15 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2011 11:20 PM by jasper100 RSS

Concierge Lounge access when specified in a reservation

nwdevotee Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have completed a reservation for a suite at a Marriott that specifies "Concierge Lounge access" as one of the features of the upcoming stay (along wirth costless valet parking). Subsequent to making that reservation, I learned that the Lounge would not be open during the early part of my stay (Friday evening through Sunday morning). What are the presumed obligations of the hotel under such conditions given the reasonable assumption that the stated reservation confirmation (containing statements of Lounge, parking and other privileges) provides a type of contractual arrangement? Clearly, the price charged for the suite includes costs for the various features specified. I realize what the implications are for a Platinum member who encounters closed Lounges on weekends (tough sailing) since I am indeed a Platinum member. But specification in a reservation that undoubtedly incudes related costs and would seem to contain contractual implications provides a different picture.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Concierge Lounge access when specified in a reservation
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

If you are not satisfied, why not just cancel your reservation and make a new one???

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nwdevotee Platinum 10 Reviews

Unfortunately. it is not possible to reserve the suite (highly desirable at this location) without getting the extras like Lounge and valet parking. Wish it were possible (being Platinum) but suites come only in "package" form.

Why don't you call the property and see if they will compensate you with free breakfast since the lounge is not open..I know at many Marriott properties  where the lounge is closed they give you free breakfast instead. By calling them, you can confirm this and they can document this in your reservation.

nwdevotee Platinum 10 Reviews

jasper100      I do believe I will follow your suggestion, although the issue of hotel responsibility given my specified conditions remains.

I agree. I am suprised there is nothing in the small print saying that concierge level is unavailable on the weekends. While convincing them to give you free breakfast, you should remind them of the misleading information.

astone14 Platinum 10 Reviews

I would never assume the lounge is going to be open on the weekend because in most places, the lounges close after 10pm on Friday until Sunday night snacks. I would guess that the place will give you complimentary breakfast as most Marriott's do when they either dont have a lounge/or you stay over the weekend; if the attendant doesnt mention it on the phone, bring it up because as a Platinum you've at least earned that privilege.  The fact that the benefit came up on the reservation is probably a computer issue that really cant be resolved especially you are staying some nights when the lounge will be open; I dont know how Marriott can do the algorithm/whatever to say LOUNGE CLOSED SATURDAY.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

Well, apparently, "lounge closed Saturday" is true in every Marriott in North America except one...The Marriott River Cree in Enoch.

I notice in London, they are open on weekends, which is very nice.

Segments Platinum 4 Reviews

Add the Palm Beach Gardens Marriott to the list... at least seasonally... (open 7 days a week Jan 1 - Mar 31)

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

Thank you - the information I posted was given to me by the hotel in question, and I know from personal experience that ones in the UK are open on weekends, which is really nice.

Yes, it would be nice for the Marriott to expand their Concierge Lounge to weekends, but probably would be too costly for them to do that. However, they should provide breakfast for Platinum Members as an alternative!!!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Unfortunately, I don't believe their suite bookings create any sort of 'contractual' liability on the part of Marriott to give someone access to the Lounge on the weekend. Their contract in a reservation only gives one access to the 'standards of their business' as it operates. if the Lounge is closed on the weekend, that's their implied obligation for the reservation. In other words, one only gets the everyday operating procedure on any reservation. A 'special' circumstance (that states 'we will have lounge access for this reservation every day') would have to be on the reservation to get the lounge opened outside of their everyday business standard. So, if their business model (standard) is that the Lounge is closed on weekends, that is what comes with the reservation.

Nevertheless, I agree with other postings that you should call the hotel directly and ask if they can take care of your breakfast on the weekend. I am sure that with the price paid for the suite and your being a Platinum member, they should be willing to accomodate the request.

nwdevotee Platinum 8 Reviews

tel6178

I'm sure you are quite correct from a legal perspective.  In short, I would not care to contest your argument in a court of law. But let's turn to another aspect of my position - that of ethics. Is it erthical for a hotel to provide the following information in a confirmed reservation when it knows that (because of the closing of the lounge in question) execution is impossible?

Room Overview

One bedroom suite

Special Benefits

This room features Concierge lounge access

Complimentary food

-Hot breakfast buffe   

-hors d'oeuvre

-dessert

Cocktails for a fee

Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages

Honor bar

Complimentary business service

The lack of ethics (or even honesty) becomes more dramatic if one imagines the closing of the lounge for a full week (because of remodeling or Christmas break or whatever) and the above specifications in a confirmed reservation for a "One Bedroom Suite" for that week. More dramatic, but the same ethical lapse. And I would say that the argument that the hotel might be kinder to me because of my Platinum status makes the ethical position worse, not better. If the hotel knows the lounge will not be open as implied in the reservation, it must so state and directly either provide substitutes (perhaps including breakfast) or reduce the charge for the room - regardless of the Marriott status of the customer.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

nwdevotee:

I'm not arguing with your position on the matter as I agree with your perspective in the entirety. But, as a matter of recent events in the positioning of Marriott regarding their decrease in recognition/service to/attitudes towards and general degradation of the Marriott 'spirit to serve' as we have known it to be, your dilemma becomes a reality we all are dealing with.

Should Marriott be more pro-active in regards to their reservation process when it may not deliver on expectations...as in your case? Absolutely. Will they? Probably not without your asking. Unfortunately, that is the reality of today. None of us are happy with it (as has been pointed out on numerous posts on this site by myself and others) but until the right person at Marriott gets the message we are all trying to deliver, nothing will change.

Marriott always seems to position their business with the course of my argument in the earlier post rather than doing what would be right for the 'customer'. That's why I, and others, have suggested a call to ask.

Good luck and let us all know the outcome.

Segments Platinum 4 Reviews

Typically I find the lounge hours posted in the room description and special closure notices posted on the hotel's home page.

When I've been at a hotel where the lounge was closed during otherwise "normal" hours, they offered breakfast downstairs, and a coupon for an appetizer in the evening.  Suspect they might do the same if you are paying for lounge access --- unless they justify that the highly desireable suite (in your words) is in such high demand for weekends that it justifies a higher price that is balanced by the lack of access on those premium weekends.

Not to mention that many International full service Marriotts are opened seven days a week!!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...