29 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2012 10:18 PM by lone6star RSS

No MR points for incidentals @ CY.

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just found out that you cannot earn points on incidentals (i.e.parking fees) at CY or anything other that a full-service Marriott or Ren.  Has anyone heard of this policy?  Is it new?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Los Angeles, California, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Los Angeles Century City/Beverly Hills
  • Re: No MR points for incidentals @ CY.
    designdeva Platinum 3 Reviews

You say you 'found out'.  May I ask where?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I see if you go to the Marriott Rewards page and the "How You Earn" page, it has all the brands listed in the graphics to the left side.  If you hover over any of the brand names (such as Marriott, Courtyard, Edition...) each tells you a little different about what points you get, and some of the sites say "Earn ... Points on Room Rate Only" (like Fairfield or Courtyard), but others (such as the Marriott, JW Marriott, and Ritz just say that you earn the 10 points, and don't say "On Room Rate Only".  Interesting also, is that the only higher brand that they show there, that points count only towards room rate, is the Edition.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I created a post a while back that talks about this very topic. See How Do Mr Points Get Credited?

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Yes, this is true.  I learned this earlier in the year after not seeing the points show up on my statement.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I guess we can call the program 'Marriott Selective Rewards' since there seems to be more and more picking and choosing that pares down the benefits we receive. This policy makes zero sense to me. If I buy something at their inflated price, why shouldn't there be a credit for it? It's not like they aren't making money. Especially Courtyards as there are some CY hotels that have rates higher then the marriott or Renaissance in some places/points in time.

Thanks for the info everyone.  Yet another reason to avoid CYs.  Although, the Century City/Beverly Hills one is pretty decent for a CY.

Location Brand Hotel
    Los Angeles, California, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Los Angeles Century City/Beverly Hills
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Yes..I am not a fan of Court Yards and this gives me another reason not to stay at one!!!

• No MR points for incidentals @ CY.

The CY in Dadeland, Miami is also really nice!  i charge my breakfast not to my room, but my PP card.  At least i come away with some MR points.

Also, I just found out that no MR points are given for incidentals (parking in my case) at Ritz-Carlton.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

It's a tricky situation. Sometimes parking is done by a separate vendor with no relationship, other than proximity, to the hotel. Meals in the CY should be credited, IMO.

atlantaguy Platinum

While it is true only room rates get credited, you can get points for package or special rates that include breakfast and other things.  I try to book this way and increase my points.

That's a good suggestion, but tough to do when your company forces you to go through a specific travel company.

willshire Platinum 1 Reviews

I just found this out too the hard way...I can't believe I've dined in so many times at the Courtyard Bistros (unimpressive food) thinking this was the smart thing to do in order to rack up points. I actually feel violated and punished which is unfortunate because I learned my lesson and will only dine in at full-service marriotts in the future.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

It's been well-known for a while that CYs neither provide breakfast during the week and no points for incidentals.  I can't think in what universe the latter makes sense.  Thus many Marriott elites will not book CYs at all or do so only for a single-night stay when they know they won't be eating at the property.  If there were points on incidental spends, Marriott would probably garner some additional revenue.  But CYs perform well as they are for Marriott so I doubt they're going to change either policy.

Cheers.

When I stay at Courtyards, I almost never eat there, for just that reason.  I feel if I'm spending my money there, I should get points for it.

I have known this for a long time.  The CY in Miami is like staying at a 5-star hotel, as I stay there often for business  Would be interested in knowing why this policy exists?

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I did not know this.  So no points for incidentals, and half points at Residence Inn and Town Place Suites, right?  Any other restrictions on earning points?

I think the last time I stayed at a CY, I booked the breakfast rate.  It was only $5 or $10 more, and the breakfast was very good, so it was a deal.  I'm pretty sure I got full points for the stay, because the breakfast was built into the room rate.

Yes, when anything is built into the Room rate, you get the full credit.  They are definitely losing potential revenue from MR members who are aware of these policies.  I get some relief in that I don't charge Breakfast to the room.  instead i use my MR card, and  thus obtain some points for the meal.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

pluto77, the way you booked it isthe way to ensure that you get the full 10 points/dollar for what you spent.  But if, for example, you had paid for the breakfast separately, there would have been no points earned for that.  I also am not sure what the rationale is for this, but fortunately I don't stay at a lot of CY so no effect here.

That is why when i book it separately, i always charge it ont he Marriott card itself and not to the room.  This wasy I get some points out of it!

good idea

That is a good idea, but I always pay for the room with the Marriott Card anyway, so I should still get the Marriott points for the breakfast either way.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi Tryt53,

Yes, you will get the points on your Chase Marriott Rewards card for all you have spent. The problem is (unlike, strangely, Fairfield Inns) you will only get 10x the dollars spent on your room, and nothing else. This is why many of us are avoiding or more seriously boycotting Courtyards. I found that out the hard way, assuming my 10x, and had a very expensive dinner that ended up not counting at all. So except for a few locations in Europe, I will NEVER stay at a Courtyard, their advertising notwithstanding.

ProfC

ProfC

ProfC,

I can understand why you feel that way.  I have just not eaten breakfast at them anymore, but have continued to stay there, because of the 3 I have stayed at this year (which were all 3 used with cashing in rewards nights), all 3 upgraded us to a suite, and the last one (a couple of weeks ago) in Federal Way, WA, gave us the nicest checkin and recognition of all the ones I've stayed at.  They even had a full sized gold box of See's Chocolates that they gave us at the front desk, in addition to our checkin gift.  As much as I do wish they had breakfast too, the ones I've stayed in the last year have been great in accommodations, service, and recognition.  I don't know if this is because they have all been in the greater Seattle area, or what, so I am interested in how others are finding them, in other locations. 

I have stayed for months at the Miami Dadeland Courtyard, and it's like staying at a 5-star hotel!

tyrt, you'll only earn 10 pts / dollar at CY for room rate only, not meals and any other incidentals.  The points you get from those expenses come from using a credit card that awards points separately from Marriott Rewards.  At least that's been my experience. 

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I too found this out the hard way when I was really starting to rack up some Marriott points.  I now no longer ever stay at Courtyards (except the one in Rome, where you get free breakfasts etc.) and if I have to in the future I will never, ever eat there or buy anything from them.  I fail to understand why the 'lowlier' Fairfield Inns (in my experience) give more benefits than Courtyards.
      profC

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...