17 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2012 11:06 PM by lone6star RSS

Can we influence Point Savers?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I love saving, money, points, coins, you name it. Now, I'm not talking about hoarding, just saving. The point savers is a great way to keep some of those valuable points in your account to be used on another day. Unfortunately, when I get ready to plan, the list of locations offering the program are few are far between. Even the ones participating often limit the timeframe and/or room allotments. Good program, frustrating redemption.

The frustrating part is the point here. As a marketing idea, point savers pulls you in. Just what it should do...but not being able to book a room can lead to a very negative experience. ( See "No Blackout Dates").

The question of the day....Can the heavy user ( us Elite members), help properties use up the excess rooms at a greatly reduced rate to allow all stake holders to benefit? The corp, employees, and guests all benefit when rooms are used versus sit empty.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Can we influence Point Savers?
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Not that I am aware of..I think the program is at the total discretion of Marriott.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I was thinking along the lines of last minute weekend type rate that the company employs today. Why not apply the point savers program in the same way. For those out there with less rigid schedules, last minute adventures can spice things up!!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Marriotts current probram does give last minute weekend type rates but have not applied the point savers program in the same way and doubt that they will..But you can recommend it to the Marriott but from my experience they are not easy to change their ways..Good Luck!!!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

painedplatinum:

Years ago, Eastern Airlines used to offer, every Tuesday, last minute getaway fares for the following weekend. They were tremendous generators for Eastern to fill empty seats. in addition, they had 'suggested hotels' that would participate with them to complete the 'getaway experience'. It was a great idea that worked very well. I participated in those weekends and would travel from Boston to LA, FL, San Francisco, Colorado, and more. What you are saying about doing a 'reduced point rate' for a short term getaway is a wonderful idea. I do believe Marriott participated in those Eastern getaways (I'm talking back in the early 80's I think) and why they wouldn't want to offer special getaway weekends or short term getaways in general to fill unused rooms is something I don't understand. I think a lot of people would participate.

Great suggestion!

I still like the idea of last minute Point Saver rates....Marriott would see me (and my money) more often if they put this out there.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

There is an e-mail that goes out every Thursday I believe of "great weekend" rates at select Marriott's across the country.  I once used it in NYC.  Instead of paying 249 a night, I paid 79 a night!

I get the weekend specials, also... They feature great cash rates.... I'd love it if it included a few point savers, too.

jep2020 Gold 1 Reviews

Hi

Often it takes a year of planning and coordination to set up a vacation. It would not sit well to find out that the guy next door got a reservation the week before for a fraction of the points.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

How do you use the Point Saver feature, Pained?  I've read about it, but have never tried as I haven't seen any information on how to use it.  A 'Using the Point Saver Feature' would make a good discussion, if you would have the time to do a blurb on it.

Thanks.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I found it, Pained.  I'll browse discussions here and see if a new discussion is even needed.

Thanks.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

there's a link in one of the other discussions somewhere.

I'm sure you found it but, on ocassion, hotels will offer point stays for a discount... so a 100,000 regular point stay may be had for 80,000 as an example. We've taken advantage of these when ever possible. Hotels can be tricky, though.... sometimes they're listed as offering the point savers during a specific period of dates. You can go day by day, during the period, and never hit on a date that will pan out. 

It's a great way to stretch out your points. All parties benefit.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...