6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2011 11:22 AM by NathalieF RSS

Newspaper availability

wanttogo Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I recently stayed at a Courtyard property in Spanish Fort, Alabama, and for some reason they didn't have any newspapers!  According to their hotel directory (that binder that they place in your room that talks about the dining options and pool hours and the other hotel amenities), they had daily newspaper delivery to the rooms.  However, they didn't do this.  When I asked about it, the desk clerk said that they had many guests who just ignored the paper, so they stopped doing it in the interest of saving paper (yeah, more like saving money, if you ask me).  On top of this, each morning I was there (3 mornings), there were no newspapers available in the lobby, either!  And I was in the lobby by 9:30am each morning!  Is this scrimping on newspaper costs common with Courtyards, or was it just this location?  I was recently in a Residence Inn, and there were plenty of newspapers available late into the afternoons.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Spanish Fort, Alabama, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Mobile Daphne/Eastern Shore
  • Re: Newspaper availability
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I think it has become more of a 'common' occurrence at quite a few of the Marriott properties. My profile has the newspaper I desire and some days it shows up and other days it doesn't. Has happened this way at Marriotts, Rennaissance, Residence Inns and timeshare locations.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

If I'm not mistaken, about a year ago, Marriott announced, in association with their "green initiative," that USA Today newspapers would no longer be dropped outside the door at their "lower tier" properties. tef6178 lists some of them, but CYs are included in this list, too.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

wanttogo,

Did you enjoy your stay at this Courtyard?  We're thinking about staying there for 1 night as we travel through the area.  They have great rates.  Thanks.

wanttogo Silver

Razorbackfan,

Yes, this is a nice property, and you're correct--they have pretty good rates.  It seemed fairly new.  A problem with a noisy toilet was fixed very quickly.  The in room fridges are pretty small.  Mattresses were very comfortable.  Quiet on the 3rd floor.  The location is not exactly right off the freeway--you have to go down the road a little bit. 

I would recommend it, especially given the rates.  Just don't expect a newspaper!!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Hi wanttogo, Newspapers should have been available in the lobby but I'll follow up on this. I'm not offering excuses, but it's possible they could have all been taken by 9:30 or that they could have even been delivered late. I believe the paper is delivered later in some markets, although 9:30 seems reasonable, so again I'll follow up.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Hello again wanttogo, I've confirmed that newspapers are available and I believe they're currently delivered by 4am during weekdays and non-holidays. Safe travels!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...