Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2011 4:49 PM by tef6178 RSS

Unfocused?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Well, what's going on?  I log on to Insiders and see lots of unrelated posts, few comments on those posts, and even fewer travel related posts.  It's been up long enough that we should be coalescing around certain themes, but I fear we are not.

What I see is lots of glitz, plenty of activity, few approval of posts, almost no Community Manager posting, and on and on.

If we were grading this new Insider look for ease of use, and for my personal needs I'd give it a D, but then we're not using a curve!

I feel like an Outsider on Insiders.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Unfocused?
    nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Steppingstones - I think your title - Unfocused - hits the nail on the head in regard to the feel of the new Insiders page. Whereas with the old site we had a clear idea of where to post something (the old Hotels, Business, Marriott Rewards, and the fourth that for the life of me I can't recall), now, we have individual posts with followup posts in no particular order.

I never thought of a D as grade inflation, but in this case, it might be. I'm thinking more along the lines of a D - !

nhtraveler

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Dear NH

Well there is room for improvement so that's the reason for the D!  I find that the silence from the Community Manager most interesting, and the plethora of new members joining tells me there is no going back to the way it was. Sadly it's leaving some of us behind!

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi SS - Come to think of it, you're right. I haven't seen as many responsive posts from the Community Manager either. Maybe he's finding the new site as unfocused as you and I and thus he just can't focus on the number of posts.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

ss

yeah, leaving some of us behind.....   that's exactly the way I feel.  Also, I cannot believe that the influx of new members has ANYTHING to do with the new site.  We just never knew about new membership before. 

Very true Shoeman, as with any group, people arrive, people leave. I hope this is not an attempt to convince anyone that the Insiders is alive and growing -- we already knew that.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

SS:

I wonder where the 'new members' are coming from. Is there a Facebook or some other link Marriott is using to attract newbies (a Marriott term, not mine)?

I think the postings will eventually relate back to the travel issues as we have known them in the not too distant future and hopefully we will have some new contributors that can share their experiences.

As far as the glitz goes, I don't use it....and most likely won't. I enjoy the postings that are informative; the banter; and the camaraderie that a lot of us have grown accustomed to over time.

I guess if us 'oldies' get left behind, we'll just have to have 'reunions' to rekindle. Toga will be the theme.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

The new Marriott web site with the changes to My Account Overview now has a hyperlink buried in the center of the page to encourage new members. This was never there before and to the best of my knowledge, the only hyperlink to the MRI was under the "My Account" drop-down on the log in page. Here's the new link:

Members are talking.gif

Pingreeman:

You're all over this stuff....great observations and advice for navigation in other postings. Thanks again for all the help!

nhtraveler:

I think the fourth category was 'LOCAL'.........or something related to an individualized setting.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings steppingstones and Insiders, although the community is now on a new platform with additional features, the community is still focused on exploring the experience of travel. 

You can use as many or as few of the new features as you're comfortable with so feel free to jump into the conversations. Or within the Destinations, Marriott Rewards, Travel Tips, or Other Topics areas, you could start a new thread about your travel experiences, questions, advice, or anything else you would have discussed on the previous site.

Thanks for your participation and we look forward to your continued insights.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...