23 Replies Latest reply: Oct 20, 2011 4:30 PM by bbrowning RSS

US flag pin

salesladymk Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I just read that the Casa Monica in St Augustine, FL sent home a worker for wearing a US flag pin to work. It was reported by Channel 4 News, Jacksonville, FL.

I have never stayed there, but dined in their restaurant many times. Never again.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
St. Augustine, Florida, USA
  • Re: US flag pin
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

If that is accurate, I feel sorry for the Casa Monica..They would lose a lot of business including mine. But I would want to make sure that the facts are correct!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

They will get no business from me either!

Can you post the article here for the insiders?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Thanks SS..This is one place that I will never stay at..Unexcuseable!!!!

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I think it is embarrassing for the hotel to not allow an American Flag pin, but I do see their point. If the uniform dress standard forbids pins and badges, then this was meant to disallow all forms of speech. Can you imagine the trouble they would have if they allowed "pro-life" or NRA badges but not "Jesus Loves You?" On this one, I vote for the hotel.

I don't agree with you pingreeman. I think the hotel could modify their policy to fobid wearing pins and badges with the only exception being the
      American Flag Pin...Not hard to implement this change.

jasper - absolutely they could change the policy and my post might seem "unpatriotic." But if the flag is allowed, the hotel is probably going to face lawsuits from breast cancer foundation (cannot where pink ribbon), etc. Lookout - here comes the ACLU!

Well, I can guarantee you that I will never stay at this hotel. As a Veteran of the Vietnam war, this is unacceptable to me and I will ban ever staying at a hotel that practices this!!!!

Jasper - I cannot argue with your position. Well said and thanks for your service.

If they don't care about public opinion, the bad press they're getting, or the overwrought nature of petty rules then they made the right choice.  If on the other hand they want my business of those like me, they have really missed the obvious choice--which was to relent!

PS I do not question their patriotism, just their common sense and pride in a symbol of freedom that I and millions of others fought to protect.

SS, I am in 100 percent in agreement with you. If the ACLU wants to take legal action, let them. I believe the business lost by this establishment will far more offset any legal costs involved..Shame, Shame, Shame on this establishment!!!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I don't care what the business is....if it doesn't support those who want to display our nation's flag I would never patronize their establishment. Too many have given their lives to protect it and shame on any establishment that takes this kind of approach.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Is it disgraceful, yes.  Will I go there while in the JAX area for work, heck no even if it was free.  Is the policy right...I have to agree with Pingreeman.  I think having a zero tolerance policy allows them to effect a standard of uniform/dress that the owners want.  I think that the policy allows them to expressly prohibit stuff people find distasteful and probably cuts down on more complaints than it spawns.  In this case though, common sense and discretion should have played a MUCH larger role in the events.  Knowing which battles to pick is of HUGE importance when it comes to running a company and these guys have made two HUGE mistakes IMHO.  First was the supervisor, he should have known better than to go after the American flag, his decision was wrong before he even uttered a word.  The second mistake, now the hotel is standing behind him when they should have distanced themselves from the supervisor's choice.

Sadly there is no real positive outcome to this one and further shows that you must think through your decisions fully before you act, particularly in a position of authority.  In this day and age of social/connected living a story like this could cause a great deal of headache for the company.

I wonder if this supervisor had an ax to grind with the employee???

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

I'm not familiar but I will check and get back to you.

fired is what I heard via the Internet!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Here's what I can pass along from our Global Communications team:

We are aware of the recent matter at the Casa Monica Hotel and reaction it has caused. The hotel, which is independently owned and operated by The Kessler Enterprise, Inc., has a license agreement with Marriott International allowing the hotel access to Marriott's global reservations and customer systems.  Marriott International does not own, operate or manage the hotel, and as such none of the hotels employees are employed by Marriott and the policies developed and implemented in this situation are specific to that hotel owner and manager.

Good to hear. I would hope the Marriott would not do something so foolish to their employee and/or the American Flag!!!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

totally agree.  Same goes for the Olive garden restaurants since the one in Oxford, Alabama refused to let the local Kiwanis club post the US flag during its meeting there.

I bet you that Olive Garden Restaurant lost a lot of business..I'd be suprised if they will be able to stay in business!!!

bbrowning Platinum 10 Reviews

Yep, I have to agree that this is way out of bounds. I don't see the issue here if the hotel is located in the US (as it is). For other countries, I could see similar, country-specific pins being allowed.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...