12 Replies Latest reply: Oct 20, 2011 5:10 PM by nuhusker RSS

MR points when not staying in a hotel

platinumstar Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

There are many fine dining options in Marriott hotels that I would gladly go back to again if I was to be rewarded with MR points when not actually staying in a hotel. A lot of businesses, especially restaurants are having a tough time and doing all sorts of promotions, but why doesn't Marriott offer its loyal members with points and that way I'm sure they would see their business and revenues improve. If members were to get MR points, then business people etc could take clients for lunch/dinner etc to their favourite Marriott rather than a local restaurant. It seems to make good business sense unless others think different?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: MR points when not staying in a hotel
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I thought if you use the Marriott reward credit card for restaurants, that you would get 5 points for every dollar you spend..Hopefully other insiders will confirm that this is correct!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks for the feedback Japser. I'm actually talking about dining etc in restaurants within Marriott properties when not staying as a guest in the hotel which would promote business and give us our reward points and regardless of how you pay, even if cash. However, I think you must be in the USA because here in the UK we only get 2 MR points for every £1.00 (GBP) that we spend and in actual fact, there no longer is a Marriott credit card in the UK - it was terminated a few weeks ago and now we get nothing at all. There is still no sign of a replacement Marriott credit card and anyway, as I have stated, we got a rough deal compared to US cardholders. My original suggestion is to go into any Marriott hotel restaurant, have a meal, pay how you want, but get the same 10 MR points per dollar as you would if you were staying there. It must surely be a win win situation for us and Marriott?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I like this idea PStar. It seems like an excellent way to bring local traffic into hotels.

Example...We live within 25 minutes of the Trenton Marriott. I have never stayed there for the obvious reason of proximity to home. We had the opportunity to dine in the restaurant when a long time friend was in town. It was GREAT!! We've been back a couple of times. We'd frequent the restaurant even more if I could snag some points.  This benefits Marriott by keeping the hotel top of mind when I make recommendations to folks looking for a hotel in the area.

Excellent reply, just the kind I was hoping to muster up! I live in central London (UK) where there are many Marriott properties and some really great restaurants which I have eaten in and like you, would be more of a regular if there was an incentive in the form of MR points. The JW Marriott Grosvenor House has a wonderful JW Steakhouse and the brand new St. Pancras Renaissance has an amazing restaurant called the booking office (its the old booking offfice of St Pancras train station where the hotel is now situated). These are just a couple of the restaurants but there are many more.

Yes, I agree that the Marriott should be able to put ones Marriott reward number in the system to generate points whether paid my cash, debit card or credit card.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I've frequented Marriott restaurants when not travelling and have received the 3 pts per dollar using the silver Chase card.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

lone6star,

I have also had that experience.  I believe as long as you are using one of the Marriott CC you get points for eating a Marriott restaurants.

Thanks for your input. However, the whole point of my original post is being missed. I am not talking about using a Marriott credit card in one of their restaurants, I am suggesting that to boost restaurant revenues and to benefit MR members, we are offered the normal 10 points per US $ as if we were staying in the hotel. If you then use a Marriott credit then of course you could benefit even further by gettting more points on your Marriott credit card (which we in the UK are unlucky enough not to have since Marriott stopped the UK credit card earlier this month). When restaurants are crying out for business I see no reason for Marriott to reward its loyal members with the full 10 MR points. I know I would use many more Marriott hotel restaurants when not staying there if there was a better incentive.

Thanks for clarifying your comment..I agee with you that it would generate additional restaurant business for the Marriott and they should implement a change like this. I will start a poll to get insider interest.

Thanks Jasper for setting this up. I've voted. Wonder if you could possibly make this read that its to get bonus points in the restaurants "when you are not checked in as a hotel guest" in case people think we are asking if they want bonus points on top of what they would normally get when charged to their room.

ankingspeech Silver

Hear, hear!!

Points for non- resident meals are a great idea - especially in the UK now we can't use the credit card to earn points.

Incidentally, I purchased a mattress cover from the Marriott's web site just before the UK Halifax credit card was stopped, and did not get double points - even though the purchase was from Marriott's. Can anyone explain how that can be?

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Several years ago while visiting Wash DC and staying with my son at his apt, we used one of the buy one entree, get one free coupons that Marriott used to mail out to platinum members.  We ate at the JW Marriott on Penn AVe...didn't get points for $$$ spent, but was able to use the coupon even though I wasn't staying at the hotel.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...