11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2011 10:54 AM by anadyr RSS

Need Travel Tips - Marriott Marquis NYC

michael77 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I will be staying there for a long weekend and would appreciate any travel tips anyone would have...

Where is the best place to get Theater Tickets?

Restaurant Suggestions ?

Should I see Book of Mormon or Wicked ?

Any Suggestions Concerning the Marriott Marquis?

Thanks in Advance

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA
  • Re: Need Travel Tips - Marriott Marquis NYC
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Michael77,

You are in for a great time at a very nice location.  Food wise and not far:

Best Inexpensive lunch or dinner, Barrymore's just outside the back door.  Great place to discuss discuss with people about theatrical activities.  They actually gave me a ticket free to see a play once.  Good burger and pasta.

Best deli, across Times Square, toward The Courtyard is The Dukes.  I loved their inexpensive bagel sandwiches and cleanliness.  Sort of like a Panera Bread.

Best Steak:  Smith and Wollensky's, a hike, but they have always been very nice to me there.  Lot's of talk about sports, when I have been there as well.

Romantic dinner:  The River Cafe, under the Brooklyn Bridge.

These are just my opinions from several, memorable visits.  Lastly, the "Tugboat" tour around the island was very wonderful and interesting.  Well worth it!

Good luck and have fun!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Need Travel Tips - Marriott Marquis NYC
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

You will have fun.  You're in the middle of the theater district, and kitty corner from TKTS, the discount ticket broker.  Lines can be long but there are sometimes good seats to be had at about half price.

In addition go to the Wicked Box Office a half hour before they open to see if they have "rush tickets."  These are sold to the first in line if they have them at 26 dollars a seat or less cash only. They may be a limited view box or front row.  Wicked has had a lottery in the past--you need to be there about two hours in advance of a performance to get a paper to fill out. If your name is drawn you get one or two (your choice) tickets at about the same price as a rush ticket.  Book of Mormon is most likely full price only and may be sold out weekends.  Million Dollar Quartet and Memphis are also great shows in less demand than BOM.

But if you don't mind giving someone your email address you can sign up for discounts on many plays  at www.playbill.com then you can print them off on your computer.

Meals are as varied as you'd like, from simple to elegant. Junior's, adjacent to the Marquis, has fabulous cheesecake.  Frankie and Johnnie's down the street is our favorite steak joint.  Ask the 8th floor concierge for a recommendation.  Or check out TIme Out New York (mag or online).

Have fun and report back!

a-jimmygold Platinum 8 Reviews

great location close to fine dining quick dining and street food.   dont miss freedom tower downtown

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

You can not go wrong with either Wicked or Book of Mormon. You will be able to get tickets at a lower price for Wicked. Book of Mormon won the 2011 Tony for Best Muscial and tickets are hard to come by. My favorite musical of all time is Book of Mormon but Wicked would rank in the top 5 along with Jersey Boys, Rent and Phantom of the Opera. Keep in mind, the language in Book of Mormon is pretty rough!!! I got my tickets (great seats) at a reasonable premium on E-Bay. The closer you get to the performance date, the better price you may get on E-Bay since people who decide at the last minute not to go want to sell their tickets quickly at a reasonable price.

Good Luck...You will enjoy NYC!!!

Here is a post I made recently about the Book of Mormon

http://www.marriottrewardsinsiders.marriott.com/message/28545#28545

samshu9078 Gold 60 Reviews

Make sure you go to the top of the Marquis just before sunset. Great view of Manhattan. The lounge turns 360 degrees. Takes about an hour for a full rotation. Expensive drinks but enjoyable.

Yes and if you are staying at the Marriott Marquis you do not have to pay the cover charge that everyone else has to pay!!!

stevew Platinum

For a great steak, try Keen's on 36th St. Not far from Marquis. A local restaurant opened in 1885. While there are plenty of great chain steak houses in the area, this is a piece on NYC history.

As many have stated, either Mormon or Wicked are great shows. While I like to get great deals, if you do not frequent NYC and you want good seats, I would buy tickets in advance. The discount ideas listed above do work and I have used them, but you may not get the show or seats you want.

On the 8th floor (lobby) of the Marquis there's a Broadway Ticket booth, next to the gift shop and to Starbucks.  All the staff are very helpful, and can give you honest reviews of plays, which they've been to (which is all playing).  They have good seats for sale but they are premium (expensive) but as mentioned above, if you really want to see a play and you are not a frequent visitor, this is the place to buy!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...