36 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2012 4:14 PM by randomname RSS

What happened to the stay for one weekend night and get next night free!!!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Another example of Marriott cutting back on benefits to elite members. What happened to the stay for one weekend night and get the next night free and the two for one dinner coupons? At one time, Marriott would send these coupons to elite members and then just started posting them on line. Then all of a sudden they disappeared. Maybe its because their are so may Platinum/Gold Members, they had to discontinue this elite benefit.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What happened to the stay for one weekend night and get next night free!!!
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Haven't seen these in a while either. There is a Stay 2 nights, get the third night free in Chicago deal.....maybe it's a test run for the replacement program??

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What happened to the stay for one weekend night and get next night free!!!
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Gone like the shoe shine machines!  And not likely  to come back

rainbowwill Platinum 2 Reviews

These promotions seemed to occur about three times a year for 10-12 weeks each.  They would expire and later another would commence.

mickey13mickey Platinum

I was told by the "platinum elite telephone line" that the "free night" and "free entree" coupons would not be coming out until March 2012. Upon hearing this news I cancelled all my weekend reservations for the rest of the year.  I am "heartbroken".  And I'm making reservations for my husband's next vacation at another hotel chain.  I have been devotedly using Marriott hotels exclusively for at last 6 years. So,this is significant and very very very very sad.  I am hoping they will change their minds when they see how we have stopped using their hotels.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I was wondering about this benefit myself. I don't have anything to contribute but will be watching this thread to see what others have to add on the subject.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Hello mickey13mickey, We're in the process of reconfiguring the program mechanics so we should have new information regarding the Elite perk, BOGO Free Night and Dining Offer available in early 2012. It sounds like you were looking forward to using this Elite Exclusive Offer so we really appreciate your understanding and patience. In the meantime, feel free to check out our many other member exclusive offers and weekend deals.

alanrl Platinum

I had heard they care cutting back on promos

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

I too have noticed the loss of such offers. While I often found that the properties I was staying at were, for some reason, non-participating properties, when they were, it was nice to be recognized as a platinum member, and given a small reward. Frankly, I'm surprised that Marriott doesn't recognize how it really helps bring business into the Marriott restaurant. When I travel, I always learn of highly recommended local restaurants. With the coupon, I often stayed on-site and had local friends join me at the Marriott. Now, I take their suggestion and meet them at a local restaurant with high recommendations. Marriott hotel restaurants have lost many a dinner because of this.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Hopefully the economy will improve and travel for you will be increased again..Lets keep our fingers crossed!!!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

In the olden days (8 or so years ago), manual systems were employed to send BOGO coupons to you via direct mail, which you used at the front desk during check-in after calling a reservation agent to book your reservation. Then about five years ago, we moved the delivery method online via marriott.com, however no other element of the process was automated. 

This has caused a lot of issues:  for members – your ability to use BOGOs is clunky, manual and availability is haphazard; for hotels – there is a large incidence of fraudulent activity and an inconsistent on-property experience; and for the program – there is no ability to track the value or the who/what/when/where of the promotion.  Hardly the experience we had in mind.

Many of you have voiced your opinion – enough to validate the popularity of the BOGO offer, so thanks for your support in that area! 

We’ve tried various fixes to the BOGO process while keeping the offer in-market, to no avail.  Now we’re enduring your disappointment - and our embarrassment - by suspending the promotion.  We’re hopeful that a proper solution can be identified.   We wish there had been a better way.

I oversee the team responsible for BOGO.  If you are interested in continuing the dialogue directly with me, a special group has been set up on Insiders specifically for this topic.  For the next thirty days this area will be set aside for the conversation.

-MichelleL

goestoeleven Gold

Not only are the coupons gone, but increasingly, the Restaurants themselves are disappearing.  The "higher end" restaurant in the Marriott - Quincy, MASS is a recent example, but I've noticed numerous others over this past year.  I'm guessing that they were not meeting their revenue targets.  Anyone else experiencing this trend?

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I think the solution for all of us that have used this hard earned perk is for Marriott to either continue to issue the offer online but with a serial number so that the "coupons" can't be used more than once. The other solution is to just go back to the printed offer, which suits me fine.

bigguyinpasadena Gold

Dear Michelle, The paper cert's were never "clunky"for most of us-it was the lack of training FDR's received in handling the BOGO EEO's that was the problem. Something that should have been handled by Marriott in the training materials. Even better would have been a MARSHA code printed on the certificate that the FDR could have keyed in for instructions on processing the EEO cert's.

The handling of the elimination of the fourth quarter BOGO was very,very poor=probably the worst I have ever seen. To pull a benefit form a loyalty program in the middle of the year with no advance warning is inexcusable IMO.

This was handled so badly-and infuriated me so much that I have decided to end my membership with Marriott Rewards. I have been a MR rewards member for 8 years and when I joined I earnestly believed that it was the best frequent guest recognition program out there.Sadly that seems like ancient history now and Marriott Rewards has been decimated to the point that I feel it is one of the worst programs running.

When you add to that the inconsiderate handling of this latest development and you must see why many of us are very upset with Marriott Rewards.

"Many of you have voiced your opinion – enough to validate the popularity of the BOGO offer, so thanks for your support in that area! " Might be one way to look at this-but I think many of us would put it in quite a different fashion.

Thank you for taking the time to address Marriott Rewards members here on FlyerTalk. I will be monitoring the conversation here Latest on EEO Free Weekend/BOGO certificates .I do not think a special forum on a little viewed site is better than discussing this on Flyertalk.com where I am sure more of Marriotts customers will see it. I hope you will continue the discussion with us.  

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

With 20+ years a MR member, last 8 as PP, after ~200 paid nights a year, the LAST thing I want to do is use a BOGO for a weekend. Heck, I've got yard work to do, a "honey-do" list every weekend, plus I simply want to sleep in my own bed and have a home-cooked meal for a change of pace (I often cook just to have a "stress-free/no-brainer" experience outside the work routine). HOWEVER, if MR can start offering GUARANTEED SUITE UPGRADE CERTS - 1 a year would be FINE, then I can do my family vacation on points and have a nice room to boot.

mickey13mickey Platinum

I am a Platinum Premier Member with 103 Elite nights accumulated this year.  Now that the weekend  "free night" and "free entree" coupons have been discontinued I have cancelled all my Marriott reservations for the rest of the year.  I am "heartbroken".  And I'm making reservations for my husband's next vacation at another hotel chain.  I have been devotedly using Marriott hotels exclusively for at least 6 years. So, this is significant and very very very very sad.  I am hoping they will change their minds when they see that we have stopped using their hotels.  Also, I miss getting free breakfasts on the weekends. In the past I have been telling everyone I meet to join the Marriott rewards system, but I have now ceased doing this.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

They had a great program in 2010 with Renaissance.  We spent several weekends that we would not have otherwise.  Got companion flight coupon and certificate for discount at a future Ren stay.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...