6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2011 9:49 PM by tef6178 RSS

Customizing Insiders

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

A friend here has over 50 excellent, restored  super cars, from racing Bugatti's to original MB Gullwings.  His rationale for having so many has applicability for Insiders:  He loves to have a custom ride and this allows him that flexibility.

bugatti.jpggull wing.jpg

We're faced with a one size fits all approach in this version of Insiders as we were with the past versions, but why can't we have a discrete, custom interface when we log on? I have mentioned i Google in the past as one exemplar of this dashboard approach, but there are many others out there on the Internet.

I'd prefer a simpler look with the following:

• What's going on in various categories of my choosing (this requires judicious tagging by posters, and given the new system is often overlooked)?
  • A quick view of the people I am following, with a frequency count of their posts and the dates of posting
  • A geographic sort of posts, listing all posts in a region of teh US or overseas that I am following, and
  • A way to get more Personal Messages to people I follow or who follow me without doing it for each of them (by the way we'll need to expand the relatively stingy allocation of 100 total in PMs).

And that's the truth!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Pebble Beach, California, USA
  • Re: Customizing Insiders
    pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

SS - not the easiest, but here is a way to create a Bookmark for California (generic) topics and discussions (similar approach to establishing other custom bookmarks):

Begin by getting to the desired location (in this example, Destinations):

Set URL parameters.gif

Set the appropriate Geographical area desired:

URL Destinations.gif

Select California:

California.gif

Copy the URL once the filters have been established:

Copy URL for bookmark.gif

Select Create a Bookmark:

Create Bookmark Navigation.gif

Customize the bookmark with your title and paste the URL and save the bookmark:

Create Private Bookmark.gif

To use the bookmark:

Open Bookmark.gif

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Pingreeman:

J. Robert Oppenheimer had an easier time in Los Alamos working on the Manhattan Project!  The steps you have outlined make perfect sense if anyone had the time and patience to do them.  I for one do not/  This is 2011.  The context sensitive methods used for Google seem work fine in searches or suggestions.  This site has none of that.  I am disappointed.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

SS -

Oh I so agree. But as a software consultant, I always try to find workarounds, even if they aren't pretty.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

SS:

Love to see some of these things take place, but to do so is s-o-o-o-o cumbersome in this new system. Who has all this time?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...