1 2 3 7 Previous Next 102 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2017 11:09 AM by zukracer RSS

Insiders...Where are you?

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I haven't seen many posts lately talking about stays at Marriott Hotels or Resorts. Where is everyone? Would like to hear about those visits! I know the markets are in total freefall and the economy is in tatters, but someone has to be traveling.....

Your assignment, should you choose to accept it..is to post about those travels and stays at Marriott or wherever. Doesn't matter where it is/was...let's hear about it!

Let's get back to the discussions that brought us all here!

Of course, this message will self destruct (meaning, it will move to page 18 on the Browse Board never to be seen again) if you don't respond!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Dallas, Texas, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Dallas Hotel
Texarkana, Texas, USA TownePlace Suites By Marriott Protea Hotel Cape Castle Waterfront
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance New Orleans Arts Hotel
Los Angeles, California, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Los Angeles Century City/Beverly Hills
Los Angeles, California, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Beverly Hills
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Charlottesville North
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Charlottesville - University Medical Center
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Charlottesville
Denver, Colorado, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Denver Marriott City Center
Titusville, Florida, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Titusville Kennedy Space Center
  • 1. Re: Insiders...Where are you?
    nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Tef6178 - I've recently stayed at the Marriott Eastside in New York and the Renaissance Vinoy in St. Petersburg, Florida. Both provided really excellent experiences. The Marriott Eastside upgraded me to a mini-suite which was especially appreciated, while the Vinoy provided its usual superb level of service.

The Vinoy is truly in a league of of its own. A classic hotel, it's employees are universally professional, and they remember you from stay-to-stay. Whenever Brenda and I check in, we are greeted by name, and a "It's great to see you again" comment. Yes, we have stayed there a lot, but it's still nice to be recognized.

This summer, I was at the Glasgow, Scotland, Marriott. Their concierge lounge was excellent - quiet, with things like kippers for breakfast! They also had the Financial Times which was a real pleasure.

I hope that others post as well to keep this discussion on the front page of the Browse Board!

nhtraveler

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: Insiders...Where are you?
    razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I choose to accept the assignment.

We just spent 3 nights at the category 4 Dallas Renaissance Hotel.  I had high expectations after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor and they were met.  Our check-in was efficient.  When I asked about the possibility of an upgrade I was told that an upgrade to a suite would be available for the first night, but not the next two nights.  We decided we did not want to change rooms.  I had requested a room on a high floor facing the Dallas skyline and my request was fulfilled.  The night view of downtown Dallas was beautiful. The hotel is shaped like a football and it appeared that the rooms near the center of the building might be larger; our room was the next to last room on the end and we had plently of room.  The bathroom was small and included a tub/shower, vanity with sink, and toilet.  There was also a vanity with a sink outside of the bathroom.  The Aveda products are nice.  There was a mini-fridge, safe, and coffee/tea maker in the room.   The television is a 37" flat screen. There was traffic all night long along 35E, but there was little real traffic noise.  Parking was complimentary.  There was a charge for valet parking.

Our AAA rate included breakfast in the restaurant Asador.  The selections included scrambled eggs, eggs with bacon/peppers/onions/cheese, made to order omelets, pancakes or French toast, grits, oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, and a great selection of fresh fruit.  Of course, the pineapple at Marriott properties is always really good.  Beverages were included.  I think the breakfast buffet was $19.95 if your rate did not include it.

We checked out the Club Lounge on Friday morning, but decided to eat in the restaurant.  I asked if platinum members were given breakfast vouchers on the week-end when the lounge was closed and was told yes. We did use the computer/printer in the lounge to print directions to a couple of restaurants (that we had seen featured on the Food Network), but when we had problems with the printer we asked at the front desk and they graciously printed the maps for us.

The pool, whirlpool, and fitness room are located on the roof.  We went to check out the view; however, you cannot see over the concrete wall.  The pool looks like a lap pool.

Check-out took a few extra minutes because I was using a gift card and had to wait for the desk manager.  She apoligized profusely for the wait (couldn't have been more than 5 minutes).  We will choose this hotel in the future when we return to Dallas.

Location Brand Hotel
    Dallas, Texas, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Dallas Hotel
  • 3. Re: Insiders...Where are you?
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

as mentioned on another post (no telling where/if it ever showed), I just spent 4 nights at the Marriott Long Wharf in Boston.  Other than the $44 a day parking, the stay was wonderful.  The Concierge was most helpful for trips as well as for dining ideas.  The rooms were on the small side, but very clean and quiet.  The Concierge lounge was well-equipped with all the trappings you would expect, and its hours of operation were extended and ran throughout the weekend.  I cannot say enough about this place.  Also, the location is perfect for exploring the city and all it has to offer.  I highly recommend it!

• 4. Re: Insiders...Where are you?
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

My wife and I spent this past weekend at private accommodations...felt like home.  Actually it was. We were the only guests. Children are all grown and gone! And after being gone all last week visiting relatives down South, we were glad to be home.  Ate breakfast in our own kitchen...grits, whole hog sausage, toast and piping hot coffee.  For supper, we ate out...on the deck that is.  Grilled two prime rib eye steaks with the normal trimmings we enjoy; salad and baked potato.  Then of course, later in the evening, we watched as 22 of our closest friends got the shinola beat out of them on both sides of the ball.  On Sunday, we mourned for their health and welfare, both mentally and physically, and last night we held our own wake, American style, with lots of American beer.  This upcoming weekend will find us among our own kind, 80 some odd thousand of husker nation die-hards, as we attempt to redeem our honor.  During this whole month (Oct) I will actually only spend two (2) nights in a hotel.  Life is good.

• 5. Re: Insiders...Where are you?
    zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

The summer has been quiet for me but is picking up again.  Most recently I was in Jacksonville FL at a Courtyard property.  It has the updated lobby and the staff are nice enough.  The hotel seems newer so the rooms were nice and I got an upgrade to a suite which just made it that much better.  I had been at the full service Marriott across the road the week prior and cant really say too much positive about it except it was just like any other full service Marriott.  The CL lounge was ok but the same food day after day really gets old.  And by same food I honestly think the same cookies and brownies were on the plate for 3 days in a row...or they took great care in making sure the plate had the same 3 cookies and 2 brownies every night .  I must have been there during a convention or something because the lounge was literally packed with people a few times and it made for a less pleasurable stay.  I would definitely recommend the Courtyard over the full service if you are in southern JAX.

Otherwise, lets see Dallas Tx at a nice Residence Inn in Plano.  Then there was a few nights in Orange County CA back at the hotel I had been at for most of the first part of the year.  Aside from 2x a month down to Jacksonville FL for the rest of the year I'm not sure what else is on tap for the year, hoping for another trip to the UK and maybe AMS towards the holidays.

• 6. Re: Insiders...Where are you?
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Hey Husker

thought about you as the wife and I watched that shellacking last saturday evening....  I guess that was your welcome to the Big 10.  I hope this week brings better results.

• 7. Re: Insiders...Where are you?
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Thanks, shoeman

• 8. Re: Insiders...Where are you?

nhtraveler:

Thanks for the post. Michelle and I stay at the Marriott Eastside every time we go to NYC. It is the best hotel. We have always been treated exceptionally well and also receive the mini upgrade. How did you like the CL? Were you able to go outside and enjoy breakfast from the 16th floor? Had they finished the bar/restaurant renovations when you went there? The Vinoy I have never been to. We have neighbors who go there for Christmas and invite us every year, but we have family (Michelle's sister) who live just outside Tampa Bay. Our neighbors absolutely love the place. Always talking about Room 214, whatever that is, but claim it to be the best room in the hotel.

Again, thanks for the post!

• 9. Re: Insiders...Where are you?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

I am doing the best I can!

Stayed in Titusville, Fl and am headed to County Hall London this week-end.  Will have pictures!

• 10. Re: Insiders...Where are you?

razorbackfan:

The Dallas Renaissance sounds like a great hotel. Shaped like a football? Wow! I really like the recognition of your status with the weekend breakfast vouchers and the high room with the view! We'd really like that. Their helpful attentiveness to needs is a nice touch. I'll have to try this hotel next year when I go to Dallas.

Thanks for the post....now I have a new place to look forward to!

• 11. Re: Insiders...Where are you?

Shoeman:

Having lived in Boston, I only got to be at the Marriott Long Wharf when business took me there. Every time I went, I thought the place was great! My best remembrance is one time I was there for an Association Convention and, as President of the Association, I got to introduce our featured speaker for the evening...former Celtic great Tommy Heinsohn. All I can say was...he was huge in height, size and stature. Didn't get a lot of time to speak with him....but after the banquet a few of us were having drinks...and Heisohn walks over to our table and asks if we would mind if he joined us. He talked our ears off for the next few hours and what stories he told about his days in professional basketball and television as a color commentator! When we left, he picked up the tab...saying he wouldn't have it any other way. Quite a night.

Thanks for the post!

• 12. Re: Insiders...Where are you?

nuhusker:

I like the menu! Sorry about the team....I'll be rooting for a better result next game. Amazing, you have the same taste in food as we do..........had Ribeyes with salad and baked potato Monday night on our return from the west coast! We had it on the deck too! Passed on the beer that night though...went for the high test stuff!

Thanks for the post!

• 13. Re: Insiders...Where are you?

zukracer:

I hope they at least saran wrapped the cookies and brownies in between the nights they put them out!

What hotel were you in when out in Orange County? Going there next year in Sepember for the IndyCar race and will stay at least a couple of nights in Orange County so could use a good recommendation.

Thanks for the post!

• 14. Re: Insiders...Where are you?

Jerry:

Looking forward to your pictures and updated reports on the County Hall visit in London! I always enjoy your posts and I know you'll be looking as dapper as you did in the Paris pics!! How many times have you stayed there at County Hall?

Thanks for the post!

1 2 3 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...