20 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2012 7:42 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Gift cheques

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

If you have used gift cheques, what is the greatest benefit?  I have never used points to buy one and don't know much about them.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Gift cheques
    naiken Platinum

I use gift cheques when staying at the Marriott Resorts.  After I book my vacation I redeem points for the gift cheques to pay for my incidentals for the week (ie. food, drinks, etc.).  I use points first for the air + hotel package and then more points for the cheques and it makes a week at a Marriott resort VERY inexpensive.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

floridatravels Platinum 9 Reviews

i use Marriott cheques quite a bit.  i have calculated that it takes 135 points for each dollar in a gift checque.  So I compare using points vs using my cheques to pay for rooms on my vacations- which usually are just days I add on the front or back end of a business trip. Many times it is better to use the MC.  Or i use them to pay for parking, food, spa services, etc.  They also make great gifts - family and friends love them and they dont have to stay at the hotel to use them.  I think it is just one of many great items that Marriott offers.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

This is a topic that comes up from time to time. I appreciate those out there who share. This is an area that I have little knowledge but am getting more and more interested..Thanks to all posters

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Thanks for sharing this with us!

I have never used gift cheques, but will consider them.  It does have some good points to using them.

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

One other benefit to the cheques is that you are credited for a nights stay vs. the use of points.  I have used these a few times in lieu of points when discounted rates are offered.  This has resulted in a lower "price" per night for the use of points vs. MR point redemption. In addition, the net use of cheques for Platinum is 115,000 (130,000 less the 15,000 reward points for a $1000 hotel stay)

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I was poking around the Marriott Site and was not able to find where or how to purchase Gift Cheques now (and couldn't of course figure out what the rate is for Platinum purchase).  Can anyone send me a link to where that is at, or give any instructions?  Thanks!

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

I am getting more interested too..have never used them. Where on the site are they explained?

Shashack, I am interested a lot more, now that I hear that you can get the credit for the nights stay by using them.  I will definitely want to check this out a lot closer, especially like you said, when there are specials going on for price, you would want to do the math, and then take into account the nights stayed credits.  Thanks!

A few questions for you folks that have experience. Thanks for your time.

Do Gift Cheques come in denominations?

When are the Gift Cheques revealed to the property? Is this done at check in? Check out?

If you purchase $1000 of Gift Cheques and have a bill of $800, what happens to the excess? Is it refunded in the form of another Gift Cheque? 

Once purchased, is there an expiration date?

Can left over funds be redeposited in our points account?

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

The Cheques i have recieved ($1000 for 135,000 points) came in $50 denominations.  They expire 1 year from issuance and while they cannot be redeposited they are transferable.  They can be used as cash at a Marriott.  If your bill exceeds the Cheques you pay the difference.   You may find more information by going to Platnium Rewards Marriott Cheques.

Thanks Sha

Thanks Shashack,

I found it right where you said!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

How about buying a $2500 Gift Card in the November/December Time Frame when you get 25,000 bonus points and then apply these points to get a gift check, have the $2500 to use at the Marriott over time. And to make it even better, using your Marriott Visa signature card and you will get an additional $5 points per dollar spent or 12500 points.

Jasper100, Nice tip.  It seems like that might be good for both Silver and Gold members, but it seems it might almost be a break-even in some cases for Platinum members?  Because if you had a $2500 bill at a Marriott Brand and you paid with your Visa at a Platinum level, you would get 25,000 points plus your 50% premium (12,500 points), which would be the same amount.  Now at lower brands where you don't get the 10 points, you would definitely be ahead, even at the Platinum level.

Oops, I think I got some plans mixed up, and we would be ahead even at the Platinum level at Marriott Brands, because we only get 5 points on the Visa Signature card, and not 10 right?

Right..you only get $5 vor the signature card so you break out even on this except you get these points immediately rather than waiting until you stat at the hotel. And of course, when you stay at the hotel, you still get all the points for the stay that would get anyway!!!

So we do get points for using a paying with a gift card?  I was wondering how that was treated. Thanks.

Yes I have done this a number of times over the past few years and always get the 5 points per dollar spent using the Marriott Signature Visa Card. The maximum points you can get is the 25,000. I just hope this offer continues. This usually is a holiday offer in the November/December time frame!!! We shall see. The way the Marriott keeps cutting back on these type benefits, I would not be suprised if they stop this offer. Lets hope not!!!

tmallon Platinum 1 Reviews

Can you use the Marriott Cheques for Marriott rewards offer rates?  I saw in the Terms and Conditions that:

Marriott Cheques may be used for all publicly listed and available room rates and packages, but cannot be used for convention, travel industry, tour, advance purchase, catering, or group room rates.

I would think the "publicly listed would exclude the reward rates but then it says "and available room rates and packages" so I wasn't sure.  I was planning on using them for an upcoming stay with a good rate instead of 225,000 points but now I'm unsure if they will be honored.

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...