3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2011 5:41 PM by fds002 RSS

Marriott Houston North

luxinsider Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I'm currently booked at this property and to be honest, I only booked it because of the rate. I really would have preferred to stay next to the Galleria but  70$ including breakfast buffet for two sounds better than 289+tax at the JW or 249+tax at the West Loop (even if as a Plat I will also get breakfast at the other properties)

Has anyone got a recent feedback on this hotel? Renovation complete? Upgrade chances? Lounge?

I understand it is located in area that is sometimes dubbed Gunspoint. On the other hand, according to Houston police, in recent years this has been among the safest areas in town. Is the area really that bad if you're only there to spend the night? I'm really starting to get nervous about the hotel and the area and I'm actively looking every day for some less expensive rates in the Galleria District.

As another question: What activities and sights would you suggest for a first time tourist to Houston apart form the usual stuff like the Zoo, Kemah Boardwalk or the Natural Museum? I'm looking for something off the beaten path. And idea on where to find a "dive" that serves really good barbeque in the Houston area?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Houston, Texas, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Houston Marriott North
  • Re: Marriott Houston North
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Luxinsider,

Having stayed at both, you can't really go wrong with either.  I worked out of Houston in the 80's and really enjoyed the city.  My favorite BBQ place was Otto's, not far from either place you are thinking of staying.  It was a casual place and I used to see the late Sonny Bono there, and I am not sure if it is still in business.  For one great meal try Tony's on Post Oak, it was across the street from the Marriott I used to stay at.

If you can, just drive down Westheimer, from 610 and go West past the Galleria.  You will see it all, and if you see Mama's on the South side of the street, try it, I really enjoyed that place if it is still there!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I lived in Houston three different times. While Marriott North may not be the safest place to stay in Houston as long as you are careful you should not have a problem at that location..near the Houston intercontinental Airport. If you get a chance, you need to eat at Lupes, in my humble opinion, the best TexMex in Houston. The Chicken and/or Beef Fajitas are incredible, with the Beef Fajitas to die for. And the Margaritas are great. Have a great trip to Houston.

fds002 Platinum

Get to 1703 Shepherd Dive and try Pizzatola's BBQ Chicken, or Ribs. www.pizzatolas.com. In the same area is the Cadillac Bar for Tex-Mex. As already posted, Otto's was good.

I think the Greenspoint area has done another metamorphosis and gotten better. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...