Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2011 12:16 PM by anadyr RSS

Covering the spectrum

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

walkman.jpgI appreciate the fact that many people see the Beatles as their parent's or grandparent's music, or that as a friend's son said, "a Walkman is some huge weird device to listen to music--it is so last century!"

Hey, many of us remember both of these things and might be saving our 33 and a thirds for the day we can find our record player to listen one more time, scratches and all.

Point is that we come to Insiders from different ages, times and places.  My fear is that the new  site is for a generation of which I am not a part.  If this is the case Marriott is playing a risky game of exclusion, and will find that other generations, like me, cannot and should not be taken for granted.

Wait I have to turn my cassette tape over in my Walkman now, but you get my point, like really?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Tokyo, Japan
  • Re: Covering the spectrum
    pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I empathize with your lamentations. Initially, I hated the new MRI with all its bells and whistles, but in a weird way, I enjoyed the challenge of conquering the navigation and tools. Now that I believe I have a good feel for the site, I think its OK. I believe Marriott HAD to become more facebook-like in order to draw the younger generation to its wares, those who have 40+ years of travel choices during their heavy travel years. My travelling is beginning to look more like a sunset as I near retirement, albeit not for another 15-odd years. But for every person like me the new MRI might turn off, they get roughly three times the return for every younger person the MRI attracts. It's all about marketing to the target audience, isn't it?

Now, where did I put my bamboo wood slide rule?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

The golden mean would be that most if not all of us found the new Insiders 3.0 site to be useful and user-friendly.  Sadly, that does not seem to be the case for many of us veterans of Insiders 1.0 and even 2.0.  Like standing on the deck of a 12 meter yacht off Newport in a force five gale, it's not been a good ride now has it?

I'd write more but my eight track player in the Olds 98 is on the fritz and I need to have that looked into.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I agree with Pingreeman. While I am not a huge fan of the new insiders, I find the more that I work with it, the more comfortable I am with the Changes. I would have liked to keep the old insiders in place but realize that is a pipe dream and I need to move on. Now I need to go listen to "Yesterday" on my 33 record player with my martini in hand and a towel to wipe my tears away. Yesterday was such an easy game to play and now I need a place to hide away, oh I believe in Yesterday!!!!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Hi Steppingstones, There's certainly no effort to exclude any of our members, and in fact, we've even made the site more accessible so members of any age can browse for advice and join in the discussion. As all age groups are increasingly using social media sites (86%, 18-29; 61%, 30-49; 47%, 50-64; 26%, 65+), we've added new features for everyone to use as often or as little as they prefer. It is an adjustment and we'll continue to evolve but thanks everyone for hanging around and helping to improve the community

Thanks Andy, and I hope it evolves as you've promised and quickly

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Everybody - This is really a difficult topic to respond to because, while I really do dislike the new Insiders, I also recognize that the observations made by pingreeman, jasper100 and Andy, our intrepid Community Manager, have validity. I've never thought of myself as being opposed to change, but change for change sake is something I've always distrusted. In many respects, I sort of feel as if that is what happened here, and I'm also disappointed that Marriott didn't do a survey and ask if we would like something that has been described as "like facebook." I know nothing about facebook as I don't and won't have an account because of the security issues/concerns I have with it.

I couldn't have put it better than steppingstones. We do all come to this from different generations and perspectives, and, I'm sorry to say, I feel as if I too am not a part of the generation that this was oriented towards. Perhaps if they put the instructions on navigating this new site on 78 rpm's and had a Kodachrome slide presentation, I'd feel better!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

I like the idea of a slide presentation, that's an excellent idea and I'd be happy to do that.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

This topic has me really laughing!  I too have had a hard time with the new "Look", but it's comments and opinions like this that keep me coming back.  I just wish that there were more "Travel" comments and questions.  Hopefully, many of the newer members will get more comfortable sharing experiences and asking travel questions.

Hope you get your 8 track up and running!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...