31 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2011 4:35 PM by tryt53 RSS

Am I the only one who finds herself feeling too 'old' for this Facebook-like website?

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Though I feel that I am usually relatively open to change, I am now finding myself mostly unhappy with the new site for Rewards Insiders. (I was 'neutral' until I actually tried navigating around today.) Since I do not subscribe to the ego-centered social media sites such as Facebook, perhaps that is part of my problem in adjusting. Is this the dreaded generation gap? So far, though, I am not unhappy with the changes on Marriott.com, but I suppose that could change. I did think the old version was just fine.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Am I the only one who finds herself feeling too 'old' for this Facebook-like website?
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Change that enhances my internet experience and makes my life easier I'll embrace. Some Amish use cell phones, for example.  But in the case of recent changes here things are much more cluttered and non-intuitive, in my opinion, and make Insiders much harder to use.  If there is a way to make the site look better but more user-friendly I hope it's in the works.  Mozilla's Firefox, for example, redesigned its interface time and time again based on user feedback and at the moment it seems to be working just fine for me, very intuitive and very user-friendly. Chrome on the other hand has "issues" as my daughter would say and I have stopped using it,

At its heart, Insiders is about sharing experiences. Now, the new look is getting in the way of doing that, for me and I assume others.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Am I the only one who finds herself feeling too 'old' for this Facebook-like website?
      shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Once again, I whole-heartily agree with ss.  the beauty of the site was it's simplicity.  many of us, I feel, used the site mainly for chatting with our friends and learning from others where to stay and what to expect.  I'm sorry, but this site is just too darn difficult for me to maneuver around in timely manner and gain from the experience.  I will continue to come aboard this "titanic", but I will simply be a passenger that mostly mind his own business.  I just cannot budget the time necessary to learn.....

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I am not a big "facebook" fan either but its starting to seem like we either need to embrace the new social media or be left behind. So I guess I have now chosen to try to embrace it...

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

It wasn't long ago when about all I could do on a computer was use it basically as a word processor.  I had to write reports for work, so I was comfortable with that.  Then I learned how to do research for trips and that was exciting.  Now that I have retired and have more time to learn to do new things, I am hoping that I will eventually become better at navigating the new site.  The scavenger hunt has actually helped me learn more about it.  I am not on facebook and do not text; but I agree with jasper100 that I may need to try to embrace new things.  Even though I'm an old dog, I look forward to learning new tricks.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I have absolutely zero computer training and everything I know about computers is through 'trial and error'. I have a Facebook account but rarely, rarely ever see it unless someone sends me something. However, I do feel I have become fairly good at navigating around and accomplishing tasks of many types with a computer. I do agree that the impetus here is to make an attempt to draw the facebookers to the game. This site is and will remain (in its current format) too cumbersome to be, or become, a facebook friendly type location. Way too many bells and whistles that are just bells and whistles. Problem is, it's constraining the posters who have enjoyed the content in the past. But, my post response to ProfChiara says what I think they feel about us older posters.

It has become very obvious to me that our input during those webchats I participated in had nothing to do with what the intent of the final content would be. I don't mind having new users that want to contribute, but when those facebook code word letters start showing up (and I don't see that happening) to pare down these discussion posts we'll know a diferent game has begun. I don't see it. Let's wait until the dust settles.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Nan,

I feel just like you!

The Marriott Insiders is the only site I frequent.  Took myself off Facebook and year ago, and do not miss it one bit. Got tired of hearing about everyone's "Aches and pains".  Likewise, I really think it is too easy for people to violate your privacy.

Hang in there!

• Am I the only one who finds herself feeling too 'old' for this Facebook-like website?
    bloombergtv Member

the worst part about navigating is having to scroll down and up and sideways. At least facebook is all on one page.

Why cant my messages be at the top of the page?

I dont like Facebook but do it once a month.

traveler2 Platinum

Don't feel that way. I had trouble today myself!  I am not sure that I am liking this trend towards a social media web site. I liked it just fine the old way!

franke Gold 4 Reviews

don,'t feel bad i have no clue what i'm doing.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

I appreciate your honesty on the subject and we hope you'll continue to hang around as the community grows and settles. Everyone is still feeling their way around the community and trying out the new features. For example, the Activity page has largely been showing updates as new members join, but the beauty of this page is that it's always changing. You may not find it useful now, but as the site settles this is a great page to quickly scan all the recent activity (posts, comments, likes, status updates, etc).

Gold

You are not alone...I want to delete my profile and close my account in this silly thing.  This isn't what I was expecting and I don't have time for social networking.  Each minute that goes by increases my anxiety.  This is Hotel California by Marriott.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

The Eagles did a great job on that song, numbner six on the top 100 of all time.  Wish I could say the same for Insiders.  Every day some new issue appears  and has to be explained bu one of us or the CM. So what's the deal? Are we lost in social media hell?

What is the solution?

Several:

1. Wait it out and hope that common sense prevails (Netflix realized their error)
      2. Stop being an active participant  but check in from time to time, or
      3. Leave the site and Insiders to others, and never post or play again.

I guess we are all facing this decision, aren't we?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I was once on the leading edge of societal changes...I embraced developments and was proud to be on the front lines of progress. I would talk with friends and computers, email, The Sopranos, DWTS, The Googoo Dolls, Red Hot Chili Peppers would come up and I would beam with confidence.

Mine was the world where I never was outdated.

One day, my wife was explaining how she was using Facebook to keep in touch with high school friends for reunion tracking. Something didn't sound right. For the first time (beside gangsta rap) I not only didn't feel the need to get involved, I was pooh poohing the whole idea. Facebook was something for kids. I am a cultured adult!!! 

Well, guess who started to feel as if the world was finally passing me by.   It took a while but I didn't like the idea of not participating in the fun. It's been hard, I joined Facebook, but haven't embraced the venue. I see how some folks navigate, post pictures, share ideas, and so on. I'm in the game, but mainly watching from the bench. I just think I'm getting old. Some day, we all get old and the next generations move on without us. It's perfectly natural, but it still feels funny.

• Am I the only one who finds herself feeling too 'old' for this Facebook-like website?
    razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I'm so far behind the "social media craze" that I did not even realize the revision to Marriott Insiders was an attempt to go in that direction.  I actually use the site like I used to...reading and writing about destinations...

heatherjt Marriott Associate

In all honesty, the re-launch of Insiders is not a strategic direction to be more like Facebook.  We switched vendors because you told us you were unhappy with the old site and our previous vendor just couldn't make the changes we needed in a rapid fashion.  When we announced the new site we said it had Facebook-like features because we thought, that at least for some of you, that would make it easier.  But this is not about trying to appeal to a younger demographic or changing the intent and purpose of the site.  I'm truly sorry some of you are struggling with the new features but I do hope you hang in there.  We're trying to build up a set of tutorials to help you but also feel free to share the specific aspects that trouble you.    shoeman1000 mentioned the idea of a separate chat room - is that something you would find useful?  We have groups in the new site and if some sort of support group would help you guys get tips & tricks from each other we could set that up.  Just let me know.   pingreeman has authored a number of tips & tricks already - like this one The specified item was not found. - that you may find helpful.  Thanks Pingreeman!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Yo Heather,

Welcome.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Heather - welcome - and good luck working through the feedback.

• Is there any way we can convince you to shrink (or dispense with) the huge portal-style graphic at the top of the page?  At least some of us are frustrated that - with the fixed frame design - it means that we're always scrolling down (which seems like it's unnecessary because there's not much value added in the header).
      • You mentioned two potential tweaks, but is it safe to assume that you (or someone) is scrolling through (or trolling) for the various feedback and gripe discussion threads?  I thought there were a lot of good discussions early on (regarding, for example, simpler navigation to find cities/destinations, profile badges, avoiding unnecessarily denigrating user labels (such as newbie, novice, and apprentice - which some "customers" might not find as amusing as your web design team) ....

Best wishes!

engineergirl Platinum 1 Reviews

As someone who works extensively with college students, Facebook is a fact of my life. It's also the best way to keep tabs on what my 75 year old mom is doing, although the phrase "TMI" comes to mind sometimes!  But I haven't felt Insiders has become Facebook, or even FB-like, so maybe my tech-savvy personal meter is off.

I have, however, noticed a marked increase in interaction with Marriott folks and I applaud that!  You can't design something to make everyone completely happy, but it makes a difference to see not only that you have multiple monitors but that you are also contributors.  Fact is, we all have a vested interest in Marriott's future and while the site is different, it has strengths and weaknesses just as the old one did.

Two things I could do without:  the descriptor badges (maybe I'm just ticked because I'm a rookie ) and all the darn polls.  I guess I'm also just cluing into the number of posts thing so realizing that likely has something to do with all the polls.  Obviously, I didn't bother with reading all the initial stuff at startup; think that's a curse of being an engineer to worry about the directions later!

heatherjt Marriott Associate

Thanks guys.  We are working with our moderation team to summarize all the specific feedback that has been provided since launch.  Once we get a good handle on that we may reach back out to get clarification on some things, if needed.  And I'll make sure the top image and status bars are added to the list. 

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

I thought I'd answer myself, so to speak, now that it's been almost a month since I posted the original question re my frustration. I'd like to report that now that I am using the site more and navigating around on a daily basis, I am beginning to get the hang of it and have begun to accept its reality.....I guess it's not so bad after all.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I have to agree with you too.  I have been using it almost every day (except when we were gone on vacation for 2 weeks), and am finding it easier to use.  Maybe with a few more added features, we will start to like it more.  I think getting some involvement allowed from Marriott is a big plus!  It truly does a lot, just to get a little feedback that you are being heard and your ideas are being considered.  Nobody expects all of their ideas to be adopted (I only want 99% of mine adopted ), but everyone wants to feel they are being listened to.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...