10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2014 8:27 AM by arkwright RSS

What if....

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

What if you created a blog (I did) on the new Insiders and nobody read it or commented?  Or you made a poll and very few people responded with votes?  (I did)That is the heart of the matter, the problem with this new site:  no one does much but send comments or respond to comments, mostly non-travel related ones, and these other features are left dangling.  Lots of noise, little light.

Reminds me of the luxury car that I once rented that had so many totally useless gadgets so I did not even try to use them. Gave it back the and settled for something simpler.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What if....
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Seems to me that in the case of this site the majority preference is to have the old one (version 2) back. In the case of version 2 the majority  preference was to have the old one back (version 1).

Remember the old....'if it ain't broke.....'

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I think a LOT has to do with how this site requires a person to navigate.

By default, when a person does a Browse, it is set to ALL (on left) and All Content (at the top) and Sort By Latest Activity (descending) (at top-right). Because of the amount of activity that can happen between visits, it is almost a requirement to independently select the Blog Posts, Documents, Discussions, and Polls separately or these items get buried deep within the All Content. If doing a poll, it is also recommended to use the additional filtering.

Browse - All Content.gif

Thanks but this proves to me that there are too many steps to get anywhere and most Insiders will give up before getting to the real heart of the matter=travel tips

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Once again, steppingstones, thank you for your observations that are right on the money.

nhtraveler

Thanks,  I appreciate the feedback, NHtraveler.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

"most Insiders will give up before getting to the heart of the real matter=travel tips"

Dead on. I think we're seeing that play out with the lack of viewers.

erc Platinum

I came upon (a midnight clear ) this three year old post in the More Like This column the other day and quickly read through it. Sure enough, between sign in issues, search issues, thread clogging contests, and rewards tightening, we've seen a significant drop in participation and viewership.

Anadyr*** has left us (which by itself knocks out several interesting, mind expanding posts a week), nhtraveler hasn't been heard from in awhile, pingreeman, still contributing the occasional analytical insight, has been ground down by the lack of recognition of decades of loyalty, and tef occasionally drops in with us (often responding when I threaten to visit him ), all representing significant loss in helpful insights (and the multiplier effect of participation).

Whether it's site technical issues, contributor fatigue, the loss of reciprocal loyalties, or Marriott's (understandable, but frustrating to us) multi-pronged approach toward the various social media, with heavy emphasis on their new target audience, Insiders remains a diamond in the rough, needing to be polished and supported.

The community manager and her team are throwing all they've got at the problem, but it appears to be a race against time. Participation begets participation, a virtuous circle vs. a vicious cycle. If we want to avoid being a forum posting more than our MegaBonuses or upgrades, we will need a good turn of fortune in the future.

Reviewing recent archives of posts, I found about 50 that requested help to specific travel or rewards program challenges. Even with our thinning current base of contributors, they received succinct, on the nose, answers (unfortunately, over half the time, the OP never acknowledged receipt), proving once again, what a valuable tool in our travel plans this forum can represent.

Here's to a thriving Insiders for 2015.   

***Don't forget folks. Our exclusive, Insiders only New Year's Eve contest. Win an autographed (previously read) copy of Anadyr's latest novel, Scatteree - set your alarm clocks and look for the post (disqualified if you ask what day the New Year's Eve contest is ). 

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

ERC,

Perhaps this is an appropriate time to put on record my thanks to all those who work so hard to sustain this site.

Many of the challenges they face are listed in your Para 4: Anadyr mentions others. In addition, I sense that there are two fault lines running through the Site which significantly limit its actual usage, still less potential growth. The first is that so much of the traffic through the Site is not "repeat business". Inputs/questions represent an essentially short-term, instrumental interest: even if answered, they are unlikely to promote a sustained involvement. The second - more difficult to articulate ( and likely to get me blackballed) -  is that the potential take-up of the Site's opportunities/services necessarily reflects the definition of Marriott's core marketplace: the USA.  That is not to say that none move outside this sphere of interest - this Site offers clear examples to the contrary - but it is to suggest that the majority don't. The result is that the extent to which " outsiders" (in the non-perjorative sense of the term) find that the scope for active involvement is restricted.

Be all that as it may, I still greatly value the Site for what it continues to offer: a "broad church community" to learn from and interact with.

A

erc Platinum
        Thank you for the response. The challenge remains how to increase participation (which once it gets going feeds on itself). I'm all for a broader, worldwide forum. As much as I'm more likely to visit Venice Beach, Ca. for the 10th time before heading over to Venice, Italy, I still enjoy reading profchiara's and others experiences.

By the way, everyone, during the Insiders viewership holiday doldrums, please take a moment to read through some of arkwright's superb blogs found in his Content - some of my favorites, and there are many to choose from, all across Europe and Asia, (easily equaling the best of Rick Steves) are;

Hong Kong coupled with madmax's photos a great combo
          Scotland:Edinburgh and Glasgow
        - whisky or whiskey, my guideline; countries with 'e' drink whiskey countries without, drink whisky, so when a Brit writes about Scottish whisky, it's interesting; and
           Vienna Austria - a big Orson Welles fan, I enjoyed reading about Harry Lime, The Third Man, and comparisons between now and then

I occasionally read on FlyerTalk about Canadian or UK credit card or other program issues and favor those topics being discussed on Insiders, since I fall into the read what interests you category of Insider.

Similar to the repeated frustrations many of us experience over issues like MegaBonus efficacy, I often grow frustrated over Marriott's apparent lack of interest in attracting Millennial attention to this forum, since Millennials seem to be the engine that drives the train. Perhaps they are waiting to weed out all of us and then start anew, with no doubt, Insiders, a Millennial Travel Forum, "a result of our Travel Brilliantly campaign".

postscript - fighting off a cold/cough (a result of the guy behind me on the plane sneezing 16 times) I've had time to scroll through the archives and am reminded what great stuff is there (including this year), once more highlighting the tremendous potential the forum has.

Also zukracer - you are right, there are moderating gremlins in the machine - I re-read a reply of mine about wine, the cork fungus, and the increased usage by good wines of screwcaps (similar to beer can technology, both being greatly improved) and the word was changed to  *****caps! (let's see if they do it again)

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

ERC,

Many thanks for the generous reference.

Hope the bug clears quickly.

A

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...