14 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2014 10:59 AM by techie RSS

LAX Recommendations?

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I'm going to be spending one night at LAX in a couple of weeks.  My needs are minimal - I'm going to be stepping off of a long-haul from Asia and then flying east in the morning - I just want:

• free, convenient airport shuttle service;
  • a good night's sleep; and
  • a decent (complimentary) breakfast.

In terms of options:

• I've booked the LAX Renaissance, but I've never stayed there.  (When in doubt, I choose Renaissance because - over the years - they've treated me the best of the various Marriott properties.)
  • I'm avoiding the El Segundo/LAX Residence Inn this time.  I've stayed there a couple of times.  Good shuttle service, nice staff, comfortable rooms, surprisingly good food service.  But, in my experience, the rooms are simply too loud.  I have not slept well the last two times I stayed there.
  • There's a newly renovated Courtyard at LAX.  I'm not taking that option because my last few stays at Courtyard have not included breakfast (which I continue to find perplexing), and I don't like the new Courtyard breakfast (Bistro) format.
  • I was looking at the LAX Marriott, too...

Any and all Insider knowledge and experience would be welcomed.  THANKS!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Los Angeles, California, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Los Angeles LAX/Century Boulevard
Los Angeles, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Los Angeles Airport Marriott
Los Angeles, California, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel
El Segundo, California, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/El Segundo
Los Angeles, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Los Angeles Airport Marriott
Los Angeles, California, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel
  • Re: LAX Recommendations?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

LAX Marriott has always been good to me!

They fit the needs you are looking forward to.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I stayed at the LAX Renaissance last Friday evening for one night. I stay at this hotel every time I need a short term stay with a quick out. I would even stay there longer if positioned in the LA area for a longer time. The shuttle service runs every twenty minutes to LAX; the hotel, although close to the sirport, is extremely quiet. Very, very well insulated. I have never been bothered by any airplane noise. The Concierge Lounge is very nice and not overrun with 'problem' items. Very nice, The entire staff has always been extremely professional and proficient in the check in and out process. They have always acknowledged my status with a welcome back Mr. ______ thanks for being a Platinum Elite with Marriott and choosing us for your stay. The hotel is very well kept and appointed. Very modern and the pride in the hotel staff as part of the program shows.

I do not think you will be disappointed in a stay at the Renaissance. I think you will enjoy it (as best you can after a long flight from Asia).

Hope this helps.

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

I've stayed at both the Ren. and the LAX Marriott, and they are both good choices.  We always get the "Park Here Fly There" deal when flying out of there.  Although, the Marriott valet did almost lose our keys once!

Location Brand Hotel
        nbcmarine Platinum

The Renaissance is the way to go- the service is the best. It is my favorite Marriott brand hotel in the world! One caveat-- if you have kids the pool at the Marriott is much better. That said the service level is better and it is much quitter than the Marriott as it a convention hotel.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Thanks again to all who responded on this one!  I'm about to check out of the LAX Renaissance.

• As promised, I got a good night sleep in a quiet room in a comfortable bed!
    • The concierge lounge was nice, staffed by pleasant and helpful staff, and the view of the distant hills was a minor treat.  In particular, the fresh fruit was attractive, plentiful, and tasty!
    • OK, the two jerks that continued their mobile phone conversations after entering the Concierge Lounge were both disappointing and surprising.  Both were inordinately loud and inappropriately careless - neither conversation belonged in the public domain.  Sorry guys, take it back to you rooms!

iefbr14 Platinum 4 Reviews

The LAX Renaissance is very nice. You won't even know you are near an airport, the rooms are so quiet.

The only negative is their Marriott headquarters mandated reduction in CL services. No longer cool breakfast items like french toast, eggs benedict, fritattas. Just corporate standard overcooked scrambled eggs, pastries, oatmeal. I was told that corporate told LAX Ren to dial it down, way down. Water and soda that is never cold enough because it was loaded in the refrigerator the same morning. The in-room single water bottle was also stopped, now there's just $5 Fiji water.

Weekends: you just get access to a big room. No water, no soda, no coffee.

When the reduction first started, they were slipping coupons into my key envelope. Then they were told to stop that too. Very rarely, I will still get one of those as a special courtesy from management, but it's not predictable or reliable.

For sleep and access to LAX, LAX Ren can't be beat.

2champ Platinum

The Manhattan Beach marriott ABOUT TWO MILE FROM THE AIRPORT IS NICE.

YOU SHOULD CONFIRM A SHUTTLE  HOWEVER.

eiffelfine Platinum

I frequently stay at the LAX Marriott on business.  I like the fitness room and the CL is decent.  I like the shuttle service too. The LAX Ren is also really nice, but I end up staying at the LAX Marriott for the fitness room and pool area. Decent coffee from a machine, tea, water, juice, club soda, fruit, and pretzels are always available in the CL during not operating hours and I appreciate that as well.  When I can, I also like to stay at the Manhattan Beach Marriott.  It is a bit farther away from the airport but quieter.  I am not certain they have a dependable shuttle from the Manhattan Marriott as I usually have a rental car when I am staying at the Manhattan Beach Marriott.  The nice thing about the Manhattan Beach M is that it backs up to a golf course and there are some reasonably decent restaurants within walking distance from it.  In fact, some of the best steaks I have had have been at Flemings just down the street.  It is a chain but the prime cuts are tasty and room is darkly paneled and "clubby" just the way a steakhouse should be.

jjj Platinum

I stay at the LAX Renaissance at least once a month for there convenient park and fly package. Very convenient, easy shuttle service, and a great staff make for a positive experience.

Platinum 28 Reviews

(see my recent post - DOES RENAISSANCE TRY HARDER)

No contest - Stay at the LAX Renaissance - added benefit (LOL) THE BEST ONION SOUP WEST OF THE MISSISSIPPI!!!!!!  (Not sure I ever had onion soup East of the Mississippi)

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

I also recommend the Ren. over the LAX Marriott.  It's a smaller place, with better service.  Plus, the LAX Marriott almost lost my car keys when I did the park and fly there once.  That was my last time there.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

NathalieF To me, this is a post that is so dated that it should not come up unless it is just to compare options at LAX but the original had long been answered.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

I guess it is too late to respond to the original question, but I'm sorry you had the experience of two loud ,mobile phone talkers in the lounge.

This seems to happen a lot, in any lounge really, and most particularly in the United States.

I stayed in the Marriott LAX some years ago and also stayed in the Renaissance in December about five months ago.  I too had a one night stopover.

The breakfast in the lounge was toned down but the hotel was comfortable, internet worked fast, and I had two meals in the restaurant, both were pretty good and the staff was nice.\

I took the shuttle to and from the airport, that went well.

I too had a one night stopover in LA and the Renaissance was just great for that. 

The LAX Marriott is a lot bigger hotel....I am not going to say it is a bad choice, but I would pick the Renaissance.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...