Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2011 11:48 PM by NathalieF RSS

What is Marriott's "Goal" with this website?

columbussig Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

As an occasional poster for the past couple of years, many of you know I have sometimes voiced my concern about the lack of follow-up or true response from anyone at Marriott regarding the issues and concerns that are brought up in this sort of media.

Now, Marriott has launched this new site and is trying to drive membership through "Scavenger Hunts" and turn this almost into a Facebook environment. 

So my question is was the goal for Marriott just to have a slick and techie portal for members to communicate with each other?

Did Marriott increase the stafff to monitor the posts and respond as necessary?  or will many questions go unanswered as previously.

Versel and Prof do a good job of answering general questions but often times, they can't answer and support the concerns of the true "Platinum" member that just linger out there for months just to be brought up over and over again never resolved.

If Marriott wants to be innovative you should look to utilize your partners and combine websites.   I for one have tough enough time keeping track of all the points, reservation #'s, etc.

Just my thought!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What is Marriott's "Goal" with this website?
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Welcome to the new social media world...In my humble opinion, Marriott is trying to bring in the old site agenda and updating it to encompass the new social media agenda. This does not address your concerns about Marriott not responding to insiders, but I don't think that was ever a main objective of Marriott. They have always indicated that it was a site where insiders could share their experiences together. Having said that, there have been times where Marriott has responded to insider concerns, but like you have indicated, it is not all that often..Again, only one mans opinion..I will be interested in others views on this topic.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

columbussig,

(Edited from an earlier post I made, but relevant to this discussion)

My question is can Andy, the community manager, manage to keep up with all of these posts?  Does Marriott need to think about investing in additional "community managers"?  If they truly want the Insiders site to prosper they need to ensure comments and concerns are being addresses.  I am not attacking Andy for not doing so, only suggesting at some point it becomes impossible for him to monitor the site for discussions 24/7.

Andy, can we develop a formal mechanism - either sharing posts with you or establishing a new Discussion topic which can be a central place to post feedback / concerns?  A central place that Marriott can committ to checking and responding to?

This site could be a cost saver for Marriott in the future if they respond to questions regularly.  For better or worse, the world is moving more online and Marriott could forseably reduce customer care phone staff if questions / concerns could be answered through the MRI site.  I for one would be willing to post online rather than call if I knew I could get a reliable response.  I am not saying they should go this route, only that they could.

Just my opinion.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

With all due respect for the thought process as envisioned, it is implausible that Marriott could use this site as a cost reducer. With the customer base in the multi millions and the posters to this site in the less than 100 category, Marriott could never look at this as an impact site that would be used as a 'catch all' to respond to customer concerns/questions/complaints, etc. The math of participation vs. customer base just doesn't work. While I agree that online is the wave of the future, it's not even close to being a measuring stick on this site.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

tef,

I am thinking 5-10-15 years down the road.  I work on a college campus and the next generation of both business and leisure traveler is one that avoids communicating by phone or in person, online communication is preferred. I definately don't think this site will ever be a "catch all", but already other businesses when I call their customer service number, while on hold they have an automated voice try to convince me to go to their website for an answer to my question, therefore cutting down on customer service call volume. 

I agree with you on the math of participation vs. customer base, but wonder if one of the goals with the new site (which includes facebook and twitter like features) is to not capture the next generation of travelers 5, 10 years out.  I am not suggesting this site will ever eliminate customer service call centers, but could see it as a plausible alternate for a generation that is online 24/7.

Again, just my opinion.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

JK - I participated in the "FaceBook" interview and you are spot-on with the direction Marriott is taking, and that is to drive the "younger generation" to its web sites ans services (ultimately to generate revenues). Research has shown that if you can establish a brand early enough in a person's career, you are likely to retain the customer for decades. Just look at all the Camel cigarette ads targeted at younger folks.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I agree 1000% that Marriott's directive is to make this more facebook friendly and capture the 'younger generation'. I have posted that their idea is to create that 'new' revenue stream early on. However, I will continue to believe that unless this site gets cleaned up to remove how cumbersome it is, they will never keep the interest of the 'techies' and their 'I'm tired of this format' thought process will take over.

Just my opinion....

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Agreed. I am not a member of the younger generation and would have preferred a less techie site. Paradoxically, the premise of this site is to share Marriott-related information; normally that comes from "seasoned" MR members. What this site is doing is driving away the experienced Marriott traveler who would like a less cumbersome, less technological, less FaceBook styled site which is counter-productive to the purpose.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

The Marriott site has really proved to help me in my travels!  I enjoy reading and learning from actual travelers vrs. what you may read about in travel magazines.  A great service even though I am not computer savvy!

• What is Marriott's "Goal" with this website?
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Traxo.com

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greeting Insiders, Although the community is now built on a newer more dynamic platform, the community is still "devoted to exploring the experience of travel" and we welcome everyone to contribute to the conversation. We're excited to soon have five new The specified item was not found. teaming up with Versel to help drive participation throughout the site and answer questions from other members so the site remains a unique resource of travel and Marriott Rewards information for members of all ages.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links