This discussion is locked
13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2011 7:14 PM by NathalieF RSS

Spirit to Serve

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I'd recommend that we make a section on this new site titled "Spirit to Serve," at one time and perhaps still the Marriott motto.  In this section we could recognize those Marriott associates who've gone more than the extra mile to make our stays exceptional, perhaps the best ever!  In days of letter writing I have penned a few of these an they would make their way to the CEO and if accepted result in special recognition for the associate.

Seem like a good idea?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Spirit to Serve
    arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Dear SS,

An excellent idea; I'd be happy to support you.

One small point: a month or so ago, I submitted a post which named two MR staff who'd been particularly helpful in resolving a long-running and complex points issue. After a week or so, I received word from the "moderator" that my post had been edited to remove specific name references.

I wonder if you, or another Insider, or Andy  know whether this is in fact the policy for this Site, or whether it was an isolated response.

Thank you

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

We might get around these concerns voiced here so well by sending a Private Message to the moderator/community manager in which we name the individual, using full names.  Under the ancien regime, pre-new-look, the use of full names was caught (most of the time) and eliminated.  To Pingreemam's point--yes there is a semi-permeable membrane that separates most associates from us on Insiders, but I think we could solve this by having a button on the new site that says "Recommend An Associate for Special Recognition"  This could lead directly to Marriott corporate and if there are additional detailes required the communication could continue apace.

I think going to customer care (and I think there's a period between the words but am not sure) is good but it then runs afoul of a larger organizational structure.

Comments?

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

SS - Sorry, but with all due respect, I still disagree with using the MRI site as a segue way to giving associates kudos. That is not the intent of this site. You make a good point on the customer care email as possibly getting lost in the corporate conundrum of other (more important?) business, but that was hopefully identified when CC'ing the general manager of the property. Never-the-less, I will change my suggestion to: write a note directly to the GM either on a survey card, or as I have done in the past, on the little note-pad supplied on each desk. I leave it with the front desk clerk and specifically ask to put it in the GMs incoming mailbox (typically a walk to the back offices - sweet and clean).

By getting information directly to the GM, he/she has more influence on the associate's career, compensation, bonus, etc. than anyone else in the Marriott food chain. I know first-hand that the survey cards are extremely valuable in employee performance reviews - especially when a small note is added about why the praise or criticism. (I was at a FF for 23 months; at month 20, the breakfast area manager, whom I had gotten to know very well, had a poor performance review and told me that unless the survey cards started coming in positive, her days were numbered. She handed me a couple of cards to fill out to boost her ratings [I did not as I was too biased after 20 months to really comment with integrity]. The following month, she was let go after having served as the only manager the property ever had from opening day.)

In summary, I believe contacting the GM is the most effective and influential route.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

SS - usually your ideas are grand, but I have reservations on this suggestion. Considering Marriott Corporate "limits their participation" in the MRI and Marriott Associates cannot be MRI members, few people would really benefit from a Spirit To Serve discussion or group. We would have a bunch of names to which few, if any, MRI members would relate. I would rather encourage MRI and ALL MR members to write an e-mail to customercare@marriott.com to offer kudos - and if planned ahead, cc: the general manager at the property in question. THAT would do more for exceptional service that a blog or discussion IMO.

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Pingreemen,

On reflection, I appreciate the strength of your argument. My only concern with following the "Customer Care" route, as you suggest, lies in the potential difficulty in knowing  whether (a) your tribute was received and (b) put to some constructive use. I say this only because my (occasional) experience of using the CC function has suggested that the initial correspondence doesn't necessarily trigger an "acknowledgement of receipt" response. I'd encourage anyone following your suggestion specifically to request at least a formal acknowledgement.

Thank you 

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

This is well done and I agree with your opinion.

brucewayne Platinum 2 Reviews

Great idea.     Marriott could also list a tab on line for reward members to do the same when we log in, most employees welcome a positive comment.      Thanks to all the marriott employees over the years for such great service, A smile and Welcome always starts off a good stay..

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

BW,

So right!  A smile and Welcome, go a long way!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I see that some folks sense that this is the wrong portal or vehicle for inputting/submitting employee recognition, and I understand (or at least respect) that perspective.  But I do think that this community is well positioned to help Marriott come up with creative ways for its best (or most experienced or most loyal) customers to recognize exceptional service.

Is anyone aware whether Marriott has experimented with sending its more frequent travelers (Platinum Premiers, Platinums, Gold, whatever) coins or coupons or chits that they/we could throw in our suitcases and present (or hand out) to exceptional employees during our travels?

United Airlines sent out coupons for a number of  years, and they were great - if someone did something nice for you, you could - in addition to saying thanks - hand them the coupon.  I'm assuming that the individuals received incentives/prizes if they accumulated a certain number.

What I like about this approach - instead of (and in addition to) any opportunity to give feedback to a manager or someone at headquarters via telephone or email - is that there, basically, are no transaction costs.  I don't have to remember anyone's name (or spell it correctly), I don't have to figure out their last name, I don't have to avoid losing the note that I wrote the name on (or remember why I wrote down that name in the first place).... 

How many times have you received a special service (particularly when you're rushing off to a meeting, or trying to catch a taxi to the airport, or while you're on the phone, or when the last thing you want/need to worry about is the Marriott employee's name) and you'd wish you could do something more than just offer a since thank you?

Conversely, I'm guessing that some folks will say, gee, isn't a tip the solution?  And maybe they're right....

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

ssindc,

An interesting suggestion, though for me personally remembering to give a coin / coupon or having it with me when I wanted to give it would be a barrier.

brucewayne,

Having a place to submit them once logged in is a great idea.  That way there is a level of privacy, but associates still hopefully receive some recognition.

Segments Platinum 4 Reviews

USair has a similar program called "Above and Beyond"  that gives frequent flyers coupons that can be awarded when exceptional service is received.    They can either be given to the employee on the spot or mailed to customer care.

I believe the program is used to put employee names into a raffle that awards customer excellence bonus dollars to the winners.

Yes, it's one more thing to carry but the paper coupons are easy to stash in my briefcase.

STS recognition is very special and must come from the Marriott CEO through a vetting process.  The personnel I have managed to get awarded were given a head's up from their GM (whom I did not CC on my nomination) that it was coming from HQ. Top down worked best in this case.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

I'm closing this thread since we've now started the Spirit to Serve section for nominations within the community. Thanks everyone!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...