3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2011 2:25 PM by drbeagle RSS

Washington Marriott at Metro Center or JW Marriott in DC?  Which is better?

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I need a downtown DC hotel and am trying to decide between the Washington Marriott at Metro Center and the JW Marriott.  Are there any advantages to staying at the JW Marriott?  I am in town for business, and the Metro Center location is a bit more convenient and costs a little less.  But aren't the JW Marriott properties supposed to be more luxurious?  I don't mind paying a little more for better amenities.  Any advice would be appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Washington D.C., USA
  • Re: Washington Marriott at Metro Center or JW Marriott in DC?  Which is better?
    ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

You've got a lot of options in DC - if you include the RITZ options, it's literally dozens of choices - and, of course, location makes a big difference.  As a local, may I suggest that:

• the JW Marriott is somewhat of an institution - it's quite large - they do a brisk conference business - it's worth trying at least once - there are a handful of great restaurants nearby, and the White House and the DC Mall are close/walkable;
    • depending upon where your work takes you, take a look at the (smaller) Renaissance - I think they call it the DC Dupont Circle - it's a nicer scale, and it gives nice access to Georgetown, Foggy Bottom, etc.
    • if your budget permits, or if they're offering a nice rate, I strongly recommend the Mayflower.  (OK, I took my wife there for our 20th anniversary.) It's a classic, and their Concierge lounge is quite nice;
    • the big Renaissance, over by the Convention Center, is new(est) and nice, but it's not the right location for most tourists;
    • if you don't mind being on the METRO, consider the Key Bridge (in Rosslyn, Virginia) for the views across the river; and
    • the Wardman Park is huge (and, with its quirky layout, it's a monster), but it has terrific METRO access, as well as access to the Zoo and a string of nice restaurants....

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.... ENJOY!!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Washington Marriott at Metro Center or JW Marriott in DC?  Which is better?
      jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

ssindc,

That is a great report you made!

If a person can get a room on the concierge level at the JW, you have a historic set-up!  To look to your left and see The Capital, look out to your right and see Arlington Cemetery, and all that is in between, is a fantastic experience.  From there you can walk to Ford's Theater, Chinatown, The Smithsonian, Washington Monument and more.

Enjoy!

drbeagle Platinum 60 Reviews

It depends on your mobility and what you want to see.  The Metro Center property is very conveniently located close to Metro Center  stop  - if you come out the right exit you walk a very short block to the entrance.  The JW property is not as close to a Metro stop but is closer to White House and many of the memorials.