Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 11, 2012 12:16 AM by annmarie1962 RSS

Participation Meter Thresholds

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I wonder what the threshholds are to achieve higher status? Stepping Stones is shown as a Super Star while I am a lowly Novice. I understand that there is a leverl even higher that Super Star.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Iselin, New Jersey, USA
  • Re: Participation Meter Thresholds
    pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Not sure, but here is what I think the different levels are (based on browsing the members):

Newbie: 0 - 10

Rookie: 0-89 11 - 89

Novice: 90 - 299

Apprentice: 300 - 899

Rock Star: 900 - 1999? (recently achieved by NUHUSKER who was an "Apprentice" a week ago when <900)

Super Star: 2000+

Unless the icon changes drastically, a Super Star has populated all the "bars" suggesting this is the highest posting status:

Changes made based on ssindc's reply that there is a "Newbie" meter.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Seems like 800 is the breaking point for Rock Star?

And I just noticed that JerryCoin has over 2000 posts and, to date, has not been given the Super Star rating?

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

It appears that folks start as NEWBIE before they rise to the lofty status of ROOKIE.

Dunno about you folks, but I've mentioned to the MR folks that, uh, gee, maybe it's not a good idea to impose pejorative or what may perceived as insulting labels on customers.  How many of you would return to Marriott if, the first hundred times you stayed at a Marriott property, when you checked in, the desk attendant greeted you with a robust: Welcome, Newbie or maybe a cheery Hey, Rookie! .... It may be cute, but it's not worth the candle.  Did it ever cross anyone's mind that the kind of people that Marriott most wants to stay in their most expensive hotels don't like to be referred to that way?!?!?!?! 

Not to belabor the point, but - if you're a Lifetime Platinum Premier (of a certain age) - would you expect, the first time you participate in this forum, to be referred to as anything other than a valued (and respected) customer????  I just don't get it....

annmarie1962 Member 42 Reviews

Unfortunately I worked hard my entire life, and got lung disease and lupus and R.A, but while I could on my horrible disability I wanted to take my daughter to Boston to check out colleges and I love the Marriott's.  So we went at the end of July so we could have the pool, etc.  Well the pool was disgusting, and no one used it and I stayed 6 days.  The highway was my view.  I couldn't stay in Boston Mass as that was where I asked to be where all her schools were but they said they put you here because you don't have money.  Which was fine.  We loved learning about Boston.  Weren't happy with the Marriott where we were.  Then when I called to find out if I had a day the guy said You only stayed 6 nights.  So Marriott how long? How many nights do we have to stay to accumulate a night?  I guess you only want the wealthy.  So to run a contest like this is insulting that you would call someone a rookie or newbie, its completely DISTASTEFUL! i have been in business my entire life and whoever thought of this should be fired.

Location Brand Hotel
      Iselin, New Jersey, USA
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Some people like the idea of ranking. It motivates them to rise to the top. Others really don't care. For those that get a kick out of seeing their name rise and rise, go for it. Everyone needs mindless fun once and a while. Folks that get upset are probably wound a bit tight, shall we say?

PainedPlatinum is spot on....  But even if we all agree that the folks who get upset are wound a bit tight, do we think it's a good idea for MR to risk offending the "tightly wound" community? Who knows?  Maybe it'll make for more pleasant experiences in the Concierge Lounges?  Maybe it'll result in more suites being available for upgrade in the expensive urban hotels.  There's an upside to everything!

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Let's face it Insiders - I'm not sure I want to risk being in a registration line next to a "tightly wound" Platinum "newbie!" Check in can be hectic enough without that!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Good luck!

It may take some time, but go for it!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Excellent question jasper100! We'll update the FAQ, what is my participation meter, with the breakdown of all nine threshold levels. 

I understand where you're coming from with the names like newbie, rookie, etc. But the participation meter has no correlation with an Insider's Elite status and is instead a visual representation of activity within the Community. So for example, a new Marriott Rewards member could climb through the participation levels as a great contributor, while the opposite could also be true. A lifetime Platinum Premier member that is an infrequent contributor would take longer to climb these participation levels. There's no rush here or reason to artificially inflate your participation meter. There is a separate badge that represents your actual Elite status on your individual profile page.

CommunityManager - thanks for weighing in on the names like newbie, rookie, etc...  I'm basically done with this issue, but I'm fascinated by your perspective.  Moreover, I'd be curious to hear whether anyone in Marriott's executive suite (or management suite) agrees with you.

(I'm sorry to sound grumpy - really, I am.) But let me be clear, you do not understand where I'm coming from (and, heck I was just offering a gratuitous opinion in the spirit of helping, and now I'm sorry I tried)....  Your response is a classic techie answer, totally divorced from a hotel customer service perspective. 

So let me try again.  Why would Marriott ever - in any way - risk insulting a customer (whether a new customer or a valued customer)? Unless you believe - and, frankly, if you do believe this, you're wrong - that no one, ever could possibly be insulted by being called a rookie, you're missing the point. 

Let me try again: assume you're a frequent Marriott traveler or a first-time Marriott guest, and you decide to eat in a nice Marriott hotel restaurant for the first time.  Would you like your bill to say, Hey, Rookie! Thanks for visiting???  Sorry, that would be a bad business approach.  That's all I'm trying to communicate.

Here's my final attempt here.  Do you really believe that the kind of people that stay in the most expensive rooms (suites) in the most expensive hotels in the Marriott inventory - instead of working road warriors, think, I dunno, independently wealthy people over 60 - would react well to being called a Rookie in any context?  So, why risk the chance that - the first time they log onto Insiders - they're insulted, and they either don't come back or choose to do business with someone else?

Again, I'm done with the topic.  Thanks for responding.  Good luck with you efforts to improve the community.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...