18 nights would qualify for Silver and a 20% bonus going forward. If your 18 night stay is happening quarterly, you'll hit Gold and a 25% bonus by October. A couple of extra days gets you to Platinum by the end of the year.

Your current earnings, 12,000, could get you a points saver night.

Silver with the 20% would have netted 14,400 points for the same stays, Gold nets 15,000 and Platinum 18,000 plus 600-1500 for check-in.

IF you start in January, 2012 as Gold/Platinum and earn as you go with 18 nights/3 stays at the same properties per quarter THEN you'll be sitting on 60,000 to 78,000 to add to your account.  You can take a very nice trip for 120,000 points.

Hang in there JL, these add up quick.

powergirl Platinum 60 Reviews

I travel very often with my company. And shortly before the travel began, I researched all of the top chains (Marriott, Hilton, and Starwood). After thorough research, I found Marriott to have the best rewards program. Hilton gives you the option of earning points and miles, but it takes far too many points to redeem a one-night stay at their hotels.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

powergirl

well said.  One night at the NY Hilton  the week of 12/3 will set you back 50k points vs 20k for Marriott.  Marriott and Starwood apper to be much better values than Hilton.  I believe the polls share this view year after year.

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

I am not quite as analytical as some of my co-MRIs on this but have generally found that Marriott is better for me in its reward programme than Hilton.  However, I never quite made Diamond with Hilton, so may not be comparing like with like.  As powergirl and shoeman1000 state, I have found Marriott better value when redeeming points, especially using the Hotel & Air packages. Over the years, I also have tried a number of the major chains and these two are way above the others in my book.  I no longer use the Holiday Inn chain ... a lot of very bad experiences there.

mauisteve Platinum 20 Reviews

Depends on what your charges were and your status.  I am a premium level so mine may build more.  I can tell you this, I have stayed in Hawaii on points many times and even using "point saver points" and then being upgraded to ocean front rooms.  My wife and I are going again after Thanksgiving to Maui and staying 8 nights.  I get one night free then 25,000 a night.  Also Marriott usually runs promotions if you stay so many nights over 3 months you will get another 35.000 to 50,000 points.  I will get 70,000 to 100,000 points by this alone.

Mauisteve

jmeyers Gold

I would add to this that you can sign up for one of the rewards challenges - There are two challenges - gold and platinum challenge. For each challenge you get the status level as soon as you sign up. You then have 90 days to stay either 12 nights for the gold challenge, or 18 nights for the platinum challenge. As long as you complete the required amount of nights for the challenge within 90 days you keep the level for the remainder of the calendar year. If you don't stay the required number of nights within the 90 days you get bumped down to the level you would have achieved without the challenge. You can sign up for a challenge once every 12 months. If you sign up now you get until the end of January 2012 to complete it. Assuming you make it you then have that level for the remainder of 2012 regardless of how many nights you stay for the rest of the year.

There really is no reason not to sign up for a challenge if you travel a lot

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

JM,

Where can one read about these challenges? I must have missed it.

jmeyers Gold

I didn't read about it - my boss told me about it. He called to negotiate a faster rewards level accrual because he travels weekly. He was told about the challenges by the MR customer service rep. If you call into MR customer service and ask about the gold/Platinum challenges they will tell you all about it and sign you up for it. It was funny because I started by asking how I can accrue levels faster and they didn't tell me about the challenges. Once I asked about them the rep was more than happy to tell me all of the details.

To me this is the perfect time of the year to sign up because once you hit it you keep the level (platinum in my case) for the entire remainder of the calendar year. I will achieve it by the end of January and have Platinum for the rest of 2012. Actually if I had known about them at the beginning of October it would have been great since I stayed 4 nights in San Diego 2 weeks ago and wont get credit for it towards the challenge . The beginning of October  is the perfect time so you can be done by the end of December and have the level for all 12 months of 2012. End of October is close enough though

Also the MR rep told me the level wouldn't drop off (If I didn't stay 75 nights for the remainder of 2012) until Mid to end of Feb 2013 because of the way they review the number of stays you have in a year. If I didn't stay 75 nights in 2012 I can simply sign up for the challenge again in Feb 2013 and keep the platinum status assuming I make the 18 nights in 90 days at that time.

Hope that helps

J

fhllast4ever Platinum

The MR rep was encouraging me to become platinum (I'm short 5 nights).  I told her I do not see why I should strive to achieve platinum,

(don't really care for welcome gift or 500 points which translates to $6.25).  I would rather spend more nights at another hotel chain

so I can have two hotel chains to choose from when I'm travelling as opposed to just the Marriott chain.  Except for the 50% bonus points

for platinum, all the offers are the same.  Also as platinum, there's no guarantee you will be treated like you're somebody special (it's hit or

miss at most Marriott properties). So why sweat it?

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

Actually, Priority Club Rewards does give 50% bonus points on top of regular points (10 per $ spent) to Platinum status members at any of their properties.

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

Is this a hypothetical challenge or is this really out there? Wishful thinking or reality? If it's real, where do I sign up?!

jmeyers Gold

Its a very real challenge. Call into MR customer service and ask them to tell you about the gold/platinum challenge. The rep can sign you up. There's nothing online about it that I saw

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

All the major hotel chains offer a "challenge" of sorts. Hyatt will match immediately without any required stays - simply prove your elite status at any chain. Hilton has the 90 day challenge as explained. Starwood has something between Hyatt and Hilton (as explained to me by a co-worker). MR also has a challenge (but not sure of their details as I've never had to use it).

powergirl Platinum 1 Reviews

They sure do! I just ended a call with an SPG representative. She explained that while they no longer automatically "match" another hotel's elite status, they have a step-up program. Simply put, 15 stays over the next 90 days warrants platinum status. I'm seriously considering taking advantage of this opportunity, especially since I have three upcoming business trips each for about two weeks. My only concern is the fact that I will not receive my normal "platinum" perks during the next 15 nights. Any insight from my fellow MR loyalists?

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

The last time I challenged, upon check-in, I mentioned that fact to the front desk. I implied that I was "seeking a long-term relationship with the chain" and that I was hoping to be treated as "highest tier" with this stay. UPGRADE!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...