Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 12, 2011 12:04 PM by shoeman1000 RSS

Ambassador/Steward

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Since we seem to have embarked on a campaign to re-vitalize the Insiders page, one of the changes has been to name some 'Stewards' to replace the 'Ambassadors'. I have always looked upon the Ambassadors as a classy distinctive where certain members were chosen to promote the merits of goodwill and fellowship on this site. Since I'm not part of a union (shop steward) and don't intend to ever be, I wondered where the thought process came from to change to the 'Steward' monicker. I decided to look up the definition of each.

1stew·ard

noun \ˈstü-ərd, ˈstyü-; ˈst(y)rd\

Definition of STEWARD

: one employed in a large household or estate to manage domestic concerns (as the supervision of servants, collection of rents, and keeping of accounts)

: shop steward

: a fiscal agent

a : an employee on a ship, airplane, bus, or train who manages the provisioning of food and attends passengers b : one appointed to supervise the provision and distribution of food and drink in an institution

: one who actively directs affairs : manager

Related to STEWARD

Synonyms: daily [British], domestic, flunky (also flunkey or flunkie), lackey, menial, retainer, slavey, servant

Antonyms: master, mistress

am·bas·sa·dor

noun
\am-ˈba-sə-dər, əm-, im-, -ˌdr, -ˈbas-dər\

Definition of AMBASSADOR

: an official envoy; especially : a diplomatic agent of the highest rank accredited to a foreign government or sovereign as the resident representative of his or her own government or sovereign or appointed for a special and often temporary diplomatic assignment

a : an authorized representative or messenger b : an unofficial representative

Related to AMBASSADOR

Which one do you prefer??????

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Ambassador/Steward
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Maybe that is the way Marriott is telling us what they really think of insiders..LOL.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

As SSINDC has said regarding the 'novice, rookie, apprentice' nameplates applied to members, I find this distinction to also fall into that category. I have no idea why a change would be made from Ambassador to Steward. The point of the change is.....????

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thanks for asking, we also think very highly of the Ambassador distinction and our Ambassadors alike. The program was renamed to reflect the relationships formed between Insiders while helping to manage some aspects the community. Stewards help the Insiders community by frequently interacting and assisting members wherever possible, while also communicating with Marriott on community interactions. And to diversify the perspectives, interests, and voices within the community, we'll have five community leaders participating as Stewards. For some additional details, here is the Stewards program introduction.

I'm sorry, but this is really a Kool-Aid response. I'm not drinking.

If the program was being 'renamed' to reflect the relationships (?) that have been formed by Insiders, you would have contacted those 'Insiders' to get a flavor of how this program should evolve and to be the 'Stewards'. They are best qualified to talk and discuss the issues that arise on this site. I don't think 'managers' are needed to 'relate' the experiences of the Insiders who share their stories. Those experiences are what they are. Those who post frequently on this site are mostly seasoned travelers who have a definitive thought process based on their experiences. Those experiences (spelled: stays at Marriott properties) are reality. You can't spin that with a 'manager'.

To 'diversify perspectives'  through a 'steward' is to re-frame reality. How do community leaders do that? Diversity in a perspective is a post that is different from another....good vs. bad. We have plenty of those posts here where some have a bad experience and some have a good one. The current 'Cosmopolitan' post is a direct example of such. If someone has a good experience at a property and they report it, that's their perspective. If someone has a bad experience at a property, that's their perspective.

The interests of those who visit this site are simple: they want to learn more about Marriott properties and the conditions that exist at a particular location...good or bad.....and they want to know how Marriott is acknowledging the loyalty that we give to them (spelled: Rewards program changes). Those related experiences at properties in the postings are truly how we frame our future visits when in a particular locale. The returned loyalty we look for from Marriott gives us (and is related in posts) a reflection of whether we feel, or don't feel, respected for what we bring to this company as customers. A voice (steward) to promote Marriott (beyond a bad post) is certainly something that we all would welcome....as long as their discussion results in something that is a positive for the customer. Will 'Stewards' have that influence to change the 'bad' stories into good ones for all? I doubt it.

I, as well as many others, have tried to give a helping hand to many who have posted queries on this site where they were 'stuck' over an issue. We all like to be helpful in that way. We're all ambassadors. That's a 'spirit to serve' that we bring because we all have a vested interest in Marriott being as successful as they can be. If we didn't, we wouldn't stay the way we do....or contribute compliments/complaints on this forum. We're not going to change....but we do want to see change when we feel slighted for our loyalty. Even Pingreeman, whose recent posting is being followed by many Insiders, wants to see Marriott be the best of the best....even though he's now staying at a competitor. He's really trying to tell Marriott (through his posts) that he wants to be here....but are they listening? Can a 'Steward' help in his situation? I doubt it.

That's my rant. Thanks for listening.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I particularly enjoyed the Diplomatic Immunity that came with being an Ambassador

Nonetheless, Marriott was very innovative in 2009  to invite a member of the traveling public to be a liaison and brand ambassador in 2009 when two of us were chosen.  It was a leap of faith on their part, an attempt to maintain a dialog with millions of Marriott Reward members through the eyes and ears of two persons.

Both of us had a grand time, seeing first hand the interplay of customer and service provider.  We felt we were making a difference and the two individuals who followed us were and are great exemplars.

We were not slavishly pro-Marriott, in spite of an occasional post alluding to our lack of independence.  We joined the fray at times, being on the other side of an argument.

I for one am sad to see Ambassadors go away,  While the idea of Stewards makes sense in terms of specific duties within the site, the increase in number will necessarily mean a decrease in voices on the part of each Steward.

Let's give the program a chance to succeed or not.

I agree that your postings were not pro-Marriott. They were, as I have found them to be, reality based. That's the way it should be. The response I got and my return was not intended to be a slight on the potential of the program, just that we are what we are, and that is fact based reporters in our posts....except when we get into meaningless banter....but, that is just fun time. No harm, no foul stuff.

The program will succeed if all follow that rule....tell the facts, don't fluff it....and be realists. There aren't many folks on this site that can be fooled with fluff.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

No harm, no foul and no offense taken.  I was happy that you posted that clarification about the use of the term Steward, which will forever remind me of those wonderfully elegant and efficient ladies and gentlemen of Pan Am in its glory flying days"  "May I pour you another Dom Perignon, sir?  Is you Chateaubriand done to your liking sir?'

Wow, are those days gone.....

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Could the term "steward" be the default "display" term for jive-sponsored facebook-like sites and to have the term "ambassador" would have been a programming modification of code? Perhaps too much design effort? (Sarcastic, I know.)

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Do these replys suggest that we boycott being a steward until we are appropriately recognized????

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

????, boycott what???  were you offered a stewardship???

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...