10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2011 10:51 PM by jmaack RSS

Bad First Experience with Silver Elite Reservation Line

ted Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I'm new to Marriott Rewards, and just tried using the Silver Elite reservation line for the first time this evening.  I got cut off (hung up on?) twice in 3 calls.  The first hang up seemed like an accident, but I'm wondering if the second time around it was intentional.  I was calling with a request to change the credit card used to hold one of my reservations, as I'm cancelling that card, and I wanted to make sure that a valid card was on file for the reservation in case it was needed (perhaps to 'cover' a late arrival).  The agent told me that it couldn't be done.  When I explained why it was necessary to make the change, she said she would check.... and then I got cut off.  Is this the quality of service I should expect from Marriott?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts New York Marriott East Side
  • Re: Bad First Experience with Silver Elite Reservation Line
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

As far as the phone line is concerned, I hope it was only coincidental that you were cut off while your request was being processed. I have always been treated very well on phone dealings. I may not, at certain times, enjoy or be happy with the response/answer, but they have always been very cordial.

As far as the reservation guarantee is concerned, they would not know the card has/had been cancelled and you could have just presented a new card for payment on check in.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Sorry you had a bad experience.  Before you give up, I'll note that I (very) rarely call Marriott on the phone, but, when I do, I've had remarkably good experiences.

I'm most inclined to call the reservations line (OK, the Platinum line, although I'm not convinced that it's not the same people staffing all of the elite lines) when I'm booking reward travel for my family.  I'm guessing I'm their "worst nightmare" call.  I typically have two or three different weeks in mind, two or three non-domestic locations in play, and up to a dozen properties I'm considering.  Basically, I'm trying to get a sense of how to maximize my point usage, access popular properties, whether I can get a multi-room unit or a large suite or whether I need two rooms (with a preferred bed configuration), whether they can guarantee the rooms are adjoining, access to lounges (or at least breakfast), and so on.  Having employed this strategy to use MR points to take family members to extraordinary properties in, among others, Barcelona, Berlin, Hong Kong, London, and Paris, I have to say, I'm a fan of the Elite Reservation Lines.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

SSINDC - Your reply - I could have written it as I rarely call and when I do, it's for the same reasons as you.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Not to belabor this point, but I had reason to all the Platinum Elite Reservation Line today.  (And, again, I'm not convinced that  that it's not the same people staffing all of the elite lines....)  The person who answered was polite, helpful, and informative. She helped me do exactly what I couldn't do the web page.

As an aside, she asked if I'd been at the property I was booking (the NYC Marriott East Side), and I said I had.  She said she'd heard good things about it, and I agreed.  We discussed a number of specific aspects of the property and then had a brief discussion about the other NYC Marriotts, and she suggested two that I had not yet previously tried.  The conversation then drifted - and, frankly - I don't recall how - into the Autograph and AC hotels, and she had a fair amount of information about others' experiences at a number of properties.  I mention this only because - particularly since I do most of my booking on the web - it's clear that she believed that part of the service she offered was sharing customer experience at various properties across a broad spectrum of locations.  A nice resource to consider!

Location Brand Hotel
      New York, New York, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts New York Marriott East Side
    mrinsider Silver 42 Reviews

Hi, I agree with others here too, but I'm kinda new to Marriott and I recently called Marriott to cancel my stay that I booked online using my free night visa certificate. The call was so quick and nice that I couldn't believe if all was done properly. I then used the certificate to book another hotel on the same day.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Ted, I did use the Silver Elite Reservation line a lot for several years, and as mentioned by tef6178, although I may not have always gotten the answer I wanted, the service and response was always excellent.  Let's hope yours was just a one-time accident.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Same here, my experiences on the elite reservation line has usually been very good!!!!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

same here.  I have always found the elite line to be pleasant and most helpful.  I've never had them actually accomplish an upgrade for me, but pleasant nonetheless.  seems the upgrades must come from the property itself.  Elite desk can only request an upgrade.  I believe that is true, but not sure.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Always professional and polite.

jmaack Gold 3 Reviews

I've always had really pleasant experiences when I've called.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...