3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2011 3:10 PM by ssindc RSS

Christmas Market: Dusseldorf or Bochum

kcaluwae Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I have 2 cat4 certificates I want to spent on a Christmas Market trip.  I narrowed the selection down to Dusseldorf or Bochum.

I was in Dusseldorf before and know the Christmas Market is worth a visit, didn't see anything else of the city at that time.

I've never been to Bochum before.  Can anyone advise me on this city?

I welcome any suggestions.

Tx!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Dusseldorf, Germany
Bochum, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Germany
Dusseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
  • Re: Christmas Market: Dusseldorf or Bochum
    ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I'm no expert on Christmas markets, but Dusseldorf is a nice city, and the old town is a lot of fun. I stayed at the Dusseldorf Hafen Courtyard last year for a couple of nights.

• Fresh fruit and coffee every morning in the (very small) lobby.
    • Smallish rooftop gym with a nice view.
    • I found it walkable to everything I wanted to get to, but I don't mind walking distances. 
    • The Hafen (harbor/harbour) area has become the hip, trendy, fashion district
    • There are some truly unique architectural oddities there - I'm not alone here; my architect friends rave about it - the wavy, stainless steel office building, the swamp creatures ascending from the water up onto the building adjacent to the Courtyard hotel, the see-thru building on the bridge (which hosts an excellent restaurant) are just a few.
    • The tower - just at the end of the Hafen/harbor - has nice views, but the restaurant is over priced.  There's a bar there, but if you sit at "central" bar, you can see out, but they won't let you stand next to the windows - the windows are available only for the diners....
    • I hosted a small dinner in the Courtyard's restaurant (Julian's - "international fare") - we had a nice table by the windows, overlooking the water, our service was excellent, and the food was good enough that everyone left happy.

I haven't been to Bochum, but my understanding  - and I don't know if it's still there -  was that they were running Andrew Lloyd Weber's Starlight Express (the musical about trains, performed on roller skates) - I saw it a number of times in London, years ago.  It's a really fun show!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    Dusseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
      kcaluwae Silver

Thanks for your really elaborate answer.

They're indeed running Starlight express.  As you say it's a show with adrenaline and humour.  Liked it as well!

I think I will book the CY Hafen.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Glad you enjoyed the show...  My boys DREAD it when I sing There's A Light At The End of the Tunnel....

The inside might be as black as the night,

But at the end of the tunnel there's a ... light.

Granted, I might sing it a little loud, and a little off key, but, still...