9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2011 10:59 PM by franke RSS

Travel discussion, anyone?

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am definitely not a social media person and new self-identification as a grumpy professor is getting more so -- at the same time I am visiting the site less and less. I really couldn't care less about badges next to my name, which seems to be the main topic now -- I want travel discussion.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Travel discussion, anyone?
    jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

prof,

While I must admit, I have contributed to the "Badges" discussion, I am in agreement that I would like more travel discussion.  As someone who enjoys pleasure traveling and aspires to travel more I would love to see more "trip reports" and sharing of tips for certain destinations.  I am an infrequent follower / reader of the roadfood.com forums, a website dedicated to restaurant gems around the country.  But one of the things I enjoy most when I do check the forum on that site is reading Trip Reports from posters about the trips they took to various restaurants and feedback on the quality of food and service, along with tips of other places / things to do.  I would love more of this on Insiders, I'd use it as a way to decide future travel plans.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Come on everybody. While I agree I want to have a lot of discussion about travel, I also feel like you can have a little fun on the site with badges. Does not hurt anything and you have a choice whether you acknowledge the badge system or not and at the same time post travel discussion to your hearts content.

• Travel discussion, anyone?
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Well that is the stated intent of the Insiders and was since day one.  I think what we're seeing is "water cooler chat," much like that occurs Monday morning after a football-filled weekend, and in this case deals with a vastly different and complex Insiders relaunch (muligan?).

I'd suggest that once we shake the tree enough one of several things will happen:

1. New people will come on board with no inkling of what was once a travel sharing site, or
    2. Old (in terns of participation)  people will stay on the site and live with the changes, hoping to salvage what was there, or
    3. Everyone will give up!

But the old Insiders as we know it seems to be gone, and whatever the intent of the new site, with it goes the travleing commentary as the primary focus (at least for now).

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

I agree, and, Prof, that was one of my complaints when I had the phone interview...talk of travel like we used to have has declined since the new insiders made its debut.  Yes, I have been participating(if I can figure it out) in the Scavenger hunt, in hopes of getting to know this site better, but I do miss the way we would share things on the old forum. Right now, the Scavenger hunt takes up a lot of my time(lucky for me I can usually try it outage the baby is napping), and my posts or replies lately have been about how to figure out this new system.  Hopefully after things settle down, we can get back to the heart of travel talk with ease, like we used to.  I think we need to keep raising our voices to Marriott. Maybe they can create an "old fogey's" link that would take us back to the old forum in one click;) I would be the first to subscribe, that is, if I could figure out just how to do that!!!  This really does make me feel old and grumpy, too, at times...

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

ProfChiara:

I agree that we should be talking about travel experiences and not how to share boring content with others who don't have one iota of interest in me changing a profile. If they want to know who, or what, I may be, they'll click on my profile if desired. I do understand that the community managers are trying to get as many folks to an understanding of this new site as possible though various processes (scavenger hunts, etc..). They must also do that and be successful at it before 'new blood' has the 'I'm not interested in this' brain cell take over. That success will be measured in how many new posters have regular content they bring to the site. WE can see that success by just watching how many new names have shown up in recent posts. The answer to date: Just a few.

Now, that being said, I believe the higher up 'powers that be' have directed that a change take place that brings a 'new blood' (spelled, new customer revenue stream potential for our hotel product) to this site. The posters of the past (all of us) are just posters of the past.

I do believe that the postings will eventually re-translate to the past discussion direction (travel experiences) because this site is not prepared to keep and maintain the 'facebooker' types for the info and discussion they really want. After all, they still have Facebook.

Of course, just my opinion..........

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I think things will get back closer to normal after all this scanvenger hunt activity is over..I understand Marriotts effort to get people trained up on the new site. But once things settle down I feel confident that the site will be more focused on travel discussion like the old site..Let's give the site a chance to settle down!!!!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

Count me out as well!

I love being  "Low profile"!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...