11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2011 7:35 PM by anadyr RSS

Tips for the City

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone see that the city of San Francisco is abuzz with an idea (getting some media play) to mandate a 25% tip for all meals eaten in sit down restaurants?  Talk about a job killer and reason to avoid those place! 

I for one tip generously when  it is deserved and make it a point to tell the server why.  Conversely, when  service is bad, I also mention that.

Tips--what do you do?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
San Francisco, California, USA
  • Re: Tips for the City
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

It's not a tip it's a TAX!  Count me out.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

What happened to the good old days when tips were given for good service? I have seen an increase in mandating tips, particularly when I was in NYC recently. Where I can, I try to avoid these type places since I, like you, am a believer in a tip is for good service, the better the service the better the tip..For poor service, I might leave no tip at all. Should be at my discretion and not the discretion of the government or establishment!!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

ss

who would make the mandate??  the city??  if so, then they have a revenue stream whereby the servers could not hide any tips.  Either way, I will not patronize any establishment that mandates a tip of ANY amount.  period.  btw, I would consider myself a generous tipper.

Glad you asked:

There's been buzz concerning a local waitstaff pushing to make 25 percent the tip standard for restaurants in the Bay Area.

It all started earlier this week when a Contra Costa Times column featured in the San Jose Mercury News stated that some media reports indicated workers from an unnamed restaurant were behind the effort to increase the tipping standard in San Francisco.

The tipping standard is usually between 15 percent to 20 percent. Some local diners are not too fond about news of the proposed price hike, and a San Francisco Chronicle blog even echoed the sentiment with the headline: "Mandatory 25 percent tip -- not a San Francisco Treat."

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I see.  well hopefully this local waitstaff will "mandate" themselves out of work.  Sounds like another effort to spread the wealth.  Gotta make a change in 2012.  that's my opinion.

Shoeman the publicity even for SF has not been good and the idea might die, but like all bad ideas they come back

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

My Golf & Beach Club tried this approach a few years ago. The restaurant used to be packed every night ( was open to the public).....until they put in the 'mandatory' tip policy of 25% and automatically added it on to the check. Been empty ever since and they have no clue how to overcome the disaster that unfolded after they implemented this fools game.

Then, with the restaurant having become a 'drain' on the entire operation (since nobody goes there now), the geniuses on the Board decided to raise the dues to overcome the loss of revenue from their stupidity.....every year. Had an equity member base of 400 and an equity waiting list of 130 or so before they started all this. Now have 227 equity members remaining and no waiting list. I realize our economy had a hand in this also, but the dues were only $180/mo for a beautiful golf course and restaurant (on the water) ownership stake....and, by far, the stupidity has played the biggest role in the loss of membership. Won't tell you what the dues are now, but you'd be shocked.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Tef,

These stories are sad!

Shoeman is right, things have got to change.  You can't tip/tax into prosperity, I will just stay home and grill out!

Grill on Jerrycoin!  My Weber is always cooking!

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

SF has become a "nanny city" regulating all kinds of social issues. I would rather go to McDonalds than pay a mandated 25% tip, but then, I can't get a Happy Meal" the way I like it as SF passed a ban on what this meal can contain.

Maybe Mickey D will soon offer tale service and waitstaff?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...