Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

21 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2011 10:03 PM by NathalieF RSS

Who is Learning More in This Scavenger Hunt?

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Although it is cumbersome, this scavenger hunt has forced me into learning many things I might have resisted doing on my own.  Nice job Andy!  Who else is benefiting from this?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Who is Learning More in This Scavenger Hunt?
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

It is helping me understand how the new site works and becoming easier the more I use it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

Kudos, to NathalieF for a great scavenger hunt so far.

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Fellow Insiders - My problem is that with my time constraints, I don't have the time to devote to a scavenger hunt to learn a site that, in the past, was intuitive. With the old site, from the first day I logged in, I felt comfortable in being able to navigate through it. While I'd like to be able to spend the time on a scavenger hunt, why should the new site have taken so much functionality out of it, thus requiring us to spend that kind of time to learn it? It's counter-intuitive. It's no longer easy to navigate through which is a real pity.

nhtraveler

franke Gold 4 Reviews

i agree!

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I thought about participating in the scavenger hunts, but when it asks to list where you would travel to throughout the world if you could escape today from all responsibilities for which I would be posting a blog/discussion that is meaningless, I decided to not participate in these hunts after Day 1. I refuse to post anything that is not relevant to the MRI or that does not offer real value. I would rather earn 1K points the "old-fashioned" way - spending a night at a Marriott property or using my MR Visa. Here's hoping that AFTER the scavenger hunts are done that all the tasks requested to be performed are deleted from the site with meaningless clutter..

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

pingreeman:

Well said. I did the scavenger hunt one day to see how quickly my 'skillset' could deal with the tasks for the day that required some digging. I did it (quickly) and decided the tasks on the site aren't the issue, it's the format of clutter to arrive at where one wants to be.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Amen Pingreeman!  Let's get back to basics--this is a Marriott sponsored site and Marriott is the business of hospitality. I applaud them for asking their customers to blog and post about it, but games are a distraction and do not need to be here.  Reminds me of the installed games that come with Office: use them if you want, ignore them if you don't!

The Scavenger Hunt was a method for Marriott to get insiders familiar with the new site. I think it is a little unfair to judge the site over these 5 days and to suggest that it only results in clutter and therefore is unworthy of participating. Once the Scavenger Hunt is completed and insiders have had a chance to learn a little about the new system, things will surely settle down and at that time should be more responsive to insider needs. I agree it creates a lot of unnecessary clutter but we can all tolerate it for these five days. My opinion only!!!

I also agree with the clutter that has been created from the Scavenger Hunt, and wonder if there are any plans to delete of the the posts with Scavenger_Hunt_Day.... entries after this is all over?  Hopfully the @ tags work everywhere so if I add the NathalieF in this post, I hope Andy sees this request?

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

jasper100 and others,

I agree the scavenger hunt was a means of marriott to try and engage members with the new site.  As someone who participated each day, it was helpful in navigating the site, but the same members were participating each day.  I applaud Marriott for their efforts, but think they need to think about additional ways to engage members in using the MRI site.  Ideas, anyone?

Maybe something like telling Marriott Members who do not have Marriott Insiders Profile set up, create a Profile and do a certain number of steps (not including clutter type comments), and they could be award a free check in gift at their next stay, or a free night with 2 paid nights (something Marriott wouldn't really be losing money at) might entice members to try it?  People usually need something in if for them to try something like this.

I did not use it at all.  For most of us older posters familiarity is the name of the game , and the new site is unfamiliar.  Having a game (like many of my assistants did when playing Solitaire on the office PCs and claiming it enhanced their mouse skills) may be fine but the bottom line for me is that when something is complex playing a game does very little to enhance it.

Recall Professor Chiara's comment that this is supposed to be a travel sharing site--how many posts have you seen that fit in this category?

SS..In my opinion, it is unfair during this learning (scavenger hunt) period to compare the number of posts relating to travel sharing versus the old site. I believe a better comparison will be once the learning (scavenger hunt) is completed then how many posts will be for travel sharing.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Same here!

I know, like many people, I have missed opportunities during the Scavenger Hunt but it is not the points, it the "Chase" of trying to do it!

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

True - but why did the project management team not run with my idea of have a real, genuine beta site (with its own special URL with invitations to MRI members to "take it for a test drive") for constructive feedback, user acceptance testing, etc. BEFORE releasing this to the general public? Because the "corporate brains" seam to know what is best for us, not the real users of the site..

Had this been the approach, many of us "regular contributors" would have had time to offer assistance to others, too.

I agree the better approach would have been to run a beta test like you suggested and this has worked against the Marriott. Apparently, Marriott Management decided that this was unnecessary since they were going with change whether the users liked it or not. There strategy must be that insiders over time will forget this, and eventually will just be a bad memory in the past!!!

I totally agree with you on that pingreeman!  As a software developer myself, they should have realized the basic value of Beta Testing and getting testing and feedback from experienced users.  Also, equally important would have been testing by brand new people who don't know their way around, so both groups could test how easy the site is to maneuver around, filter results you don't want, and find things that you do without a huge learning curve.  We can only hope that they get enough feedback to do things differently the time they try an overhaul.  I hope they listen enough to also look at streamlining this existing site also.

I do not think they will learn from this..This has happened several time over the past few years where no beta tests were perfromed. I don't think they really care what the users think.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

I am not as opposed as some to the new site, but I actually wonder how many in Marriott management actually know or hear about what goes on in the MRI site? 

With 1 community manager, how is information / feedback being relayed back to management?

An even better question - how many in Upper Management at Marriott have even been on the old or new MRI site?

"Logic, we don't need no stinkin' logic!"  a paraphrase from "Blazing Saddles" of course.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings Insiders, It's been a productive first week on the new platform and we've seen great participation in our scavenger hunt.

As before, Insiders can contribute to the conversation with discussions or questions, but for anyone interested in sharing, liking, posting a status update, etc., we're excited to provide these new social features. If the social features aren't your thing, that's okay too. They're there if you ever want to use them. For anyone unable or unwilling to complete the activities during the week, I'd invite you to go back and check them out sometime. I've heard from many Insiders throughout the week that said the activities were helpful in learning the new features and nuances.

Have a great weekend and I look forward to the continued travel conversations.

Andy

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...