2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 27, 2011 7:48 PM by razorbackfan RSS

2011 Summer Trip

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Our most recent vacation took us to the northwest for almost 4 weeks.  We flew to Anchorage and enjoyed a night at the Courtyard at the airport.  I say night, but it was daylight at 1 AM when we arrived.  The shuttle driver and the receptionist were so enthusiastic at this time of the morning.  We moved to the downtown Marriott and spent the next 2 nights (on points) and enjoyed the sights of Anchorage.  The concierge lounge had an awesome view of the surrounding mountains.  I was disappointed to discover that the mountains I was seeing were not in Denali National Park.  We left Anchorage and traveled to Seward where we left on a southbound Alaskan cruise.  The scenery is incredible.  I picked up a piece of ice in the lake near Mendanhall Glacier that was approximately 250 years old.  I wanted to keep it as a souvenir, but decided it would never make it back to south Louisiana (HA HA).  We took a whale watching trip that resulted in the most memorable event of the entire trip.  As we approached the feeding area at Adolphus Point, we could see whales in every direction.  Our boat captain stopped the boat and it wasn't long before a whale came up about 15 feet from the boat feeding with his mouth wide open.  We could see the barnacles on his skin.  We loved every minute of the cruise and plan to return to Alaska soon.

We docked in Vancouver on Canada Day and had a great stay at the Marriott Pinnacle (on points).  My husband took beautiful pictures of the fireworks with the Olympic Torch in the foreground.  It was lit for the evening festivities.  From Vancouver, we took the train to Seattle where we stayed at the Seattle Marriott Waterfront (on points) for 2 nights before heading to Whidbey Island and a nice stay at the Fairfield Inn in Burlington (at a fantastic advance purchase rate).  We returned to Seattle and took the ferry to Victoria where we stayed at the Victoria Marriott Inner Harbor.  I could have spent a week or more there.  We went to Butchart Gardens which were beautiful.  On the way there, we were treated to a very special sighting of 2 eagles getting ready to fly for the first time, the parents, and a "teen-age" eagle trying to return to the nest who was chased away by one of the parents.  We returned to Seattle and stayed for 5 nights on points.  We were impressed with the level of service at the hotel.  It was so convenient to everything we wanted to see.  Because of an early flight, we spent our last night at the Fairfield Inn near the airport.

I will post pictures when my husband gets home and can send me the files.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Anchorage, Alaska, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Anchorage Airport
Anchorage, Alaska, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Anchorage Marriott Downtown
Seattle, Washington, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn Seattle Sea-Tac Airport
Seattle, Washington, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Seattle Marriott Waterfront
Burlington, Washington, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Burlington
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Marriott Hotels & Resorts Courtyard Ogden
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada Marriott Hotels & Resorts Courtyard South Pattaya
  • Re: 2011 Summer Trip
    NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Excellent post! Thank you so much for sharing and I can't wait to see a few photos.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: 2011 Summer Trip
      razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Thank you.  I love writing about our trips.  I don't keep a journal when we travel, so it helps me remember more of the details.  The pictures will be up in just a few minutes.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...