7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2011 8:04 AM by pingreeman RSS

Delighting versus solving--one view

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

hbr.jpgIn a recent article titled: Why Your Customers Don't Want to Talk to You, Harvard Business Review blogger Matt Dixon states: "Most customers these days demonstrate a huge - and increasing - appetite for self-service, yet most companies run their operations as if customers prefer to interact with them live."

Hotels, he says, are no exception. In Stop Trying to Delight Your Customers, Dixon states that two critical findings have emerged that should affect every company's customer-service strategy:

• Delighting customers doesn't build loyalty;
  • Reducing their effort -- the work they must do to get their problem solved -- does.
  • Acting deliberately on this insight can help improve customer service, reduce customer service costs and decrease customer turnover (known as churn in the business).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Delighting versus solving--one view
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I am not sure I agree that Delighting customers doesn't build loyalty. Delight me by giving me suite upgrades when I stay at a Marriott and my loyalty will surge.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Jasper100

I'm with you on that!  However, I have seen a movement in attitude from doing business with a buddy, to doing business with someone who is efficient, and makes my life simpler.    The author of that story is definately on to something.

I still want my suite upgrades.......

engineergirl Platinum 1 Reviews

Sitting in a Marriott property right now--I'd be darn delighted if the internet worked consistently and faster than a snail's pace!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Here's some mbps coming your way!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Nothing worse than having a slow internet connection..Suprised you were able post something under those conditions.

engineergirl Platinum 1 Reviews

I'm pretty sure the moon was in alignment with Saturn at just the moment I pushed 'send'--because I sure as heck wasn't able to do any more work that night!

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I am in agreement with the first article which states, "We found that a staggering 57% of inbound calls come from customers who first attempted to resolve their issue on the company's website. And over 30% of callers are on the company's websiteat the same time that they are talking to a rep on the phone. That's a lot of frustrated customers." I LOVE self-service as it is quick, efficient, and I know that if anything is screwed up, it was because of me, not someone else. I am pleased to find information on a company's web site that can answer all my questions - and because it's in print, I am not relying on some customer service representative to verbalize the terms or conditions accurately. That's why I do ALL my travel reservations personally and on the internet. Look at all the comments here on the MRI that refer to "trying to find the information on . . . " within the Marriott site. As the article states, "That's a lot of frustrated customers."

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...