27 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2014 10:52 AM by ssindc RSS

NYC - Market Pricing

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Curious to hear other's experiences, but I continue to find that the NYC properties have some of the most flexible, market-based pricing anywhere.  If there's a silver lining in all of this, it's that it appears that - at least in pockets - the travel industry is rebounding....

We tend to go up to NYC (on the train) periodically, and we tend to choose weekends where, for under $200, we can pick among multiple properties within walking distance from Time Square. 

Our favorites - all of which we've stayed in for under $200/night - include:

• Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square
  • Renaissance New York Hotel 57
  • New York Marriott Marquis, and the
  • New York Marriott East Side

We have not enjoyed the Courtyard New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue quite as much, and we've never snagged a really good price at the Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel, so we've never stayed there.

Anyway, so the weekend that my son wants to go to NYC, the rates (pre-taxes) at these hotels are:

• Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square - $469 (so it'll really be $540+)
  • Renaissance New York Hotel 57 - $389
  • New York Marriott Marquis - $449
  • New York Marriott East Side - $439
  • Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel - $789 (whoa!!!)

So, I proposed a different weekend - only one week difference, and the rates (pre-taxes) at these hotels are very different - some higher, some lower:

• Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square - FULL
  • Renaissance New York Hotel 57 - $459
  • New York Marriott Marquis - $499
  • New York Marriott East Side - $399
  • Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel- $749 (lower, but still... whoa!!!)

So, I checked one other weekend - only one week difference in the other direction, and the rates (pre-taxes) at these hotels are, again, very different:

• Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square - $539 (ouch!)
  • Renaissance New York Hotel 57 - $509
  • New York Marriott Marquis - $599 (yikes!)
  • New York Marriott East Side - $539
  • Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel- $979 (uh, I don't think so!!!)

Now that I've got started... just for fun - if we wanted to spend New Year's Eve in NYC,

• Renaissance New York Hotel 57 - FULL
  • New York Marriott Marquis - $549
  • New York Marriott East Side - FULL
  • Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel- FULL; and, just for fun
  • Ritz-Carlton, Central Park - $1,749 (before taxes!!!!)

Alas, my son isn't going to get to see that play for a few months - he'll survive.... Who knows, we may have to go Xmas eve.  Would you believe that - in comparison - if you want to spend Xmas Eve in NYC, the rates (pre-taxes) at these hotels are

• Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square - $259 (note - MORE than the Marquis)
  • Renaissance New York Hotel 57 - $233
  • New York Marriott Marquis - $224 (now we're talking!!!)
  • New York Marriott East Side - $279
  • Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel- $589 (nope!!!)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square
New York, New York, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts New York Marriott East Side
New York, New York, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts New York Marriott Marquis
New York, New York, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance New York Hotel 57
New York, New York, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel
  • Re: NYC - Market Pricing
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

ssindc:

Do I ever hear you! We also love to visit NYC (we always stay at the Marriott Eastside), but we never go unless there is a deal rate. I do find that if I check the regular 'deals at this hotel' section of the hotels home page I can try and figure out when the deals for better pricing are going to happen. Here is what I do: I click on what I consider to be a good deal (one where I think the pricing is driven to 'fill some rooms') and see if the deal I'm checking is available for the time period I want. It isn't in about 99.9999% of the times I choose. But, I can click for 'dates that are available' to see what timeframes I can get that deal. For the time that the deal I checked is available, I check back frequently for a general or 'rewards' room rate for that time period and usually a low stay rate comes up at some point, but not for long. I have to grab it quick, but I have never stayed in the Eastside with a rate higher than $259.

Anyway, it's worked for me!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Great advice.  Glad you hear you like the NY Marriott East Side.  We like it too, but it's rarely been the best deal for us. 

My older son fell in love with a wonderful suite we were upgraded to there last year, and he named it The James Bond Suite. I earned some extremely valuable (but oh so hard to come by) "cool dad points" for that one.  THANK YOU MARRIOTT REWARDS!

ajapuff Platinum 4 Reviews

Wow - I hear you on this.  My daughter and I love Hotel 57.  Usually use my points as it is a treat for us to go to NYC.  Just got a stay there in November for 179$ a night.  I was THRILLED!  I hear there is construction happening at the hotel, but since we are out and about early, it shouldn't affect us.

Love that hotel - my goal is to get one of the suites with the deck someday.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Let's get one thing out of the way. If people weren't making reservations and filling up the rooms, these properties would not be able asking what they are.

It's hard to fathom that somebody would actually pay close to $1000/nt at the Times Square Renaissance (just to sleep). I've stayed there and think my walk-in closet is larger than their typical room.

• NYC - Market Pricing
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

One other comment on New York. You should keep checking since the rates fluctuate on an hourly basis. It's unfortunate that Marriott does not have a way to check on reservations automatically for the best price like some of the consolidators do. Orbitz among them.  We've found that the Marquis for example can vary widely for the same night based on the time that I check for reservations. So, if I see a cheaper rate I buy it, and hope it will become less expensive.  Many rates are capacity controlled but there's flexibility ineach one of them.  My advice, never say never until almost the last day you need to reserve.

We broke down today and, after considering a bunch of variables, booked the New York Marriott East Side for a couple of days during the week of Xmas for $215 per room.  I'm pretty happy with that rate.

• I thought long and hard about the Fairfield Inn on 5th Avenue, at $199 per night, because we've heard it's OK.  But, alas, I like the East Side.
    • The Renaissance Times Square was surprisingly nicely priced, at $369 per night, but, once again, the price difference is simply too great.  Someday....

OK, we also bought tickets to Hugh Jackman's one-man show, Back on Broadway, because, uh, well, my wife has a crush on him....

http://www.hughjackmanonbroadway.com/

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

ssindc:

That's a great rate for a great hotel. You won't be disappointed there for sure.

stevew Platinum

Anytime you find a room in NYC for under or around $200, it is a great deal. Rates have always been high from Thanksgiving through Christmas. The past year or 2, I frequently see rates of $250 at a Fairfield to $500 at the Marquis all the time. Tourism is up and supply and demand are in place. In spite of the 100's of hotels in the area, we could use some more.

Looking ahead to 2012, if you're looking for a less expensive weekend in NYC (and/or if you want to see the preview of the return of Superstar* to Broadway), try the weekend of March 10.  As of today, these are the rates I got (and booked):

• Renaissance New York Hotel 57 - $169 (for the cozy room)
    • Courtyard Times Square South - $179
    • Courtyard Manhattan/Fifth Avenue - $199
    • New York Marriott East Side - $203
    • Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square - $289 (not bad)
    • New York Marriott Marquis - $299

Lots of other options....

Tickets to Superstar available on TicketMaster:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/Jesus-Christ-Superstar-NY-tickets/artist/1662928

p.s. Do you remember where and when you first saw Jesus Christ, Superstar?  (If your answer is "the movie," well....)  For me, it was London in the 1970's.  Exquisite!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Looks like great pricing for March!!!

We've seen it at least three times since the 1970s and fins something new every time.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

ssindc,

This is a great report. 

Very helpful for people wanting to go to NYC.  The "Worldwide" demand to come and visit NYC keeps the prices way up.

We finally got a reasonably priced room at the Times Square Renaissance.  So many folks had raved about it, we had to try it.

I'd recommend it.

PERFECT location!!!!!

Don't miss the bar/restaurant view of Times Square - wonderful.

And, if your a theater/musical lover - go see the revival of Jesus Christ Superstar!  We loved it.

Some photos here: https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/photoAlbums/1044

Location Brand Hotel
    New York, New York, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel
      jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

ssindc,

Good report!

Thanks for sharing this with us.  This is a great place.

It's not tough to do better than the Marquis anymore.

Mgmt changes there may mean better times?

pevers Platinum 2 Reviews

I stayed over a Christmas eve (2010) at the Marquis - but on points. I was there for five nights. This included Christmas Eve which fell on Friday, Christmas day - a Saturday.

Biggest negative was that the lounge was closed and I needed to battle to get vouchers for breakfast from the hotel. In the end, they gave did give it to me, for Christmas day only. Christmas morning, the lines into the restaurant were extremely long (about a 40 minute wait), and the service so-so. Either the hotel didn't schedule enough staff or they were just slow. We ate breakfast the next morning also at the hotel, the lines were shorter, but the service not much better. 

Overall, I found the hotel to be too big, too bustling and very impersonable. I didn't like it.

I usually, when in Manhattan, stay at the Courtyard on 3rd Ave at 53rd Street. Occassionally, I have got them to even pop for breakfast, even if my rate doesn't include breakfast. If not, there is a coffee shop accross the street with croissants, bagels and similar foods for a reasonable price.

I have also stayed at the Marriott in downtown Brooklyn. It is a short subway ride to lower Manhattan and very comfortable.  I have not had the opportunity to try the Marriott on Lexington. I'll keep it in mind next time I'm in New York.

I have found the Marquis to be losing its luster, a big place and getting bigger in terms of problems.  Elevators at first, then room service, and finally the cleaning of the rooms. Not my favorite anymore

Another successful stay and - for the purposes of this thread - another incredibly good deal at the Renaissance Hotel 57 in NYC.  If you don't need a large room (and, to be clear, this hotel offers some of the smaller rooms in the Marriott system - although they're quite nice and fully functional), this hotel remains one of the better kept secrets.  I continue to be surprised how often this property offers the best - or one of the best - price(s) in town.  It's a luxury hotel at a bargain chain price.

Also, in my experience, this hotel is one of the best managed properties you'll find.  The staff is uniformly polite, courteous, and helpful.  Others have posted on this hotel, for example: Renaissance Hotel 57 New York City

Give it a try next time you're headed to the Big Apple....

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

ssindc

I'm so glad to hear someone say the same things I believe about Hotel 57.  It's a great hotel in a fantastic location and has a lot going for it. 

I'm with you, this a a well-kept secret that others should try.

OK, this may seem repetitious, but you never know WHAT to expect in NYC.  The wild swings caused by market pricing mean that - if you are flexible - you can get INCREDIBLE rates!!!!  Looking ahead into early 2013, if you're looking for a less expensive weekend in NYC, try the weekend of February 16-18 (President's Day).  As of today, these are the rates I got (and booked):

• Renaissance New York Hotel 57 - $118!!! (for the cozy room, but still)
    • Courtyard Times Square South - $159!!!
    • Courtyard Manhattan/Fifth Avenue - $159!!! ($143 with AAA)
    • New York Marriott East Side - $152!!! (now THAT'S good living)....
    • Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square - $179!!!
    • Renaissance Times Square - $194 with AAA
    • New York Marriott Marquis - $299, but $209 with AAA!!!
    • The (Autograph) Algonquin - $233 - that's pretty darn good...
    • Fairfield Inn & Suites Manhattan/Fifth Avenue - $152!!!
    • Fairfield Inn & Suites Manhattan/Times Square - $125!!!

Lots of other options, of course, but that's REALLY cheap for some of the best hotels in NYC....

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Since I'm heading to Manhattan in March I thought I would look to see if my rate was lowered. I was disappointed to find out it hadn't come down. Then I decided to look up the dates that you specified and didn't find any bargains there either, so I'm wondering what you were looking at that I wasn't. I too used the AAA rate as well as rack. Here is what I got:

• Renaissance New York Hotel 57 - $199
      • Courtyard Times Square South - (didn't come up)
      • Courtyard Manhattan/Fifth Avenue - (didn't come up)
      • New York Marriott East Side - $199
      • Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square -$419
      • Renaissance Times Square -$339
      • New York Marriott Marquis - $379
      • The (Autograph) Algonquin - $359
      • Fairfield Inn & Suites Manhattan/Fifth Avenue - $314
      • Fairfield Inn & Suites Manhattan/Times Square - $332

Mikiegfla - dunno what to tell you... I booked two rooms at the Courtyard Manhattan/Fifth Avenue right before I posted - got 'em both for $143/night.  (Maybe I got the last two, but I doubt it.)  But you're right - the crazy thing with New York pricing is the constant changes.  For example, when I read your post, I checked again, and I just got:

Renaissance New York Hotel 57

• $143 (AAA)
        • $161 (prepay)
        • $179/$169 - two different rates for the two nights - but a combined rate of $175 is still good....

That's five (5) different good - OK, very good - but wildly different rates we've seen in ONE DAY!!!! Which, again, is why I often book my NYC trips in advance, get refundable rates, and then check about once a week.  We've seen some REALLY good last-minute rates that beat what we previously thought were impossible to be rates....  So keep checking!!!!

Sorry - couldn't resist - I just got a quote of $1,436 for a night at the Ritz Carlton on Central Park - and that's the AAA rate.  (It's $1,595 without AAA.)

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

ssindc wrote:

Curious to hear other's experiences, but I continue to find that the NYC properties have some of the most flexible, market-based pricing anywhere.  If there's a silver lining in all of this, it's that it appears that - at least in pockets - the travel industry is rebounding....

We tend to go up to NYC (on the train) periodically, and we tend to choose weekends where, for under $200, we can pick among multiple properties within walking distance from Time Square. 

Our favorites - all of which we've stayed in for under $200/night - include:

• Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square
    • Renaissance New York Hotel 57
    • New York Marriott Marquis, and the
    • New York Marriott East Side

We have not enjoyed the Courtyard New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue quite as much, and we've never snagged a really good price at the Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel, so we've never stayed there.

Anyway, so the weekend that my son wants to go to NYC, the rates (pre-taxes) at these hotels are:

• Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square - $469 (so it'll really be $540+)
    • Renaissance New York Hotel 57 - $389
    • New York Marriott Marquis - $449
    • New York Marriott East Side - $439
    • Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel - $789 (whoa!!!)

So, I proposed a different weekend - only one week difference, and the rates (pre-taxes) at these hotels are very different - some higher, some lower:

• Renaissance New York Hotel 57 - $459
    • New York Marriott Marquis - $499
    • New York Marriott East Side - $399
    • Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel- $749 (lower, but still... whoa!!!)

So, I checked one other weekend - only one week difference in the other direction, and the rates (pre-taxes) at these hotels are, again, very different:

• Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square - $539 (ouch!)
    • Renaissance New York Hotel 57 - $509
    • New York Marriott Marquis - $599 (yikes!)
    • New York Marriott East Side - $539
    • Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel- $979 (uh, I don't think so!!!)

Now that I've got started... just for fun - if we wanted to spend New Year's Eve in NYC,

• Renaissance New York Hotel 57 - FULL
    • New York Marriott Marquis - $549
    • New York Marriott East Side - FULL
    • Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel- FULL; and, just for fun
    • Ritz-Carlton, Central Park - $1,749 (before taxes!!!!)

Alas, my son isn't going to get to see that play for a few months - he'll survive.... Who knows, we may have to go Xmas eve.  Would you believe that - in comparison - if you want to spend Xmas Eve in NYC, the rates (pre-taxes) at these hotels are

• Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square - $259 (note - MORE than the Marquis)
    • Renaissance New York Hotel 57 - $233
    • New York Marriott Marquis - $224 (now we're talking!!!)
    • New York Marriott East Side - $279
    • Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel- $589 (nope!!!)

I went to New York recently on short notice and I got a last minute rate of $249/night for the Courtyard Manhattan Times Square South.  I considered myself lucky since I often see $349/night for that property (Ive seen as low as $159/night too).  The room was small (as expected) but nice and the location was convenient.  However, I think I will go for the JW Marriott Essex House at Central Park next time on points.  That property can go as low as $349/night but is typically $449/night or higher.

A quick update for NYC hotel consumers - as we know, some NYC properties are great, most involve compromises, sometimes you can be unlucky....  But you cannot assume that a high category rating (or platinum status) means that you are going to receive a top-tier Marriott experience!!!

For example, before you book (or jump at a bargain rate) at the Courtyard New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue, make sure you do your "due diligence" and read some of the reviews - it's clearly still a work in progress...  Here's my review (and, others have had a decidedly mixed experience): Courtyard New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue

erc Platinum

Nice review, that's valuable info. I've often found that I can beat that CY price (granted, I'm mostly a weekend NYC visitor) with the nearby 6th Ave. Residence Inn (GemP's favorite) and recently I've had good luck with both the new Midtown SpringHill and the Herald Sq. CY, so your review drives a nail into that coffin - thanks for sharing.

Here's another trend I've noticed about NY properties, they are requesting more and more cancellation dates 1,2, and sometimes even 3 days out from the stay - so Insiders, be alert (the world needs more lerts). Happy New Year

Agreed, erc, we're big fans of that Residence Inn but, alas, it's not a very well kept secret any more, and, the last couple of years, we've found that it's increasingly hard to get a room there for a reasonable price.