12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2015 1:50 PM by jlowery35242 RSS

How about giving same elite Status for Spouse?

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Here is a novel idea that I have brought up on a number of occasions to deaf ears as usual. How about giving same elite status for Spouse? Does not seem it would that costly to the Marriott and in most cases the spouse and partner travel together anyway. This could create additional business for the Marriott as more cusomers would like this benefit and choose Marriott over the competitor. United has implemented this and it appears to have been very successful for them.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How about giving same elite Status for Spouse?
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

In the case where spouses travel together, I have no problem with your idea.  But when they work or travel separately, as many couples do today, it gives an unfair advantage, especially compared to unmarried Elite members who have earned it through nights stayed.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

It is also unfair to give rollover days to elites also to allow them to achieve higher status without really earning them..I guess I don not see the difference here!!!

I don't think it is any way unfair to provide rollover nights for elite members and don't see the comparison. ALL members who reach a certain level get rollover nights by staying a certain amount of nights per year above the level to reclaim the same status.  A spouse has not though if they are traveling with their partner they get the perks anyway. 

On a totally different note, as a non-married solo traveler, I cannot take advantage of any of the 2-for-1 perks frequently offered as specials to Marriott members.  I have long advocated a similar program (maybe the equivalent of room and board as the Rome Central Park sometimes does, but it is one of the few) from which single or solo travelers could benefit.

I guess we will agree to disagree. To make Platinum, you need to reach 75 nights per year. With Rollover nights, you no longer need to get 75 nights the next year, you need less. So it is a way to make Platinum even though you do not stay the 75 nights that year. So I guess I don't see how that is fair to those that stay 75 nights every year to reach that Platinum Goal.

Of the people who make 75 nights a yea, many stay significantly more nights than that.  It was an innovation that SteppingStones helped inaugurate a couple of years ago.  Even if you need less in a given year you will need more the following year so it all equals out.  I doubt there are very many people who reach Platinum and don't stay 75 or more nights a year.  The point is it is also good both as a business model and for frequent stayers.  A Gold Elite who stays 60 will get 10 nights toward the following year. If he or she stays exactly 40 then the year after the extra ten nights they will remain Gold with no extra nights and will have to stay 50 again. The same is true for all levels.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

The rollover is not fair when you consider a Platinum member cannot roll the first 100 nights, 25 more than the status tier. Whereas the other levels roll all nights over their status tier. Example: a gold member who stays 74 nights rolls 24 (74-50); a Platinum who stays 99 get zero (99-100) = -1. Good news is they don't give us a negative rollover night.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Sadly this seems too costly for them to do.  And bottom lines are always considered in any decision.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Jasper

I have to agree with ProfChiara on this one.  If a spouse is traveling with their Platinum partner, that spose is already treated as Platinum.  Why designate them as such?  If you include the spouse, why not the children?  As we discuss the dilluding of the program, I see this idea as dilluding it even more, especially when the 'spouse' would be traveling alone and enjoying the benefits he/she did not earn.  Many partnerships have dual-traveling couples and it's my opinion each should earn the status.  Furthermore, in my experience, whether my wife travels with me or not, by using my name on the reservation she is given the status treatment that I earned.

That may be the point..Why do we have to play games with our spouse and use tricks like using our name on the reservation and then they recieve the Platinum Treatment? Why not just recognize this and go ahead and give the spouse that status? And I am not suggesting giving it to the children and don't feel that is appropriate. It is the spouse who lives at the same residene as his/her partner. I guess my feeling is that you spend so much time away from home as business traveler that the one or two times a year the spouse might use this benefit would not be that costly to the Marriott. As far as the two working husband/wife teams that travel extensively (which is not my case), then they would both likely earn the elite status independently anyway, in my humble opinion.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Jasper

I hear your argument and understand your thought process.  That said, there would need to be many interpretations to the policy to cover this.  For example:  Is it a joint acct where nights are accumulated as one account?  what would the new standard be for a couple filing jointly?  If they get 2 rooms, are both available for upgrade?  who's room would be if only one?  what about the case of divorce?  I think it might be best if we just continue the DADT policy when booking a room for our spouse and avoid any issues.

Thanks for all the comments. All I can say is Continental made this change to million milers offering spouse/significant other the same elite status. And under the Continental/United Merger they are following Continental's lead. And starting in 2012, all million milers and the spouse/significant other are being offered automatic Gold Status on United. Seems to be working well for United and one would argue that it would  work well for a hotel chain also. These same arguments were being made for the United elite matching proposition, i.e., not fair to those that don't have a spouse or significant other. Maybe the elite match should only be made to Life Time elite status members? Again it seemed to have been successful for United why not for the Marriott?

jlowery35242 Platinum 1 Reviews

As Lifetime PE my wife shares no benefits and will not receive use of unused points if/when I pass! This is not fair since she shared the hardship of the many nights I was paying for Marriott room! COME ON MARRIOTT!! Allow Lifetime PE to have their spouse added to the Marriott Account!

On the other hand. . . I am also HILTON GOLD (even higher for many years) and they have a "joint account" and my wife is listed on my account and has all the benefits and will have use of all un used points!  COME ON MARRIOTT> > > YOU ARE (or supposed) TO BE BETTER THAN THIS! PUT THE WIFES ON THE LPE ACCOUNT!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...