Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2011 11:05 AM by franke RSS

The New Website

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I've given up.  I had to turn off all the updates because my home/office email was deluged by messages every day so now I will only check Activity every 2-3 days.  While I actually am tech savvy and use different kinds of media all the time in the classroom, I find this site to be unusable, taking far too much of time I don't have to even try to post a message. (It kept telling me I couldn't post where I wanted.)  Moreover, it seems to have only a marginal relationship to travel anymore. So compared to the famous April update of a couple of years ago, I think this site is much worse and I'm not interested in it except for the people I got to meet on the old web site.

For those who like it enjoy!  I'm not trying to be difficult and certainly not Luddite.

ProfChiara

• Re: The New Website
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Hey prof...wait till the flurry of scavanger hunt activity is done. I think then you will find it will become more travel oriented in the posts. I have been using it now for a several days and find it is not as difficult as first thought. As far as getting all those messages you receive, you can turn that feature off so you won't be deluged with e-mail...Anyway, after the scavenger hunt is over, take another look at the site and see if it becomes more tolerable to you at that time. Only one persons contrary opinion of the site. As you know, I was very negative of the site at first, still liked the old site better, but giving the new site and Marriott the benefit of the doubt at this time.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

Prof and jasper,

I can see how the site can be seen as cumbersome to manage/navigate, but I have forced my self to use it frequently to get used to it and it has helped.  I am torn between whether the site is truly cumbersome or if it is "cutting edge" and folks need time to adjust to it.  I am convinced either way that Marriott needs to be open to tweaking the site as a result of feedback.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Prof, once again you are a true voice in the wilderness. Not only is the new site and individual information section cumbersome, it has removed some information that I used all the time, such as a complete list of canceled reservations.  (Yes, I know - I'm like a broken record as I have complained about this numerous times in the past.) I, too, no longer come here as frequently as I used to. I note in the introduction message from Marriott that they were looking to make it easier for us to "socialize." My feeling is, while I am clearly not, repeat not, antisocial, this is not Facebook. This site should be designed for customers of Marriott who who want to convey information about matters relevant to their stays, Marriott Rewards, etc. It should be designed to allow busy people to interact with themselves and Marriott in as direct and time-saving a way as possible. This site does neither, especially in the time-saving department.

Furthermore, the old site allowed one to "socialize" if one wanted to by allowing for members to send messages to other members. This new site is, in my opinion, a disaster. It has taken the enjoyment I used to feel when I entered Insiders and turned it into a frustrating, almost infuriating experience. As a Platinum, I feel immense disappointment bordering on a sense of rejection by Marriott.

Is Andy, or ANYBODY from Marriott listening? I certainly hope so!

nhtraveler

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I think the one thing we forget is that Marriott, as far as I know, is the only hotel chain that has this kind of site for their customers to interact on. At least lets give them kudo's for at least developing this kind of opportunity for customers to share their experiences and get some of their questions answered. While I understand the frustration that many of us are feeling about the revised website (including me), lets not forgot that Marriott has provided an opportunity that other hotel chains have not!!!  Just my opinion!!!

superchief1 Platinum

Overall, I find the new website difficult to navigate and wish it had more topic groupings. However, I found one new feature that I like. Under the 'Browse' section, you are able to see all of the topics that you started, posted, or are following.  This will be helpful, especially since I (like others) will not be checking the site as often as I had in the past.

franke Gold 4 Reviews

don't give up .travel talk will be back!

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I am planning to post a document by the end of this weekend possibly titled, "How to Navigate in 5 minutes" to emulate what we used to do in V2. Then a follow-up document of "Advanced Features" as I believe I am getting a pretty good handle on this site, its features, and its new capabilities.

UPDATE: Instead of doing this document, I am tagging many of my posts regarding TIPS and TRICKS as "JIVE_Tips_n_Tricks" a reference to the system behind the MRI site and also to be more dynamic in my replies and navigation suggestions.

franke Gold 4 Reviews

thanks

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...