4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2011 7:44 PM by tef6178 RSS

Concierge Lounge Experiences

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Many of us spend lots of  time in Concierge Lounges, maybe waiting for someone, relaxing, or just staring out the window.   Some of us have had poignant experiences there, moments when it seemed that the world stopped or human interaction and kindness reached a new level.

Here is one of my Concierge Lounge moments from the 1980s:

cg.jpg

The Crystal Gateway Marriott is located in Arlington VA, and is a heavily marble-floored slab sided building with over 700 rooms and suites.  The Lounge is located on the top

floor of the older tower.  One large suite, room 1601, was at the end of the floor.

bl.jpg

It was in that suite that a Black Labrador, Barney, lived most of the year.  A great dog, a good customer for the hotel, and sometime visitor to the Lounge to beg for cookies!  Barney did no harm but it wasn't long before person or persons unknown complained and citing health regulations Barney was banned from entering the Lounge.  The door that led to the Lounge was normally open, a Concierge checked you in, so as a compromise Barney would just barely enter the Lounge, sitting down with his front paws on the edge of the room, looking forlornly at the guests,asking for a kind word, a pet, or more importantly, a cookie treat.

We all succumbed.

One trip I came into the Lounge and found everyone looking somber.  Seems Barney had died of heart failure while chasing a Squirrel on the hotel's front lawn.  Sadly one of the Associates at the hotel was taking him for his daily walk when it happened.

Barney's owner placed a small picture and homage to Barney in a silver frame and for months it hung in the Lounge.  We hoped Barney was happy and still looking for a treat somewhere better.  We all missed him.  He made an otherwise impersonal and business Lounge a good place to be.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Concierge Lounge Experiences
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Great hotel and a better story. Thanks for sharing. I'm a softie for those good dogs as you could probably tell from my picture that shows one of my three little guys!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

Touching story...I had a black lab growing up.  However health regulations need to be adhered to.  No dogs where food is served.  Even though most of us love dogs, some people do not and some are allergic.  A business lounge is no place for furry animals.

I'm in a Marriott near London.  It isn't a resort.  There is no business lounge.  Dog or no dog.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Barney was better behaved than most denizens of the Lounge in my opinion.  Other than a bottomless appetite for cookies, he was well-mannered. 

Recall what Huxley said, "To a dog every man in Napoleon, hence the enduring popularity of dogs!"  Or Dave Berry's famous line, "You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'"

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

For many years we enjoyed taking our guys (dogs) to St. Maarten for the winter, about a 6-7 month span. They absolutely loved it, especially when we took them to the restaurant when we went out to eat (quite often). I had no idea they could be so well behaved. They would get under the table and the wait staff would try and coax them out with bribes (treats). All they would do is drink water that was always brought in a bowl for them.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...