12 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2011 4:44 PM by anadyr RSS

Front desk calling room

tgc2003 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I received a strange call from the front desk at the Fairfield I was staying at 1:05am asking if my room keys worked properly (I had checked in 50 minutes prior).  She also verfied my room number.  Does it seem odd to anyone else that the front desk would call after 1am, and also have to verify the room number they just called?  Would I not have called or gone back to the front desk earlier than 50 minutes subsequent to when I checked in had my keys not worked?  Has anyone ever had this happen?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Front desk calling room
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

No, this is vey strange. I hope you claifry this with the Fairfield and give us an update..Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Sounds like a serious scam and security issue to me.  Please report this to Marriott and if you have the name of the Associate calling tell them that as well.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

If this were to happen to me, I would first hang up. I would then call the front desk and see if they had called. If they have a call tracking system they might get lucky with the caller ID. I would never suggest or offer to anybody any type of information as to what room or even hotel I was in.

If the call was legit, I would be sitting with the GM the next day to see why associates were calling rooms at 1:05 AM for any reason other than an evacuation for an imminent disaster of some type.

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

I agree with all the concerns raised. I would have hung up and then immediately called the front desk to verify that it was a legitimate call. Since you hadn't gone back down to the front desk to get new keys, it should have been obvious to them that they worked.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Sometimes the front desk prepares for an arrival by pre-loading room keys and putting them in the paper jackets, especially when getting close to doing the night audit (makes sense at 1:00 am). Sometimes keys can accidentally get jumbled and mixed up with the wrong jacket. I suspect someone else checked in about 45 minutes after you with the wrong set of keys in their room-numbered jacket. The front desk was probably validating that you had the correct keys and room number to eliminate your set of keys from the mix-up. Here's hoping this was the reason and not some other devious purpose.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Pingreeman has a good point.  Can you let us know how this turns out?  Never happened to me.

• Front desk calling room
    tgc2003 Gold 60 Reviews

I was flustered/caught off guard with the call after working/driving 16+ hours at that point (and it being 1am), that I did not have the common sense to call the front desk back until a few minutes later.  I got no answer after 10+ rings so I just hung up and went to bed.  Perhaps they had left the desk for the 1am audit mentioned above?  Completely forgot to ask about it at the front desk in the morning, and I just returned from my trip late last night.  I will try to call the hotel manager back today and see if that helps explain the situation.  Thanks for all your suggestions/comments.  I will post an update soon!

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I've had them call up after 10-15mins to make sure I've made it in and the room was ok but they greeted me by name and never inquired what room I was in.  Sounds fishy but hopefully no harm comes from your call (except for the hour).  I also have had the room service folks call up to make sure I didnt need anything else or if the food was good.  None of that has ever happened in years before I was plat. prem.  so I chalked it up to status but perhaps its now becoming more of a wide spread thing?  I think its good to follow up with guests, never know what someone might deal with and complain about later that could be solved in 5mins with a quick call.

tgc2003 Gold 4 Reviews

Just called the Fairfield, and the manager is going to look into the issue, but it sounds like the front desk associate was new and there may have been a mix up with someone elses keys and she wanted to confirm that mine worked as well.  She should not have called 50 minutes after check in - 5 or 10 minutes, maybe -  but I got a credit of 2,500 points, so I am happy.  Just to be clear, I never offered my room number, the desk associate stated "you are in room ###, correct?  I was only at that hotel one night and noticed nothing else out of the ordinary.  I don't think there was anything fishy going on, just inexperience. 

Marriott's phone system allows an Associate to see who is calling and in what room, as well as to verify rooms versus names.  I think that this was a scam, and although it might have been a key issue as Pingreeman said, the chances are that it was more than that.

One other thing:  in larger hotels security often roams the halls of all floors looking for opened or partially open doors. One evening at 2 am we were awakened by what we thought was someone pulling on our room's door when in fact it was security pulling the door fully shut!  I verified the next day with the GM that the rounds for the security officer included out floor (they have a small button they need to touch to prove they were there at that time) and that this was the rationale.  We were offered compensation, which we declined, feeling it was better to be safe than sorry.  Now I lean on the door to ensure it's closed tightly before heading to bed!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I always lock both the door lock with a turn and the catchbolt/bar piece that comes across the top before we retire for the night.

As do I now.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...