29 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2011 6:06 AM by chrisf RSS

Best meal ever?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Ok what was the best dining experience you ever had, and where was it?  Antywhere in the world?

For me it was last year, a midday experience in a private venue at a DC Ritz  that seemed to feature one culinary delight after another, each course paired with an excellent champagne and wines.  It lasted for hours, the chef explained the food preparation, the sommelier described the wines as they were poured, and the staff were extremely attentive.  Highlight of the meal was a steak of Kobe Beef flown in from Japan, eerily tender, and very well marbled, 

Worth a month's salary, but someone else paid!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Washington DC, Virginia, USA
Paris, France
Krakow, Poland
Washington, D.C., USA
  • Re: Best meal ever?
    arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

SS,

I might have guessed that you would come up with something as incorrigibly indulgent as this one.

Well, here's my sixpenny worth:

El Celler de Can Roca

In the Catalan city off Girona - one evening two or three years ago, with two great friends who had given an up a steady existence in the UK to seek a different life-style in Spain. Prefaced by an exquisitely dry Vesper, the meal was in fact a "tasting menu", running to nine "courses", each accompanied by a glass of wine chosen by the sommelier who was one of the three Roca brothers who founded and still run the restaurant - one the maitre d, one the pastry cook and the last i/c wines. The food was excellent, but it was really the cool, calm, quiet,genuinely welcoming ambiance of the place where every minute was to be savoured and remembered, that made the occasion. Cheap it was not...............but in terms of overall quality it was priceless.

Thank you

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

DSCN9542.JPG

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

Looks wonderful!

SS,

I just can't get over this menu!

"Sour red wine sauce"!  Never had it but it sounds great!

Got to go to dinner, with my Weber!

Keep the updates coming!  This is what the site is all about, travel and how to enjoy our lives!

Que comida buen hecho y marvilloso tambien!

SS

Sí, como los milagros van, en segundo lugar solamente a la inmaculada concepción

Claro que si, senor. Ojala que te vaya bien alla otra vez

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

In the Spring of 2009, I had dinner at Le Jules Verne atop the  Eiffel Tower in Paris.  We had perfect timing - enjoying the view from daylight through sunset into dark.  A truly extraordinary experience.   http://www.lejulesverne-paris.com/

Second place:

Cyrano de Bergerac in Krakow.  http://www.cyranodebergerac.pl/cyrano_home_an.htm

Simply splendid.

Location Brand Hotel
    Paris, France
    Krakow, Poland

Trs Bien!

ssindc,

I too really enjoyed Jules Verne, about a month ago!  It was very special, I would not go at 7 PM again as I had to wait for the place to open and had to go thru security screening.  Better to go later in the evening.

Likewise, i have been to Krakow, but not Cyrano's.  Krakow, if a great place, very good value, very beautiful place to go.  Will look forward to trying the rest. next time!  Thanks!

Jerry................

RE the above, and other previous posts on a similar theme, I confess to becoming a little concerned about your diet!

Enjoy

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

The year escapes me ( 1991-1994?)....

I was invited by Coke to dine at Jack's Firehouse in Phila. The proprietor and chef was a gentleman named Jack McDavid. Jack hosted a show on the Food Network with Bobby Flay. We were treated to an eight course meal. I was a bit  skeptical when Jack came to the table and announced that all courses were being prepared with a Coca-Cola product as a main ingredient.

OUTSTANDING!!!  Unfortunately, I can't recall all the dishes, but the one that sticks out was the South Dakota Black Bear featuring Cherry Coke. 

Jack's Firehouse has been a destination whenever I venture into Philly. It's still there today and well worth your patronage.

srcv67 Platinum

Varoulko - Athens Greece   www.varoulko.gr

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

SS:

This post really hits a soft spot with me. Just this past week, Michelle and I were reminiscing about a trip in 1993 or '94 when we took both sets of our parents to France, Monaco and Switzerland. Of course, I was a baggage handler for 15 days, but that's another story....

We were fortunate enough to have been comped 3 top floor suites at the Loews' Monte Carlo hotel (now a Fairmont) that juts out into the harbor in Monaco (I did business with Loews/Lorillard, hence the comp). The hotel had a limo at my disposal for the entire visit. I think it was a Bentley. We ate at this phenomenal restaurant called the Brasserie De La Mer. They had some 'famous' world class chef that Michelle knew of and said we just HAD to eat at his restaurant because we would never get to experience his cuisine again. It was absolutely exquisite!  Veal, steak, seafood, salads, soups. We had it all. Every bite melted in our mouths. The presentation was world class (and world priced). And that view....we sat overlooking the Monaco harbor area with all the multi million dollar yachts. We were treated like royalty. The staff poured over our table with a service standard that begets kings and queens. I had, and have never since, been treated that way at any other restaurant. The food was the best we had on the entire journey. The place was absolutely impeccably elegant! But, the best part was the joy on the faces of our parents who were living an experience they had never dreamed of ever being able to do. When finished, I was told that Mr. Loew's from the USA (not real name) had taken care of the expense and so there would not be a charge for the meal we had enjoyed!

Of course, sadly, we were remembering because her dad passed suddenly last week just as I was on my way to bring him to our home in FL for the winter. Wonderful man. I will never forget him as we did so many 'fun' things together.

Thanks for the post that helped me remember that wonderful experience!!

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Just about every dinner I've had in Paris has been memorable, regardless of price.

While I can't pin down any particular restaurant, I can the cities: Paris, San Francisco, New York, Berlin and Sydney.

Mikie,

So well put!  A street vendor in Paris is better than a lot of the places I go to!  Especially crepes, as I walk down the streets!

OK, if we're digressing into Paris street food, I'll take a crepe with Nutella and banana (every day, on the way back to the hotel)....  It's a good thing I don't live in Paris - I'd be spherical.

ssindc,

I thought it was just me!  How about the ice cream in the Latin Quarter?  Also love Quasimodo's, by Notre Dame.  Great bathroom stop and fun place for a cheap beer!

OK, so now, jerrycoin is making me hungry.  Is it time to discuss the finer points of foie gras?  Let me see if I can't get this discussion back on track.  For folks visiting DC, if you like foie gras, may I humbly recommend:

• Marcel -http://www.marcelsdc.com/ - it's ridiculously expensive (and the foie gras is often a special item with a price premium, which, alas, is absurd), but I highly recommend it for special occasions, and the odds are high you'll get a pleasant surprise if you're a celebrity spotter;

• Citronelle - http://www.citronelledc.com/ - another wallet buster.  Personally, I remain underwhelmed by the ambiance (which is a shame), but it's nearly impossible to criticize the food (taste, presentation, and appearance - oh my) or, for that matter, the service; and

• the Blue Duck Tavern - http://www.blueducktavern.com/gallery/blueduck/home.html - my only criticism with this place is that it's loud (OK, far too loud for my aging ears to enjoy polite conversation or anything romantic), but the food - oh my, the food.  While I'm on the topic, if you've got a weakness for bone marrow, do not miss the Blue Duck when you're in DC!

ssindc,

I am eating as I read you comments and now you have me hungrier!  These places sound great. Some bone marrow and fois gras is tough to beat.  Have you been to The Little Inn on The Washington?  (I may not have this named correctly?).  Have read about this great place, but never been, if you have, please share your experience.

Thanks!

Jerrycoin - your sources are rock solid (if not particularly price sensitive).  The Inn at Little Washington is considered by many to be the finest all around dining experience in the greater DC metropolitan areahttp://www.theinnatlittlewashington.com/   If you live in a world where money is no object, the afficianados would recommend that you also

Location Brand Hotel
                Washington, D.C., USA

ssindc,

Thanks for sharing this information!

This sounds like a great place to go, and I welcome the advice.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Having lived in the middle east several times, I really enjoyed the Shawarma (particularly the Chicken) in Abu Dhabi and Jordon.

Jasper,

Never had it but it sounds very good!

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

We're not frequent fine diners, but the 3 or 4 meals we've had at Craftsteak in the MGM Grand in Las Vegas have all been fantastic.  Particularly memorable were the steaks and the assorted mushroom sampler.

This points to a problem in my original post>  I should have asked what the best meal "you ever paid for" was, not a general question.  Thanks.

SS,

It's too bad there is no way to put photo's on our responses.  Pictures of meals and menu's would really add to your informative question.  We used to be able to publish pictures on our responses, but unless I am missing something, I do not see how it can be done.

OK Jerry

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

This is a really difficult one ... and a very popular topic given the number of responses!  I would have to settle on Latium in London UK ...www.latiumrestaurant.com  We have been to this restaurant many times and the food, service and wine list have met our expectations for an excellent meal every time.  There are two options on their A' la Carte menu ... two courses for £29.50 and three courses for £35.50.  If you happen to be in London, it is worth a try ... but best to book, as it is popular.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...