93 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2012 2:18 PM by chrisf RSS

Insiders...Where are you?

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I haven't seen many posts lately talking about stays at Marriott Hotels or Resorts. Where is everyone? Would like to hear about those visits! I know the markets are in total freefall and the economy is in tatters, but someone has to be traveling.....

Your assignment, should you choose to accept it..is to post about those travels and stays at Marriott or wherever. Doesn't matter where it is/was...let's hear about it!

Let's get back to the discussions that brought us all here!

Of course, this message will self destruct (meaning, it will move to page 18 on the Browse Board never to be seen again) if you don't respond!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Dallas, Texas, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Dallas Hotel
Texarkana, Texas, USA TownePlace Suites By Marriott Protea Hotel Cape Castle Waterfront
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance New Orleans Arts Hotel
Los Angeles, California, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Los Angeles Century City/Beverly Hills
Los Angeles, California, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Beverly Hills
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Charlottesville North
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Charlottesville - University Medical Center
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Charlottesville
Denver, Colorado, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Denver Marriott City Center
Titusville, Florida, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Titusville Kennedy Space Center
  • Re: Insiders...Where are you?
    nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Tef6178 - I've recently stayed at the Marriott Eastside in New York and the Renaissance Vinoy in St. Petersburg, Florida. Both provided really excellent experiences. The Marriott Eastside upgraded me to a mini-suite which was especially appreciated, while the Vinoy provided its usual superb level of service.

The Vinoy is truly in a league of of its own. A classic hotel, it's employees are universally professional, and they remember you from stay-to-stay. Whenever Brenda and I check in, we are greeted by name, and a "It's great to see you again" comment. Yes, we have stayed there a lot, but it's still nice to be recognized.

This summer, I was at the Glasgow, Scotland, Marriott. Their concierge lounge was excellent - quiet, with things like kippers for breakfast! They also had the Financial Times which was a real pleasure.

I hope that others post as well to keep this discussion on the front page of the Browse Board!

nhtraveler

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nhtraveler:

Thanks for the post. Michelle and I stay at the Marriott Eastside every time we go to NYC. It is the best hotel. We have always been treated exceptionally well and also receive the mini upgrade. How did you like the CL? Were you able to go outside and enjoy breakfast from the 16th floor? Had they finished the bar/restaurant renovations when you went there? The Vinoy I have never been to. We have neighbors who go there for Christmas and invite us every year, but we have family (Michelle's sister) who live just outside Tampa Bay. Our neighbors absolutely love the place. Always talking about Room 214, whatever that is, but claim it to be the best room in the hotel.

Again, thanks for the post!

Hi Tef6178 - I was at the Marriott Eastside over a weekend, so the CL was closed. (Again, don't get me started on that, or the way the resorts don't even have them!) The bar/restaurant renovations were about two or three weeks away from completion. My understanding was that things were a bit behind schedule so we didn't have the opportunity to see the remodeled lobby.  Brenda and I have a reservation at the Vinoy during the holiday season this year, so if you you take your neighbors up on the invitation to join them, let me know. We can get together for snacks and a drink on their marvelous veranda! Thanks for the comment re: room 214. I'll check it out. I usually go for rooms on upper floors, but who knows - Rm. 214 might be worth it.

If we go, I'll be sure to let you know via private message. Michelle and I would enjoy the opportunity to get together for some Christmas cheer!!!

Thanks for the post!

erc Platinum

tef

This is an old post, so I don't feel so bad about changing the tread, plus after just reading your CY response, I thought I'd better react quickly while you're still active.

Hang in there tef, you're one of the best. Just enjoy the travel experiences and your good pals, and in general, Illegitimi non carborundum (yes, I know, bad latin - but you get the gist).

Anyway, in keeping with the year old thread - after staying at the Blacksburg Va. Fairfield this week, I'm heading out to Tahoe to the Timber Lodge.

Now, here's my question NathalieF.  As I type this, jerrycoin is the most recent contributor to all five most current posts (a clean sweep of the board). Now when I check trending, not only is jerrycoin not trending (and he is always trendy) but several of the participants that are 'trending' have less total posts than jerry has on the board. So Andy et al., how does this trending thing work?  Good night all.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

erc,

I had no idea of "My trending", I hope it does not annoy you or anyone else.  I just happen to watch TV while I travel and really enjoy these posts from "Friends", most of whom I have never met, but do respect.  As a matter of fact, I am at a FF in the city of Fenton, Mo, tonight, not too memorable, but this is  a special place for me.

Hope this is "Friendly" to any comments!

erc Platinum

jerry

ha ha ha. This is why e-mails aren't as effective as phones. No, no, no, I don't mind if you or anyone else is 'trending' , I appreciate your posting and all the effort.

I had just read tef's comment about slowing down his Insider activity due to the lack of action of anyone from Marriott toward any of our service issue concerns, so I looked thru Activity to try and find something to drop him a note, without changing the direction of an active original thread. I found an old one from tef from October (which ironically, your comment today on it, brought it up as current) - so I wrote tef a note, telling him to hang in there.

What caught my eye was the clean sweep of the board by jerrycoin - no big deal, but very obvious by its repetitiveness. I had just come from the Activity link and I had always wondered about the Marriott Insiders 'trending' (which I understand from twitter and hashtags). This seemed to be a good example of how it seemed to run differently than mentions or posts (or else jerrycoin would have been one of the trending ten) - so, since I had re-directed tef's year old thread anyway, I thought I'd ask Andy whassup. That's all.

You keep on keepin' on my man, I and I'm certain everyone else, enjoy your posts and photos. Ok, Conan's over, it's really bedtime for bonzo now.

erc,

Thanks!

I never want to feel I am "Too much", but as I travel, I enjoy sharing things with others.

I really wonder if some of the "Past great contributors" (SS, and others) felt they were too "Contributing", I hope not!

erc, thanks for your post!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

I had just come from the Activity link and I had always wondered about the Marriott Insiders 'trending' (which I understand from twitter and hashtags). This seemed to be a good example of how it seemed to run differently than mentions or posts (or else jerrycoin would have been one of the trending ten) - so, since I had re-directed tef's year old thread anyway, I thought I'd ask Andy whassup. That's all.

Great question. As opposed to most recent which is purely based upon the creation date of a thread, "trending" accounts for a variety of factors which include, page views, likes, followers, comments, and shares among others. So Trending contributors or posts are a best guess at something you may find interesting.

erc Platinum

Thank you for the prompt, thoughtful response; you guys (meaning Comm. Mgrs of both sexes) are growing more responsive and timely in many ways and I'm sure it's appreciated by more than just me.  The dialogue is becoming more interactive with Marriott (like the CY Brand Mgr responding), hopefully the system can become effective BEFORE we lose valuable input providers like SS and tef (see below). Best of luck toward making it happen - it certainly appears you're trying (although it's all about results, trying only counts in marriage), stay at it and keep throwing those line managers in front of us - everyone wins.

dejamo  this is where you usually chime in from the Insiders graveyard

dejamo Platinum

Well, well, well,...................... now that you mention it, I might as well rise from the dead......Halloween wasn't too long ago was it ?

I was notfiied via another source that my name was being "used in vain" (LOL)  on this website, so I figured I would look in, as I have not over the recent past.  There has been no need for me to anyway, as nothing has changed. So as far as I am concerned, (as well as the other people I "took" with me, and countless others ROI's, the "lip service" remains part of the modus operandi. I have also taken a liking to some of the other hotel related blogs,where interest is shown by those with authority, reasonable explanations are provided, customer service is more consistent,  significant benefits to top tier customers are actually provided and responsiveness is appreciated.

If it were not so tragic, it would be comical, that I find it fascinating where of the 115 posts by the Community Managers in the past 38 months, there has been no changes to the Marriott "we are trying" mantra, and still nothing to show the PP's and P's that they are wanted.  But of course, as well mentioned continually in wayyyyyyyy too many posts,  the problem is not the CM's (as their marching orders are to keep the ducks in line, masses in dialouge,   and promote the propaganda about all the "improvements made"), in short....................... drink the Marriott KoolAid, I hold no ill will towards them, as they are just doing their jobs, and have no power where it counts. In this vein, I would agree, that there have been some tangible improvements made over the years on a general scale to the congregation,  but for myself,  other Platinum Premiers, and Platinums alike, "their MOST VALUED CUSTOMER BASE"...........(LOL/LMAO/ROFL and all the others..........)  have their been any improvements , recognition incentives, super duper double handshake, secret password,  encrytpted benefits ?     NOPE,   NODDA,  ZERO,  ZILCH,  SQUATOLA, NYET !  Yet we still cant use points for all inclusive Carribean, Mexico vacation packages,  still only 50% bonus points, still no free breakfasts,  still no free parking,  still no free annual night certificates,  still no this, still no that  etc....etc..............

I have remained steadfast in my thought process,  and have not spent 1 $ at a Marriott property since March, and when I have to, I am just using up my significant points accumulated instead of spending $$. ( By the way,  since I have to travel for a living, obtaining top tier status at both Hilton and Priority Club were easily substituted this year for significantly less $$.)

The Q2 bait and switch, random bonus cluster%&$^ was the straw that broke the preverbial camel's back for me. I was on the fenceline at the time for loyalty, I was no more "important" a customer than any other, although,  I thought they could see that I was more "imperative" where they would at least supply me some with a miniscule amount of satisfaction to a simple request that took just one email from them and cost them nothing.  They chose not to do so.  So we left,  and MRI lost 23 previous loyal koolaid drinkers because of it.

My last MRI post to you on 4/27 remains as true as ever to this date, nothing has changed, except for the earnings reports where the stock analysts are cautious as the uncertain economic environment still lingers over Europe, and, stiff competition from the major hotel chains and independent companies in regional markets show a tough scenario for them.

I can now enjoy my upcoming our inclusive family vacation in Montego Bay,  using points only....which is easy to do with other programs.......

"Throw me under the bus" any time,  as I enjoy getting on every few months to watch status quo............

Regards to all...............

erc Platinum

dejamo

Attaboy, ol' reliable. I knew I could count on you, thanks for taking the effort, I (and others) appreciate it.

Well there you go Marriott, once again demonstrating the reality that negative word of mouth can be potentially just as damaging as positive can be helpful. Negative word of mouth especially in this day and age can undo years of positive momentum if not managed properly (observe the energy utilized and revenue lost) - but, I'm not telling Marriott anything they don't already know. Sadly, as I have stated several times before on my posts, opening 143 new properties in high margin Asia and crisply managing operating agreements (both to Marriott's credit) apparently throws enough to the bottomline to more than offset disgruntled, loyal customers; for now. 

I'm convinced with just a bit of fine tuning of an apparent (perception is reality in service marketing) deaf ear, we (customers and the company) could all benefit with a win-win scenario. Marriott didn't get to this level of industry leadership by being stupid, so apparently the loss of revenue like dejamo's (and he booked his group as well as himself) and others who have expressed similar frustration is immaterial; but why wait until it is?  That's why, perhaps naively so, I'm hoping the recent, ever so subtle movement in forum interaction, is a beginning of a trend of actual consumer input being respected, if not actually utilized in a more profitable manner for all parties.

dejamo Platinum

Dont know where the picture of this imposter came from...................but MY casket is pimped out in Priority Rewards green  now...............(changed colors in April).

erc:

Thanks for the kind words. It really is the people on this forum that hold my place on here. Yes, I don't participate like I used to because I really don't see any answers coming from the folks who push the buttons at Marriott. It's just lip service. A hard comment I know, but it's a real one. Nothing against the Community managers or associates who comment on this forum because they've all been very good to us, but, quite frankly, it's obvious their hands are tied to the table. Folks like to participate in forums such as these when they can.....get answers to issues raised or help someone who seeks it through a forum post.

Tha being said, I'll participate when I can see a thread that I might be able to help a fellow traveler with a comment through a past experience or knowledge I might have about an issue that they are looking for an answer to. But, complaining about things we don't get answers to is off my board now. My 'issues' (and others) really don't matter.

In regards to sending me a message....I think that when you go to someone's profile page...there is a 'SEND Direct Message' button that allows one to send a message to that person that only is seen by the sender and receiver of the message.

Enjoy Tahoe and the Timber Lodge!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I choose to accept the assignment.

We just spent 3 nights at the category 4 Dallas Renaissance Hotel.  I had high expectations after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor and they were met.  Our check-in was efficient.  When I asked about the possibility of an upgrade I was told that an upgrade to a suite would be available for the first night, but not the next two nights.  We decided we did not want to change rooms.  I had requested a room on a high floor facing the Dallas skyline and my request was fulfilled.  The night view of downtown Dallas was beautiful. The hotel is shaped like a football and it appeared that the rooms near the center of the building might be larger; our room was the next to last room on the end and we had plently of room.  The bathroom was small and included a tub/shower, vanity with sink, and toilet.  There was also a vanity with a sink outside of the bathroom.  The Aveda products are nice.  There was a mini-fridge, safe, and coffee/tea maker in the room.   The television is a 37" flat screen. There was traffic all night long along 35E, but there was little real traffic noise.  Parking was complimentary.  There was a charge for valet parking.

Our AAA rate included breakfast in the restaurant Asador.  The selections included scrambled eggs, eggs with bacon/peppers/onions/cheese, made to order omelets, pancakes or French toast, grits, oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, and a great selection of fresh fruit.  Of course, the pineapple at Marriott properties is always really good.  Beverages were included.  I think the breakfast buffet was $19.95 if your rate did not include it.

We checked out the Club Lounge on Friday morning, but decided to eat in the restaurant.  I asked if platinum members were given breakfast vouchers on the week-end when the lounge was closed and was told yes. We did use the computer/printer in the lounge to print directions to a couple of restaurants (that we had seen featured on the Food Network), but when we had problems with the printer we asked at the front desk and they graciously printed the maps for us.

The pool, whirlpool, and fitness room are located on the roof.  We went to check out the view; however, you cannot see over the concrete wall.  The pool looks like a lap pool.

Check-out took a few extra minutes because I was using a gift card and had to wait for the desk manager.  She apoligized profusely for the wait (couldn't have been more than 5 minutes).  We will choose this hotel in the future when we return to Dallas.

Location Brand Hotel
    Dallas, Texas, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Dallas Hotel
      shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

as mentioned on another post (no telling where/if it ever showed), I just spent 4 nights at the Marriott Long Wharf in Boston.  Other than the $44 a day parking, the stay was wonderful.  The Concierge was most helpful for trips as well as for dining ideas.  The rooms were on the small side, but very clean and quiet.  The Concierge lounge was well-equipped with all the trappings you would expect, and its hours of operation were extended and ran throughout the weekend.  I cannot say enough about this place.  Also, the location is perfect for exploring the city and all it has to offer.  I highly recommend it!

Shoeman:

Having lived in Boston, I only got to be at the Marriott Long Wharf when business took me there. Every time I went, I thought the place was great! My best remembrance is one time I was there for an Association Convention and, as President of the Association, I got to introduce our featured speaker for the evening...former Celtic great Tommy Heinsohn. All I can say was...he was huge in height, size and stature. Didn't get a lot of time to speak with him....but after the banquet a few of us were having drinks...and Heisohn walks over to our table and asks if we would mind if he joined us. He talked our ears off for the next few hours and what stories he told about his days in professional basketball and television as a color commentator! When we left, he picked up the tab...saying he wouldn't have it any other way. Quite a night.

Thanks for the post!

tef6178

what a great story.  sometimes the random evening becomes a great memory.

thank you for sharing!

Yes, the Marriott Long Wharf is great. Another marvelous addition to the Marriott family in Boston is the now two-year or so old Renaissance South Boston. It's walking distance from the Museum of Contemporary Art, the Legal Sea Foods Test Kitchen, and, if memory serves, Anthony's Pier Four restaurant. I stay there every year on the weekend before the annual Project Bread 20 mile walk against hunger. It makes getting ready for that much exercise a bit more fun.

razorbackfan:

The Dallas Renaissance sounds like a great hotel. Shaped like a football? Wow! I really like the recognition of your status with the weekend breakfast vouchers and the high room with the view! We'd really like that. Their helpful attentiveness to needs is a nice touch. I'll have to try this hotel next year when I go to Dallas.

Thanks for the post....now I have a new place to look forward to!

razorbackfan:

What a great view!!!

Thanks for posting it.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

My wife and I spent this past weekend at private accommodations...felt like home.  Actually it was. We were the only guests. Children are all grown and gone! And after being gone all last week visiting relatives down South, we were glad to be home.  Ate breakfast in our own kitchen...grits, whole hog sausage, toast and piping hot coffee.  For supper, we ate out...on the deck that is.  Grilled two prime rib eye steaks with the normal trimmings we enjoy; salad and baked potato.  Then of course, later in the evening, we watched as 22 of our closest friends got the shinola beat out of them on both sides of the ball.  On Sunday, we mourned for their health and welfare, both mentally and physically, and last night we held our own wake, American style, with lots of American beer.  This upcoming weekend will find us among our own kind, 80 some odd thousand of husker nation die-hards, as we attempt to redeem our honor.  During this whole month (Oct) I will actually only spend two (2) nights in a hotel.  Life is good.

Hey Husker

thought about you as the wife and I watched that shellacking last saturday evening....  I guess that was your welcome to the Big 10.  I hope this week brings better results.

nuhusker:

I like the menu! Sorry about the team....I'll be rooting for a better result next game. Amazing, you have the same taste in food as we do..........had Ribeyes with salad and baked potato Monday night on our return from the west coast! We had it on the deck too! Passed on the beer that night though...went for the high test stuff!

Thanks for the post!

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

The summer has been quiet for me but is picking up again.  Most recently I was in Jacksonville FL at a Courtyard property.  It has the updated lobby and the staff are nice enough.  The hotel seems newer so the rooms were nice and I got an upgrade to a suite which just made it that much better.  I had been at the full service Marriott across the road the week prior and cant really say too much positive about it except it was just like any other full service Marriott.  The CL lounge was ok but the same food day after day really gets old.  And by same food I honestly think the same cookies and brownies were on the plate for 3 days in a row...or they took great care in making sure the plate had the same 3 cookies and 2 brownies every night .  I must have been there during a convention or something because the lounge was literally packed with people a few times and it made for a less pleasurable stay.  I would definitely recommend the Courtyard over the full service if you are in southern JAX.

Otherwise, lets see Dallas Tx at a nice Residence Inn in Plano.  Then there was a few nights in Orange County CA back at the hotel I had been at for most of the first part of the year.  Aside from 2x a month down to Jacksonville FL for the rest of the year I'm not sure what else is on tap for the year, hoping for another trip to the UK and maybe AMS towards the holidays.

zukracer:

I hope they at least saran wrapped the cookies and brownies in between the nights they put them out!

What hotel were you in when out in Orange County? Going there next year in Sepember for the IndyCar race and will stay at least a couple of nights in Orange County so could use a good recommendation.

Thanks for the post!

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Hi tef,

I spent a number of months at the https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/snast-costa-mesa-marriott/  Costa Mesa Marriott.  Its right near one of the bigger shopping areas, fantastic places to eat in the area and pretty easy to get around.  The highways are all within a few mins drive from the property.

The hotel rooms are not huge but they are all suites and the staff there is absolutely great.  They do have some hospitality suites on the top 2 floors, I was lucky enough to get upgraded to them a few times but I believe they have since become the airline's "club" room.  Quantas uses the property for their staff when they are off duty out of LAX.  They add to the occupancy but since all rooms are the same really they aren't killing any upgrades   but also means in the evenings the lobby can get pretty crowded when they all meet up to catch the LAX bus.

I stayed at most all of the Costa Mesa/SNA Marriott properties looking for some place to call home for 5months and this one was the best hands down.  They have a nice breakfast buffet that's free for elite members but sadly no CL...the front desk will load you up with bottle water if you want though.  The pool is very nice and the property is located beside a park area with a little lake.  There are some price savings if you qualify for some of the corporate rates or the govt rate, which is nice because this property isnt the cheapest at list price   The one gotcha about this one vs some others...since its proximity to the fine dining and shopping they have a $18/day parking fee....but they have their own garage so you definitely will have a spot.

Mike is one of the front desk managers and Sasha is the lead concierge/desk manager there.  Both are great guys and will go above and beyond for loyal members.  Give them a ring and I'm sure they can get you setup with a nice end room, with a view of the courtyard pool area

zukracer:

Thanks for the post! I'm sure the Costa Mesa Marriott would have been a much better place to stay (instead of the zoo type conditions I experienced at the Anaheim Marriott) when I was in Southern CA (Angels-Red Sox games) and Long Beach (Grand Prix) last April.

I'll give this one a go next spring when I head out there. Thanks!

I am doing the best I can!

Stayed in Titusville, Fl and am headed to County Hall London this week-end.  Will have pictures!

Jerry:

Looking forward to your pictures and updated reports on the County Hall visit in London! I always enjoy your posts and I know you'll be looking as dapper as you did in the Paris pics!! How many times have you stayed there at County Hall?

Thanks for the post!

Tef,

I have stayed there 10 times and it is a very special and nice place.  They make arrangements to pick you up and deliver you to the airport.  Walking distance to a lot of nice places. 

If you ever decide to go, let me know so I can help save you time/money.  I am not a travel agent, just a traveller.

Jerry:

Thanks! I'll be taking you up on that offer!!

Enjoy the trip!

Tef,

Thanks for your kind comments!

Am in London, and are they great at County Hall!

Will have some pictures to share soon.  Hope all is well with you.

Looking forward to the report and the pictures!  All is great with us. Thanks for asking.

Have a great trip! Hope the weather is nice.

lairdma Platinum 1 Reviews

I am in Texarkana, TX....my 'home away from home'.  I just realized last night that I already have fulfilled most of the requirements to obtain Emeritus Platinum status.  I still need points and just discovered last night that with me staying at Town Place Suites, I only get 5 points/$ spent.  TP and Residence Inn's are both considered 'long term' so you get a lesser number of points per $, than if u stay in other Marriott properties.  It's sad, because the GM here is a really nice lady.  Plus, I will be getting a lower price per night....what a deal.

Location Brand Hotel
    Texarkana, Texas, USA TownePlace Suites By Marriott Protea Hotel Cape Castle Waterfront

I'm not sure why they give lesser points for the stays at TP and RI. We're still paying the bill!  Enjoy your stay!

• Insiders...Where are you?
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Thank you Mr. Phelps and glad I did not burn my hands on the recorder as it ignited!  Recent adventures have been to Chicago, and San Luis Obispo. Future travel is to NYC, Palm Desert and New Orleans.

SS:

In the Marriott Desert Springs, a timeshare or other hotel in Palm Desert? Which hotel in New Orleans do you like? We go there quite often.

Going to the Villages at Shadow Ridge.  I think we'll try the MSY Renaissance this time down there for location.

Good Morning, Tef.

We've always enjoyed getaways to New Orleans, but it seems like we actually go more often since Hurricane Katrina so that we can help their economy.

There are several wonderful Marriott properties in New Orleans.  We enjoy the Marriott Convention Center, the Marriott on Canal St., the Renaissance Pere Marquette, the Renaissance New Orleans Arts, and the Marriott Metairie Lakeway.  The rate offered by the hotel often determines our choice.

If we don't need to be near the quarter, we love the Marriott in Metairie.  We had a fabulous upgrade the last time we stayed there.  Our huge corner room had views of Lake Ponchatrain and downtown.  Platinum members receive breakfast vouchers on the week-end and free parking on the week-end. 

The Marriott Convention Center has also upgraded us to a suite several times.  We like to get a rate that includes breakfast because the restaurant is great.  Sometimes you can find street parking and avoid the parking charge.  The staff is wonderful. 

The Marriott on Canal has a wonderful concierge lounge with a view down Canal Street.  Of course, the food was great.  We were upgraded one time a couple of years ago to a corner room with a view of the Mighty Mississippi and the French Quarter.  I don't think that room is available for complimentary upgrades any longer.  The restaurant is excellent.  We like to get a rate that includes breakfast on the week-ends.

The Renaissance Pere Marquette is probably about the closest to the Superdome--or should I say the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.  (All of the hotels I mentioned except the one in Metairie are actually within walking distance of the French Quarter, CBD, and Superdome).  It is located one block off Canal.  We've even stayed in the Itty Bitty room for an Itty Bitty price without the hope of an upgrade.  That rate used to come with breakfast which meant they actually paid you to stay there.  The staff is very helpful.  Sometimes street parking is available.

We've only stayed at the Renaissance Arts one time for the Sugar Bowl.  They had the lowest rate in the city.  It was the first time we had paid over $200 for a room ($209), but it was a lovely stay.  The hotel is gorgeous with lots of ART.  The concierge lounge is quite good.

We have reservations coming up at the J. W. on Canal Street and the Courtyard on St. Charles.  We are looking forward to stays at those properties because it means the Razorbacks are playing in the Sugar Bowl again (however I'd really rather go somewhere else) and the SEC basketball tournament...only time will tell.  New Orleans will also host the National Championship in January.

We have also stayed at the Springhill Suites and Courtyard at the Convention Centers and enjoyed those locations.

Hope you can plan a trip soon.  This is a nice time of the year to visit.

Location Brand Hotel
        New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

razorbackfan:

I agree, this is an exciting city. Our first time there was for the Superbowl (1990 as a guest of the NFL! 49ers 55, Denver 10...loved it...a big Joe Montana and 49ers fan when my Patriots aren't in it) and had a wonderful time. Was glad I wasn't sitting in those seats up on the top level back wall as I thought I'd have a nosebleed......

We attended a convention and stayed at the Ritz Carlton on Canal but have never stayed at the other Marriott properties. We are in the process of discussing a return late fall/early winter so your insight on the Marriott properties there is very helpful!

Thanks for the update!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

My wife and I spent two nights at the Renaissance Arts Hotel in New Orleans a few years ago. We

• loved the hotel,
          • enjoyed a wonderful upgrade to a stunning, comfortable suite;
          • were bowled over by the restaurant in the hotel - shrimp & grits, lobster bisque - died and gone to heaven - I hate to admit that we enjoyed it so much, we went back the next day for lunch;
          • found the art courtyard interesting, and
          • were impressed by the chandelier....

Location Brand Hotel
          New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance New Orleans Arts Hotel

Sounds like a winner for our adventure! Thanks

Hi Razarbackfan - Thanks for the marvelous overview of Marriotts in New Orleans. I'm going there in February for the first time (attending an event that is honoring my late father) and will be at the Marriott on Canal Street. Fortunately I'll be there during the week so the CL will be open. Again, thanks for the report.

txperson Platinum

I am trying to decide between the Marriott on canal street ( not the JW) and the two Renaissance arts and renaissance pere. Any recommendations? I will be going on 12 /26 for 1 night.

We have enjoyed all of those Marriott properties.  I prefer the concierge lounge at the Canal St. location.  We've also enjoyed their restaurant for breakfast and dinner.  There are lots of restaurant choices within walking disance.  The Pere Marquette location is also nice.  You can walk to lots of dining and entertainment.  I don't ever remember the CL being open when we were there.  We only stayed at the Renaissance Arts once, but it was a great stay.  Their CL had some great food.  Our room was huge.  The hotels may still have their holiday (HOL) rates available. 

A ride on the streetcar down St. Charles Ave. is always beautiful during the holiday.  Christmas in the Oaks (City Park) is beautiful.

Do you need to be close to any specific location? 

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Hi ... I've only stayed in the JW, so cannot advise on the other hotels.  However, if you fancy a great ding experience, try the Court of the Two Sisters in the French Quarter ... mega!

http://www.courtoftwosisters.com/

spurfan Platinum

The Marriott in Palm Desert is the JW Marriott Desert Springs.  It is surrounded by timeshares - Desert Springs Villas 1 & 2.  The Villas timeshares, especially Villas I, are fantastic.  Villas II is OK, too, rooms are just a lot smaller.  The JW Marriott Desert Springs has one of the best lobbies of all Marriotts including a boat dock for transporation to other parts of the hotel.   Unfortunately, they closed Tuscany, a great Italian restuarant, a year or so ago.  But, they have a great Japanese restaurant, Mikado, on site.  Marriott's Shadow Ridge, another timeshare development, is nearby.

spurfan:

Are you there now? It is a great resort. Are the birds still in their cages in the lobby? I am a timeshare owner at Desert Springs Villas. I like them much better than Shadow Ridge. We were at Shadow Ridge a week ago and were disappointed in our stay....our first time there and away from Desert Springs Villas. What a mistake. We live and learn.......

spurfan Platinum

We are not there now, but I can tell you that the birds are still in their cages.  We usually go toward the end of the year/first of the new year.  Great resort, no question.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Just got back less than 2 hours ago from Switzerland.

Spent 3 nights at the Zurich Marriott.. my room was fairly small but had a great view.  The CL was terrific!

Also spent 3 nights at the Luzern Ren.  My room was what I'd call a very small Jr. Suite... it had a small room with a couch, arm chair and coffee table (along with the closet, minibar, etc) with the bedroom being separate.  No CL but breakfast is included for Reward stays in the dining room.  Cooked to order Eggs Benedict, fried eggs, etc. are included along with the buffet bar.  My room view was of the Pilatusstrasse, a street filled with shopping and restaurants.  Only about 2 blocks from the Chapel Bridge.

The other locations I visited didn't have any Marriott properties:  Interlaken, Montreux, Evian les Bains, and Geneva.

I'll post some pics when I can. 

We love Switzerland and the beautiful views. Have never stayed at these locations so I am glad you have posted! We'll have to try them out. It's so neat to be getting responses from and about some good places we haven't been to!

Did you ride the Jungfrau railway up the mountain while there???

Thanks so much for the good post! Glad to hear your Marriott experience was a good one.

It has been about 25 years since I've been in Switzerland, but it is on our bucket list for a return visit (but probably not on bicycles!).  Some of my most vivid memories (which have faded with time-Ha) are of the ride on the Jungfrau railway and visiting the ice cave.  We had been riding in Germany and a fellow tourist recommended this train ride.  We were delighted to add it to our trip.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

No, I know I should be ashamed of myself, but I didn't go up to Jungfrou.  I did have an excellent view of it from my hotel room's balcony.   I am terribly afraid of heights.  Had a bad enough time going up to Wengen on the little cog-wheel train with the open windows! 

After that I drove the Jaunpasse (4951 feet) of switchback roads by myself!  Boy, did I need a glass of wine (or two) after that!

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

Spent 1 night at the CY Century City/Beverly Hills to visit our son at UCLA as this is the closest Marriott brand to the campus.  It's an odd little CY with just 4 floors (Lobby on lower parking level, restaurant on 1st floor) and smaller rooms, but the service is great, including quick, friendly valet parking.   They gave me the Platinum bonus points gift, AND let me choose an item from their little shop, AND there was a small goody bag with snacks and 2 more bottles of water waiting in my room!  

The next closest to UCLA is the RI Beverly Hills, also a good choice, with the free breakfast, but rates were a bit higher, and parking a bit more ($25/night vs. $17).