11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2011 8:47 PM by jerrycoin RSS

The world’s largest McDonald’s will open for the London Olympics

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate
Currently Being Moderated

McDonald’s will be opening a 3,000 square-metre restaurant in east London, close to the 2012 Olympic park. The fast food restaurant spans two floors with 1,500 seats! They say this “super-sized” restaurant will serve 50,000 Big Macs, 100,000 portions of fries and 30,000 milkshakes throughout the Games, wow! And McDonald’s will source ingredients for all those meals from 17,500 British and Irish farms. As a longtime Olympic sponsor, McDonald’s will mark its ninth consecutive year as the only retailer feeding the athletes. We'd love to see some pictures if you happen to see it!

Has anyone visited another iconic McDonald's restaurant like the rock-n-roll McDonald's in Chicago?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: The world’s largest McDonald’s will open for the London Olympics
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Gotta give McDonald's credit for being a good neighbor and sourcer for locations and products. I believe they also use only ingredients from US farmers and suppliers for their US locations.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

wanttogo Silver

I find it ironic that McDonald's, of all places, feeds the athletes.  When I think of Olympic Athletes, I think of healthy individuals.  When I think of McDonalds, I think of high fat content, high sodium, low nutrition food. 

I think a lot of other folks share the same thought. When McD's saw they were losing to the health conscious crowd they put in their salads, et al to capture some of that business. It worked remarkably well according to them (and their stock price). They wanted to buy my restaurant property (just off Rte 495 in MA) and keep trying to convince the townfolks that they aren't fast food anymore.... so they'll let them in. Of course, as happens in many towns with McD's the NIMBY syndrome takes over.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

3000 square meters not feet.  That still does really does not sound like enough room for all of the customer demands.

I wonder if they do a different menu for the Olympic athletes? Of course, I still think their fries are the best!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

In those pre-Ray Kroc days McDonald's was a great, lcean, safe place to go.  Sadly it has lost its way, as have others and now it's more of a place to avoid for me, and seems intent on profit over food.  (my opinion). The stores seem dark, dirty and well, uninviting,

I stayed at their corporate Hyatt hotel in Oak Park (home of Hamburger  U) Illinois for a wedding several years back, very nice hotel and a beautiful campus.

I have been to the original of several chains: including McDonald's number one, INOB (see below) in Baldwin Park, and Steak and Shake in the Mid-west.

I do not work for INOB  (In'N'Out Burger or own stock in them since they are privately held) but anyone who has eaten there would agree that this is what fast food was and should be.  Readers of Mr. Marriott's blog will recall how they teamed up with Marriott earlier this year.

Loved their fries too, but the older version (cooked in lard) was my favorite guilty pleasure.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

Since I am from the Mid-west, Steak'n Shake is a favorite.  You were in Bloomington/Normal where Gus Belt founded the company.  Do you remember when McDonald's was 19 cents for a hamburger?  You could fill yourself easily on $1.00 (Which I rarely had!).  What memories!  Since you and I stayed at the Marriott Key Bridge, (no lobby to check in, they used the golf cart!), Do you have any idea of what a night cost there?  I sure do not remember, but think it was around $29/night.  I think I was there in 1980?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Yep our daughter was playing in the NCAA women's golf nationals near there so we had to make the pilgrimage.

You might be thinking of twin bridges Marriott where they used the golf cart.  My one overnight there was during a snowstorm and I walked from the Pentagon where I worked to the hotel in deep snow.  Cost me about 26 dollars military rate as I recall.  We put many of our wedding party up at Twin Bridges in 1970 and I was shocked that the rate was 35 a night!!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...